1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Passat GTE company car drivers

Discussion in 'VW Passat GTE' started by Boyfrom64, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak EV: Passat GTE Advance

So what is the official EV range for the Kia?

The Passat should do 31miles, but the best I've done so far (on my commute) is about 20 miles .. This is mostly motorway, and I've slip-streamed a few lorries without much improvement ..

So your real world Kia mileage is over 24 then?

2. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

The official is 31 miles or that's what it always says with a totally full battery.

Motorway driving tonight doing 80mph (for 46 miles journey) on cruise control it did 28 miles as an EV before hybrid system kicked in. It still leaves 14-15% battery on top of that for general hybrid mode driving.

Would probably have achieved the 31 miles if stayed at 70 instead of 80.

Tekkfreak likes this.
  3. Tekkfreak

Wow!! :cool: .. very impressed.
    I can't get close to that (official 31, full indicated 27, actual 20 .. mostly motorway). Maybe I will try to keep the battery full until the motorway and see if it's better for 80mph crusing .. trouble is that the M6 I drive on is very "hilly" and drains that battery very quickly on uphill sections.

Anyway I think you picked the right car! :D perhaps you would have been disappointed (like I am :() with the GTE ..

4. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Paul question please
    What did the Guess Meter say the range left was, when you'd done the 28 miles and hybrid system kicked in ?
    Trying to understand your comment re it leaving 14-15% battery on top ???
    14-15% is 4 miles ish of 31 , so did the display say 4 left ?

My Golf GTE will go down to 0miles GOM then the ICE wakes up and it goes to Hybrid mode.
    Maybe the Passat system is different.

5. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

It has a meter (in the centre dial) saying how many miles left of battery (which always stays on 31 miles if set off in HEV mode) hit the HEV button to toggle it into EV then it starts to go down obviously. You can simultaneously watch this in the middle whilst watching the battery go down on the 8inch touchscreen.

I set my sat nav to watch the miles left to work or home and then only put into EV mode when about 30 miles to go.

Usually a mile or two from home it reaches 0 EV miles left but still says 13-14% battery status on the big screen. It then switches back to HEV mode automatically.

Admittedly it might help a lot that the eastern end of the M62 towards Hull is great for maintaining constant speed.

There are display options on the centre console and the big touchscreen which show as your driving, the power flow between drivetrain, battery motor and petrol engine.

Even when no miles left as a pure EV it still shows, at low speeds, that the battery some of the time is powering the car, some of the time is retrieving charge from the wheels and some of the time is using both battery and petrol engine.

I will post pics some time over the next few days when I get chance and also will work out true mpg using mileage and refuelling info.

I am really pleased with the Optima but in truth I had done nearly half a million miles in a VW Passat so ready for a change.

6. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

I am starting to plan the installation of a home charger for a Passat GTE that I have on order. Can anyone tell me how long the two charging cables are that come with the car? This may help determine where I have the charge point fitted. Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    My Golf GTE cable is 5 meters I think.

8. Tekkfreak

@steverog1010 Both of mine are 5m and lovely bright yellow ..

.. actually correction. The granny cable is a bit longer as the EV side is yellow 5m and the 13A side is black and about a metre from the charge control box.

The granny cable is fine for me at home at the moment, as I've fitted my own external single socket. Although I might build my own tethered EVSE when I have a little more time on my hands.

9. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

@Tekkfreak and @MrPaulus thanks for the replies. So far have contacted Charged EV and Chargemaster and don't really want to give either company any business. Didn't seem interested in discussing options just wanted to know when they could do the install! Chargemaster told us that the grants for installation were stopping in April and that if we waited until after the weekend to book a slot we would not get the charger fitted in time to take advantage of the grant. Is it true that the grant is ending? I think I would prefer to find a smaller more local business to do the work.

10. Tekkfreak

Personally I wouldn't let Chargemaster anywhere near my house :mad: .. really depends on how fast you need to charge. If you are doing an over night and 10A is enough (only 4hr30m) then stick with the granny for time being to give time to think what you need. A slower charge is probably kinder to the battery too.

Once you need another granny cable (for keeping in the car) then go with a 16A wall box / tethered .. unless you want to future proof for a full BEV ..

11. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

I would be interested to hear from anyone in the Leeds area that has had a charger fitted by a decent local company.