1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.

23.4kWh Renault Fluence battery packs from the Better Place bankruptcy $3600

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Kevin Sharpe, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

FINALLY HERE! Limited consignment of 23.4kWh Renault Influenza battery packs from the Better Place bankruptcy liquidation in Israel. AS IS WHERE IS. No manufacturer support or warranty. No returns and no refunds.

SPECIAL PRICE FOR ONE WEEK ONLY - $3600 until Friday, March 6, 2014 at 12:00 noon.

This is a grab bag. We acquired 72 Renault Fluenze battery packs in like new condition. Each pack contains 48 modules identical in all respects to the Nissan Leaf battery modules. They were made by the same company in Japan, Automotive Energy Corporation.

Each module is 7.5v, 65Ah. This makes a 23.4kWh pack of LiMn2O4 lithium cells available for the price of lead acid batteries.

This battery pack weighs over 600 lbs and will require liftgate for residential delivery. Comes in specially designed cargo carrier.

US - EVTV

EU - EVTV (via New Electric)

better-place-renault-fluence-battery.jpg

2. AndyG

AndyG Moderator Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Chevrolet Volt, Nissan LEAF
    Kevin….
    Are they avalible in the uk? I can only see them on the US site

3. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Contact New Electric in Amsterdam, they are the EU warehouse for EVTV and are bringing some over :)

http://newelectric.nl

4. AndyG

AndyG Moderator Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Chevrolet Volt, Nissan LEAF
    That was exactly my thoughts!!!!!!!!!!

5. cjm_2013

cjm_2013 Well-Known Member

It has a vertical packaging to make it easier to load and unload - the design was driven by a rapid-swap concept that failed to gain momentum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place

I'd love one of these. But I have no idea where I'd keep it in the house. It'd be great on a trailer though! Imagine - your own 48kWh leaf - even better if someone could rig up a switch that would knock the main battery cables over to the trailer pack when you get a VLBW flashing up!

6. Paul_Churchley

Paul_Churchley Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Unfortunately towing with the Leaf is not legal and will certainly risk invalidating your insurance.

Nice idea tho :)

7. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

If you want to see the battery technology used in the Leaf, Fluence, and ZOE start watching at 1:56:45 :)

8. Darren Griffin

Darren Griffin Moderator Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Fascinating stuff, thanks Kevin. You can clearly see they're the same cell packs as the Leaf, impressively over engineered pack, understandable given the implementation.

9. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

If you want one of these packs then contact Anne Kloppenborg at New Electric TODAY... 20 packs sold yesterday!

10. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Yeh, fascinating what they could have done with this technology and I have no doubt the DIY crowd will produce some awesome cars and show them the way forward :)

11. Paul_Churchley

Paul_Churchley Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    I would love to have battery storage in the house. Ecotricity is developing a turnkey solution that includes batteries, inverter etc. Last I heard was they are testing in preparation for submitting for approval but that can take years!

A better solution IMO is to use the car with a car-2- home system. I am sure they will come but it seems a way off.

If I had space to store these I would certainly get some at that price... it seems great value.

I didn't think it was legal to use a battery storage system to supply the whole house on the same consumer unit as mains because of G83 regs. Am I wrong? Are there G83 (or whatever the code is!) compliant systems that now permit it?

12. Trevor Larkum

Trevor Larkum Active Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Paul C, are you thinking of Ecotricity's Black Box system?

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/about-ecotricity/eco-labs/the-black-box

I talked to them about it last week and was told it wasn't for domestic storage, but for grid balancing and cost offsetting. There was no mention of a home storage system being developed by them.

Kevin, like Paul N, Paul C and Andy I would be very interested in a solar storage system (possibly half a dozen of them) based on these or similar battery packs. I don't suppose ZCW has something like that up its sleeve? There's a big market for them, and it's growing.

13. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Non Member

Unfortunately, the investment required is well beyond what ZCW can undertake as a charity. However, Mainpine is developing lots of pieces of this technology and my VW conversion will have DC-DC charging for example to explore direct PV charging without an inverter.

Here's an interesting project - DIY ESS Kit

14. Trevor Larkum

Trevor Larkum Active Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    I know Christophe and his DIY ESS - in fact, he sent me an email about the EVTV Fluence sale and suggested you would be interested in knowing about it but he didn't have your address.

Is there anything that could be done to hasten development? I'm not very strong on electronics, but I know programming and have some funds.