1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Passat GTE company car drivers

Discussion in 'VW Passat GTE' started by Boyfrom64, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64 New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I am looking to place an order for a Passat GTE as my next company car and I am interested to hear from any company car driver who is driving this model, to hear your views on the car.

2. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    You might be a ground breaker, not sure that many UK Co Car drivers have had their deliveries!
    Lots of NL / Scandi drivers it seems, maybe some of them can comment how they find it.

Of course there are many many threads for the Golf version, and one assumes 90% of them will apply to the Passat. Not sure if it's slightly higher total horsepower creates any noticeable difference.
    Charging issues / timers / eManager-website-app would be the same I'd have thought.

3. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I was going to get one but the huge lead times put me off.

I went for a diesel instead. Still, I have the Leaf as a family car to offset that at least.

4. Hugh T

Hugh T Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    i would hold off ordering an EV as a company car until the detail of the Autumn Statement comes out - EV company car drivers are going to be severely hit, due to conflicting consultation papers issued by HMRC at the same time (one speaks of encouraging EV company cars, whereas the other whacks up the tax significantly).

5. Shakeitallabout

Shakeitallabout New Member

Hi, just joined. I've just ordered a Passat Estate GTE Advance as a company car, currently waiting for the lease company to confirm the order. VW have advised that it will would be delivered mid to end of Feb. They did have a few non advance models available right away but I preferred to wait and get the spec I want.

I had a test drive for a few days before ordering, the biggest plus for me was the actual range in EV mode. It is quoted at 31 miles and achieved 25-28 miles on my normal commute (start stop on a road) with heated seats on. I also tried a BMW 225 XE and found the boot was far too small for dog + baby, and the range was disappointing, quoted at 19 and I got about 14, not enough to get to work and back. I also tried an Outlander 4X (I think!) and understood why they are so popular but coming from a BMW 5 series I didn't think the sat nav was any good and there were some odd features, like it had parking cameras but no sensors. The real world range of the outlander was better than the bmw, but personally I think the VW is even better.

I've gone with Urano Grey with power boot & black lining. It comes with tons of kit as standard, but with the low BIK, even when it increases to 9% in April, the net is just over £100PM, a complete no brainer for me. Boot is huge, quality is excellent (even coming from BMW) and technology is up there with the best. Can't wait till Feb :)

John Riley, MrPaulus and gladini like this.
  6. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Thank you for the comparison detail - very interesting, I did think the 225 might be closer in space to the Passat.
    Out of interest I thought the Outlander did >not< have pure EV mode, and that you had to be really really gentle on the throttle to stop the engine waking up ? ( And in cold ish weather it wakes up any way ? )
    Congrats on the actual range - impressed ( spelt jealous ) .

7. jdsx

jdsx Well-Known Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    There are strong rumours Updated Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV revealed in Paris that the MY17 Outlander will have a pure EV mode....

8. Shakeitallabout

Yeah I was really disappointed with the 225. I would have loved to have stayed with BMWs, I've been lucky and proud to have owned a 1, z4, 3 and most recently a 520d m sport. For PHEVs their options were limited. It's such a shame they don't do a 330e touring.

Yes the 225xe boot was tiny. I have a 116d 5 door as a pool car (99g co2, no hybrids on the list :-( ) and the boot in that seemed bigger. Good that it has 4WD and the option list was not crazy priced but just not suitable.

I've heard there is an x1 PHEV coming and a 530e but it would be at least 9 months till they are in market. X5 40e is too expensive. And personally not an SUV fan.

Maybe I used the outlander in eco mode? I drove it for 300 miles and didn't use any fuel. Actually really liked it, thought I'd hate it

9. Shakeitallabout

Delivery date confirmed as first week of March, let the wait begin :-(

10. Leccy

Leccy Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    When did you place the order?

Did you request March or is that the earliest they can deliver?

11. Shakeitallabout

The order was placed via my fleet team mid Nov but it's taken a couple of weeks getting ALD and the dealer talking. I think there were some price increases in between my quote and placing the order.

The dealer thinks it would be early March. I personally don't care about having a new number plate and would rather get it ASAP.

I've been on the VW tracker and the order is with the factory awaiting a build slot. Hoping it comes a few weeks early but really no idea how it works, i.e. What factors would bring it forward or back?

Leccy likes this.
  12. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

My GTE was ordered in March 15 with an initial delivery schedule of 12 weeks and got delayed twice to be finally delivered in August 15. Iirc some waited less some more with no rhyme or reason. You may find the Passat has less popularity than the Golf so the scheduling less susceptible to change.

13. Shakeitallabout

Did VW give a reason for the delay? That's my worry at the moment as I think mine will be one of the first GTE Advance models in the U.K. We have a 116d as a pool car until the Passat is delivered which is good on tax but terrible on practicality with a dog/baby/wife/me (6ft 5) and our stuff

14. Shakeitallabout

Also roughly how long does it take from order being received at the factory, for a build week to be allocated?

15. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

The delays were on the build week shifting after factory order recieved and explained as its a new car with unexpected demand. Once it entered build the process was (or seemed) relatively quick.

16. drpps

drpps Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I have just spotted a Passat GTE on the road for the first time, so obviously starting to filter out.

17. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Was it me? I had mine 3 days ago! A virtually full spec Advance. Pretty happy so far .. :D Still learning how to use all the toys! .. Oh and how to get the best out of the battery in medium range journeys ... still loads to learn :confused:

18. drpps

drpps Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Between Aylesbury and Thame late morning yesterday.
    I still spend most journeys in my golf tweaking modes etc with the aim of getting home with 1 or 0 miles remaining. Bit tough in winter though as the range does tend to disappear.
    Enjoy

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  19. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Almost! .. I got off the M40 at Oxford services yesterday at about 2:30pm. Must have been quite a high density of GTE's in the Oxford / Aylesbury corridor yesterday ;)

As for me, yes I'm trying to match your method of getting to "empty" by the time I get somewhere I can reinstall some electrons. Only tried a couple journeys so far and very hard to estimate how quick the battery gets used this time of year!

I guess I'm happy with the EV side of things, just not impressed at long distance petrol mpg .. :(
    I suppose I was expecting a little better than 40mpg ..

Does anyone know if the 1.4TSI improves mpg wise after "running in"?

20. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    @Tekkfreak I didn't really notice a running in improvement, more that I'd got used to the Hybrid mode sensitivity on the throttle bringing in the petrol engine. i managed to eek things a bit better once I'd got the hang of that.

I am keen to know if the new modern dials you have contain any interesting GTE/EV related views ?
    ie better showing of the battery left etc, or a variation on the little bar of throttle pressure in Hybrid that goes off when the engine kicks in.