Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts
@gladini
@TekkfreakI am keen to know if the new modern dials you have contain any interesting GTE/EV related views ?
ie better showing of the battery left etc, or a variation on the little bar of throttle pressure in Hybrid that goes off when the engine kicks in.
It's a little difficult to say as I don't know what you have on your Golf .. But my guess is that the information isn't any different, just the views are slightly different (in different places).

To be honest I'm not that impressed with the cluster, with the info spread across a lot of separate sub-screens and no real way of getting all the info you want in one area. The IVI screen info is also really bad and terrible to get to. Not even graphs like the old Prius journey mpg style ..

And don't even talk to me of how bad the car-net UI is ... Arrgggh. :eek::mad::confused:

Yes does help it I include a picture to show what I mean ... here we go --- the thicker white bar under the enginemotor is the one that fills blue as the battery-power-demand grows. Fill it up fully, and the engine then kicks in.

I also found this pic, I think of your setup, I am jealous of the battery gauge on the lower left .....
http://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-driving-prod/uploads/2015/07/Passat_GTE_Display_2.jpg

Attachments

@gladini .. here's a shot of my dial this morning .. running in EV mode.
I think the "battery-power-demand" you mentioned maybe the blue segmented bar on the bottom RHS .. although this only empties when there only a few miles to go.
And yes the tacho only appears in when engine starts ..
I haven't really played with GTE mode yet, but I'm sure tacho would be showing .. with a different battery view ..
Car Vehicle Speedometer Auto part Measuring instrument

Could you try a pic, when in Hybrid, with a 10% or higher battery, and at a halt.

With the trip computer ( the one between the dials ) set up Hybrid. I think at the moment you're in the Driving Data setting of it. Hope that makes sense.

@gladini .. yeah I'll try to grab one later.

The Hybrid view in the center is just a moving graphic .. no useful info at all. That's why I'm pretty unimpressed with the UI software on the cluster. It's like VW "cluster" team don't know how to build useful software for the area they have (screen real estate) and just show info they used to show in smaller spaces (like on your panel). Talk about distraction, you have to scroll through so many views of useless single numbers ..

It really gets me mad .. :mad::mad::censored:(n):mad::mad:

And why not show totals of Kwh or litres used .. (like someone mentioned in another thread) .. this would be so much easier to compare the same commute journeys.

@gladini .. I think I have the shot you wanted!?!!? And realise you were wanting to see the BLUE bar that was on your middle screen. Which was not the segmented bar but the %POWER on the top LHS. Can't believe I hadn't twigged this before. Doh.
BTW this image was really tough to take, only for the ACC and Lane Assist was it possible!

Vehicle Car Auto part Mid-size car Speedometer

Monochrome Black-and-white
I'm loving seeing what nice new displays you've got .. thanks by the way effort is well appreciated.

It was this sub pic of a thick part of a bar, within the pic I put in post 22 above
Please excuse poor quality, the images are nicked from the internet.

When the car is in Hybrid (or GTE) and stationary ( or a trailing throttle, downhill etc) , like in my picture, the bar is empty.
When you gently press the accelerator down, it begins to fill in blue from left to right, as you apply more pressure.
M25 style crawling, it's half full maybe. Traffic Light GrandPrix it will fill in a flash.
Once it's filled, the ICE has woken and the thick box disappears. It will come back when the ICE cuts out next.

Idea being you can drive it carefully and try not to wake the engine up unless you need it.
Although in British road sense this rarely works. 10pm french countryside, maybe.

Of course you can get a life and just pay attention to the actual road ahead+around, that's worth doing too.... :D

Attachments

So i just re read and on your car does the needle start at the 9am position on a gentle throttle, and ask you press hard it moves clockwise up to midday when the ICE kicks in, and further round clockwise as you accelerate harder?

@gladini .. yes I understand .. although this shot was while moving ... the %power bar still builds until it hit's the 100% and then the engine kicks in. Almost like the blue bar hit's the tacho needle and pushes it off the 0rpm position.

To be honest I haven't often been stationary in hybrid mode .. (my commutes don't have too many stationary periods) but will try again when I can .. and I remember!

So i just re read and on your car does the needle start at the 9am position on a gentle throttle, and ask you press hard it moves clockwise up to midday when the ICE kicks in, and further round clockwise as you accelerate harder?
Yes .. I have a second shot with the blue bar at 95%, the next shot was when the engine is running (both not posted). I guess I probably need to take a video ..

Got a build slot on mine today, scheduled for 16th Jan :)

Pls can anyone give me a rough idea on how long build takes and when it is likely to land in the U.K.? The dealer thought early March but other forums suggest it could be as early as a month after being built

Got a build slot on mine today, scheduled for 16th Jan :)

Pls can anyone give me a rough idea on how long build takes and when it is likely to land in the U.K.? The dealer thought early March but other forums suggest it could be as early as a month after being built
@Shakeitallabout .. from memory mine was built in late October, and I got it on 30th Nov, so about 5 weeks. I guess it depends on their build rate in Jan and how quick the gets through customs .. My colleague got his diesel Passat in about 4, so GTE shouldn't really be too much longer.

I have just ordered a Passat GTE as my next company car. I have been trying to find out how long the battery would take to charge when using battery recharge mode whilst driving down the motorway. On a long journey could this be a way of being more efficient when entering a town/city at the end of a long run? So far I have not been able to find this info anywhere online and even the sales guy that took me out on a test drive didn't know. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

It's not efficient full stop.
The petrol engine is having to push the car at motorway speeds AND deliver a fair amount of energy to the battery.
Your plan of then using up the miles generated during the latter stage is understood, but doesn't work in practice from a £ and pence view.

The mode I think is there for situations in the future where detection equipment would be able to sniff vehicles going past and fine I mean charge them, accordingly. Like an emissions free zone in a town centre.

Not had the journey to try it myself and see how long, how much gets put in from empty, but the sight of the instant-mpg readout when I have tried it on a motorway once, bought me to tears. I wasn't going to leave it in that mode for long, low 30 rings a bell. Another one of the photos/videos I'd like to make.

Others have noted in threads here that in GTE mode it quietly gets the battery up to 11-12 over a long journey, and I think that's the best plan if you do need to waft quietly during the last stage of a trip.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely be experimenting with all modes when I get the car. My current lease expires end of April so have a little while to wait yet! At least it's on order though.
I have read a few comments that GTE mode is a reasonable way to charge while driving. Interesting that not much detail is given in journal reviews for economy in different modes.

I've just emptied my first tank of fuel in my GTE .. and to be honest I'm pretty disappointed with my mpg .. :(
I was expecting a lot more from the 1.4TSi than the 40-42mpg on long run.

I used 47L @ £1.10p/L and put in 222Kwh @ £19 to get me 815miles .. ~8.7ppm
And this was driving very carefully!! Only fractions of better than my previous diesel .. :mad::cry:

No wonder the MPG data is not available on CarNet ... if it's really that bad ..

Anyone have any Kwh + Fuel data from their Golf GTE's? :unsure:

I've just emptied my first tank of fuel in my GTE .. and to be honest I'm pretty disappointed with my mpg .. :(
I was expecting a lot more from the 1.4TSi than the 40-42mpg on long run.

I used 47L @ £1.10p/L and put in 222Kwh @ £19 to get me 815miles .. ~8.7ppm
And this was driving very carefully!! Only fractions of better than my previous diesel .. :mad::cry:

No wonder the MPG data is not available on CarNet ... if it's really that bad ..

Anyone have any Kwh + Fuel data from their Golf GTE's? :unsure:

Don't forget the normal TDI Passat can't run monday-friday on just electrons if you have sub 20mile journeys between chargers.
The 40s mpg is the offset side of a 1.4petrol TSi pushing a car with a heavy big battery in it.

Don't forget the normal TDI Passat can't run monday-friday on just electrons if you have sub 20mile journeys between chargers.
@gladini But that's my issue, my commute is 23~24mile which is currently too far for a full charge which means my engine has to start up for about 5~6 miles, and although I only allow hybrid for the motorway section my guess is that the engine is cold and efficiency low for those few miles. So 415 miles is the engine running at about 40mpg and 400 miles is the 222Kwh averaging 1.8mpKwh ... all in all just a bit lower than I was expecting .. :(

If I could find a way to get to 47mpg with the ICE and over 2mpKwh, then I'd be a happy bunny (y)
Maybe summer time will get me closer?

It's just very depressing that my colleague with the 140TDI Passat is getting better ppm figures than me and he doesn't need to mess with charging cables ... :unsure:

@gladini But that's my issue, my commute is 23~24mile which is currently too far for a full charge which means my engine has to start up for about 5~6 miles, and although I only allow hybrid for the motorway section my guess is that the engine is cold and efficiency low for those few miles. So 415 miles is the engine running at about 40mpg and 400 miles is the 222Kwh averaging 1.8mpKwh ... all in all just a bit lower than I was expecting .. :(

If I could find a way to get to 47mpg with the ICE and over 2mpKwh, then I'd be a happy bunny (y)
Maybe summer time will get me closer?

It's just very depressing that my colleague with the 140TDI Passat is getting better ppm figures than me and he doesn't need to mess with charging cables ... :unsure:
I am a previously 10 years company car driver of 3 × VW Passat 2.0 150 ps diesels.

Over the full 3 years of over 100k miles on my last one it stated 46mpg on the dashboard.

I changed to a Kia Optima PHEV in mid November & in my first four weeks (just before xmas) did 3500 miles. It can do 30 miles just on battery but obviously for most of the 3500 miles it needed the petrol engine.

During this period it averaged around 50mpg despite the heavy petrol engine use.

I am very happy with its roomier interior and high spec & although it won't be as fast the GTE it's a great cruising car and has all the toys (except adaptive cruise - only normal)

Personally I think it's a much better all round option than the Passat GTE would have been for me and the company for that matter.

Only reason more aren't going for it is the KIA badge. Although the list price between this and the Passat GTE is around £3-4k the actual price paid ended up being £8k less and it would do the 23-24mile commute mentioned in the first post no problem.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.