1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Ampera first thoughts - charging

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by John Donald, Jan 6, 2017.

1. John Donald

John Donald New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Good morning all.

Picked up the car yesterday - 2014 Ampera with 14k on the clock. Very nice. Anyway...

I commute daily from Gatwick to Deptford in London via M23 - M25 - A2. Total distance approx. 45 miles.
    Last night, I charged the car at home for approx. 10 hours which gave a full charge. It got me to Bexleyheath on the A2 which I was very pleased with. Over 200mpg for the whole journey!

When I plugged it in (to the mains) at work this morning, the display told me that charging would be complete at 8.30pm - that's 9 or so hours. Just wanted to ask if this was normal, and whether there is any way of speeding it up.

Also, electricity costs - presumably it would cost the same to fully charge the batteries (ie at home) whether it took an hour or 20 hours?

Thanks guys. I am new to EVs, so would appreciate any assistance. The car is white and I live in Horley near Gatwick airport. Give us a wave.

:) John

2. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    John .. at home ... do you use a 13amp 3pin plug, or, a 32amp Rolec Electrician installed job?
    If the first, the second might sort your speeding up answer.

3. John Donald

John Donald New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Thank you. Yes I use the 13A 3-pin socket. I have just emailed Chargemaster to see about getting a charge point put in.

4. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    John, Ampera full charge takes almost exactly 12 kWh for the 10.4 you'll see reported as used. So a 16 or 32A Chargemaster/Rolec etc will charge car at its max rate, 14A, so that's about 3.2 kW. So in theory should take 3.7 hours, in practice more like 4 to 4.5 I think. On your granny EVSE you should be able to select 6 or 10A rate, taking appx 10 hours or 6 hours respectively. Something like that.

People here recommend running the granny EVSE at 6 rather than 10A, as less chance of overheating sockets/wiring, assuming you can spare the extra time!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    John Donald likes this.
  5. donald

donald Well-Known Member

You have left it in '6 Amp' charge mode, which takes 10 hours or so. You can set it to 10 Amp mode which takes around 6 hrs.

Don't take this the wrong way but.... RTFM! :D

John Donald likes this.
  6. John Donald

John Donald New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Hahaa. NEVER read instructions. Ever.

7. John Donald

John Donald New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Thanks. I have switched to 10A charging and it has decreased expected charging time by 3 hours.

8. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    John Donald likes this.
  9. donald

donald Well-Known Member

Do check the plug temperature after an hour or so of charging, though. At 10A a dodgy socket may risk overheating. A good condition socket should be fine, and your 3 pin will be body-warm only, but not hot.

John Donald likes this.
  10. hopbackguy

hopbackguy Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Do make sure that the socket you've plugged the evse into isn't getting too warm - 10A continuously for about 6 hours is usage that socket has probably never had before.

John Donald likes this.