1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Ampera Tailgate Rubber Stop Substitute Info

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicle Classifieds' started by HandyAndy, Jan 10, 2017.

1. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Ampera tailgate has 2 rubber stops in the corners, and these tend to get lost! The original looks like this:
    upload_2017-1-10_17-17-6.jpeg

The active bit is 15mm deep, and the spigot is 8mm dia with a 100mm dial lip; the hole in the tailgate is 9mm dia, so these bumpers are a loose fit and easily detached.

An eBay UK search didn't reveal any exact matches, biut I did find a self-adhesive 15mm polyurethane bumper which is 46mm diameter. They look like this:

upload_2017-1-10_17-23-1.jpeg

To buy a pair (cost me £4.77 incl postage), put this search string into eBay:
    46mm x 15mm Round Self Adhesive Rubber Feet Stops (Pack of 2) EZ404

As supplied they are too large in diameter to fit, but as they're sticky over the entire surface they can be cut-down to fit. I used a brand-new scalpel-blade, as the polyurethane is extremely difficult to cut through. A brand-new carpet knife blade should do, or maybe sharp side-cutters if you have a pair. Take great care!!!
    After trimming, I cleaned the area with lighter fuel. White Spirit or Isopropyl Alcohol should also be fine, avoid Cellulose thinner in case it attacks the paint, and avoid petrol as this contains additives.

Here's what the trimmed parts, and the assembled result look like:
    upload_2017-1-10_17-36-23.jpeg
    It's a cold day, so the bumper doesn't feel super-sticky, but I think it will hold and bed itself in a bit. The tailgate shuts perfectly with no problems. Problem solved as far as I'm concerned!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    E Geeza, Marli and VasilisKent like this.
  2. Marli

Marli Active Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Just spotted these were missing. Ebay order en-route.