1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Passat GTE company car drivers

Discussion in 'VW Passat GTE' started by Boyfrom64, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    So what is the official EV range for the Kia?

The Passat should do 31miles, but the best I've done so far (on my commute) is about 20 miles .. This is mostly motorway, and I've slip-streamed a few lorries without much improvement ..

So your real world Kia mileage is over 24 then?

2. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

The official is 31 miles or that's what it always says with a totally full battery.

Motorway driving tonight doing 80mph (for 46 miles journey) on cruise control it did 28 miles as an EV before hybrid system kicked in. It still leaves 14-15% battery on top of that for general hybrid mode driving.

Would probably have achieved the 31 miles if stayed at 70 instead of 80.

Tekkfreak likes this.
  3. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Wow!! :cool: .. very impressed.
    I can't get close to that (official 31, full indicated 27, actual 20 .. mostly motorway). Maybe I will try to keep the battery full until the motorway and see if it's better for 80mph crusing .. trouble is that the M6 I drive on is very "hilly" and drains that battery very quickly on uphill sections.

Anyway I think you picked the right car! :D perhaps you would have been disappointed (like I am :() with the GTE ..

4. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Paul question please
    What did the Guess Meter say the range left was, when you'd done the 28 miles and hybrid system kicked in ?
    Trying to understand your comment re it leaving 14-15% battery on top ???
    14-15% is 4 miles ish of 31 , so did the display say 4 left ?

My Golf GTE will go down to 0miles GOM then the ICE wakes up and it goes to Hybrid mode.
    Maybe the Passat system is different.

5. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

It has a meter (in the centre dial) saying how many miles left of battery (which always stays on 31 miles if set off in HEV mode) hit the HEV button to toggle it into EV then it starts to go down obviously. You can simultaneously watch this in the middle whilst watching the battery go down on the 8inch touchscreen.

I set my sat nav to watch the miles left to work or home and then only put into EV mode when about 30 miles to go.

Usually a mile or two from home it reaches 0 EV miles left but still says 13-14% battery status on the big screen. It then switches back to HEV mode automatically.

Admittedly it might help a lot that the eastern end of the M62 towards Hull is great for maintaining constant speed.

There are display options on the centre console and the big touchscreen which show as your driving, the power flow between drivetrain, battery motor and petrol engine.

Even when no miles left as a pure EV it still shows, at low speeds, that the battery some of the time is powering the car, some of the time is retrieving charge from the wheels and some of the time is using both battery and petrol engine.

I will post pics some time over the next few days when I get chance and also will work out true mpg using mileage and refuelling info.

I am really pleased with the Optima but in truth I had done nearly half a million miles in a VW Passat so ready for a change.

6. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    I am starting to plan the installation of a home charger for a Passat GTE that I have on order. Can anyone tell me how long the two charging cables are that come with the car? This may help determine where I have the charge point fitted. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    My Golf GTE cable is 5 meters I think.

8. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @steverog1010 Both of mine are 5m and lovely bright yellow ..

.. actually correction. The granny cable is a bit longer as the EV side is yellow 5m and the 13A side is black and about a metre from the charge control box.

The granny cable is fine for me at home at the moment, as I've fitted my own external single socket. Although I might build my own tethered EVSE when I have a little more time on my hands.

9. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @Tekkfreak and @MrPaulus thanks for the replies. So far have contacted Charged EV and Chargemaster and don't really want to give either company any business. Didn't seem interested in discussing options just wanted to know when they could do the install! Chargemaster told us that the grants for installation were stopping in April and that if we waited until after the weekend to book a slot we would not get the charger fitted in time to take advantage of the grant. Is it true that the grant is ending? I think I would prefer to find a smaller more local business to do the work.

10. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Personally I wouldn't let Chargemaster anywhere near my house :mad: .. really depends on how fast you need to charge. If you are doing an over night and 10A is enough (only 4hr30m) then stick with the granny for time being to give time to think what you need. A slower charge is probably kinder to the battery too.

Once you need another granny cable (for keeping in the car) then go with a 16A wall box / tethered .. unless you want to future proof for a full BEV ..

11. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    I would be interested to hear from anyone in the Leeds area that has had a charger fitted by a decent local company.

12. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Out of interest ... 4hr 30 on a 13amp uk plug ? My Golf is 3hr 15max if it's completely empty ( ie ICE kicked in within 1/2 mile of the driveway )
    By very rough man maths, the Passat battery is taking over another hour to charge its (bigger?) up.
    But I had thought the batteries were the same size?

Is the hour longer to get the heavier car go the same "in theory / up to " 31 ?

13. doccb1979

doccb1979 Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Passat battery is bigger at 9.9kWh (Golf GTE about 8.8kWh, although it seems only a bit under 8 is usable to preserve battery life)

14. doccb1979

doccb1979 Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Can't comment about Leeds but when I had my Rolec charging point fitted they delegated to a local electric company who were very decent. May be worth looking into whether Rolec have a fitter in your area.

It would not surprise me that the grant system is ending or changing. I just got my Rolec installed March last year with the slightly more generous grant, just before it changed in April. Seems like April might be a month where changes are made. However no mention of it on the governement OLEV website. The new rules are dated 3 Nov 2016 on the following website:
    Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme guidance for customers: version 2.1 - Publications - GOV.UK

15. Shakeitallabout

Shakeitallabout New Member

When I test drove the GTE Estate last year I got 25 miles from a mixture of B and A roads, not exceeding 50mph, which I thought was impressive, especially when compared to the BMW 330e and X225e which both had a quoted range of 19 electric miles, but when I tested them gave me a max of 14 each.

My GTE Advance Estate has been on order since Nov and according to the VW tracker shipped today, it states it will arrive in 4 weeks at the dealer. Very excited!

*Edit - also to add at work they have recommended Rolec chargers, someone in work had one installed and it only took a few days to get installed. They had a code offering 10%, so you could get an untethered one for £129 with the grant - feels like a no-brainer to me!

16. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Yes, I guess VW have this 50km notional average range for the average commute .. so upscaled the battery in the Passat.
    BTW on a 16A hookup it takes about 2hr45, although has anyone noticed that if you select the A/C to come on, the PTC heater takes the bulk of the power coming in? Which means charging slows to a crawl.
    I've had to give up the pre-conditioning while charging at work, as I only get a 2hr slot to charge (so have to decide between warmth and range!) :(

17. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    @Tekkfreak you could set the upper-charge slider in the eManager to be 60 or 70%, then it will charge to that level and stop charging, but a timer would still back calculate to start the heater, if set.
    Then the charging stops say 1hr 20 through your 2hr slot, and the last 40mins for max heating ?
    Just a thought -- as you say, then warm over range but hey it is winter.

18. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    If it's like the Golf GTE the preheating only works for a maximum of 30 minutes. The last part of the charge is a trickle charge anyway, so I would guess you get the best part of a full charge in 1.5 to 2 hours.

19. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @MrPaulus yeah I know it should be 30min, but there is no real way of controlling this other than change my departure time (to be 15min later) and leave with 15min to go. This should mean I get 15min heating (to take the frost off) and keep the maximum amount of charging. The charge / heat rules are just too clunky and a pain to change on WebApp or Apk .. especially if you want to make a time and level change at the same time .. they have designed the apps so badly, they can't seem to queue the "car event" into one single message .. and have to wait for the handshake message from the car before you can change something else!! It's agony using their Car-Net UI ....... :confused:(n)o_O

Trouble is I can't even use Car-Net anymore .. as VW have "broked it" again .......... :mad::mad:

20. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    [
    @Tekkfreak How should it work ? the current tool uses SMS Texting ..... which allows you to be not-stood-within-bluetooth distance, and I personally am ok with it queuing sms msgs, if, big IF , it is reliable enough.

The fact I can change the car status from another continent / not in line of site of the car has been amusing.
    I don't mind the Moon Landing 1960s delay to have the app / website request confirmed too much.

Of course I'd also like 8zillion more functions too ..... stats as you say, plus have the wing mirrors added to the demisting button, have the demisting trigger on a timer, and some non EV items that I think the American/Canada have like horn-sounding and door lock/unlocking.