1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone looking for a Chevvy Volt?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicle Classifieds' started by Ian Marsh, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh Member

I saw this link this morning and looks excellent. Shame I'm no longer in the market for one. There is another one on auto Trader for the same price but that needs some work on the suspension according to the dealer.

Chevrolet Volt 1.4 5dr

2. billysielu

billysielu Vauxhall Astra

If they bring the Gen 2 over here I'd be first in line.

3. Tony Wright

Tony Wright Active Member

We have a Vauxhall dealer in the North East that services the Ampera but not sure there is a Chevrolet one:( unless they are one and the same?

4. Rob Obertelli

Rob Obertelli New Member

There's also this one which I test drove on Saturday.

Unfortunately the car had a few minor faults: the MOT had an advisory to say the top left suspension strut was slightly loose (surely an MOT failure), the charging flap wouldn't open without a lot of mucking about (seems like the spring to pop it open had failed) and so opening it appeared to be a two person job with one activating the release button and the other on the opposite side of the car quickly opening the flap before it re-locked itself. The black trim around the window on the driver's door at the B-pillar had also tarnished to a milky white, although that might polish out.

But the thing which really hacked me off was the salesman's aggressively pushy American sales manager who was also one of the new owners of the business: he was really pushing hard for me to pay another £700 for an Customer Protect Gold Warranty which I didn't want. He then claimed that if I took it he had special permission to extend it from being a three or four year (I can't recall exactly) warranty to being "for life". I absolutely don't want a warranty as the Consumer Protection Act is fine. I certainly don't want any warranty by the Auto Protect group as I've always found them to be almost worthless. I confirmed with the warranty provider today that they don't cover electric cars anyway. AFAIA only WarrantyWise do that and theirs starts at £55 per month and still excludes the rechargeable main battery. He also tried a number of other hackneyed old direct sales tricks known to every direct salesperson going right back to biblical times, and as someone who used to flog fitted kitchens and bedrooms I was tiringly familiar with all the silly charades.

It's a real shame because the car is at a good price, the colour is attractive, and I really liked the ceramic white theme on the main centre console as well which the Ampera never had. But I just didn't trust the dealer.

It was my first viewing of any Volt/Ampera and the one thing which screamed "cheap and tacky" on an otherwise impressive car was that nasty old pair of stretchy black knickers used as a parcel shelf. My wife and I often carry camera bags with contents worth more than the car so a transparent bit of stretched black nylon covered in fluff was unconvincing as a privacy measure.

David Harvey likes this.
  5. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh Member

In reply to both of the messages above - Vauxhall in Newcastle (Scotswood Rod) can service the Volt now that Chevvy has ceased to be in the UK - ironic really because when they were new GM wouldn't let Vauxhall do it which stopped me from getting one 4 years ago as the nearest service centre for a Volt back then was Cambridge and I live in the North East as well.

With regards the ridiculous 'bblack knickers' - you can get Volt shelfs which are proper hard shelves. They are produced in the US but there was a guy somewhere on one of these threads that had designed and built his own - be worth a search as this would really tidy up the car and make it far more usable especially in the your business.

Lee Dalton likes this.
  6. Rob Obertelli

Rob Obertelli New Member

Thanks Ian, I have seen those on here and I'm certain I could knock up something similar easily enough, even if only an improved fabric version made of the same type of polyacrylic used for shop awnings. Just very puzzled why GM added what appears to be a last minute afterthought. The weight saving isn't significant.

7. Tony Wright

Bloody hell you now have me thinking 30kw Leaf (just been offered a pretty good PCP deal) or a 2nd hand Ampera/Volt. Really like the look of the private one but Londons a long way to go to possibly be disappointed(n)

8. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh Member

I'd contact the guy in London and ask if he ever travels North and maybe meet in the middle? If not, then I'd ask him to send pictures of the service record and maybe a lot more photos. London's not that far to grab a bargain and then have the fun of the drive home in what is a very very rare car.

9. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I have made a very effective parcel shelf out of an old box wrapped in that black garden liner stuff, and held up by cords using my fiendishly clever tensioning knots so it opens like a normal parcel shelf.

10. Ed Straker's Car

Ed Straker's Car Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    I spent week ,designed a replacement parecel shelf, I'm now back using Mrs GM's big black knicker elastic..
    Its actually quite effective, &the smoked black glass means its pretty hard to view boot content. Not perfect , but
    It's the least tacky GM I've had.

Rob Obertelli and Lee Dalton like this.
  11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    That was my original thought when I bought my Ampera, but the stretchy fabric thing has actually grown on me! (Not literally, of course!! :LOL:). I find it conceals stuff adequately, and I like 2 things about it a lot; 1) if I have to carry something bulky, I don't have to leave a solid parcel-shelf at home. Just stuff it somewhere. and 2) I don't have problems closing the tailgate if there's something a bit bulky sticking up.

The weakest part of the whole design is actually the 4 clips - these are badly designed, with a weak-spot lacking plastic just where the stress is highest, and with a bit of UV they get brittle after 4 years & snap. However I 3D print a better replacement item, see the EV Classifieds threads for details. Free to anyone, but a small donation to a charity is appreciated!

Rob Obertelli likes this.
  12. Tony Wright

Not sure everything's okay with the advert as I've tried ringing a few times with no success.

What's people's thoughts on the photo showing the drivers seat and dash. It clearly shows a very evident hole in the carpet (God knows why he hasn't had mats down) where it looks like a heels completely worn thorough it. Got me thinking, with a low mileage of 38k would that much wear be normal?

13. donald

donald Well-Known Member

That's pretty wierd, actually.

I initially wondered which car you were talking about - both have a hole just in front of the brake pedals (in the mats, yes, they do both have mats in).

Why would there be wear holes where the brake pedal is? Is that like 12 hours a day every day sitting in traffic?

14. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Yes. Mine was almost through at 17k.

15. donald

donald Well-Known Member

My mat is fine after 30k miles, but I always put a sheet of hardboard between a car mat and the carpet, this stops the mat from becoming dented and then wearing through to the car's own carpet. (Another Donald Top Tip!)

16. Lee Dalton

Lee Dalton Well-Known Member

I'll check mine in the morning, but it certainly hasn't worn through at 72k

17. Rob Obertelli

Rob Obertelli New Member

I didn't notice a hole in the blue Volt I test drove, and am I usually very picky about stuff like that. But, yes, one of the photos does appear to show some carpet wear although it's possible in retrospect that there might have been one of those typical paper mats following a car valet hiding it from view.

I may be making a journey from Croydon in sahf London to Dumfries in Scotland (via Lockerbie rail station) within a few days to view an Ampera: I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Last time I went to that station was to go to Lochmaben to view a Citroen 2CV which I'd been promised was in great condition and well able to make the journey home. But even from over 50 feet away, on a grey rainy day, I instantly saw it was a heap of shiny paint and filler... (I bought one immensely better a few days later in Tisbury, Wiltshire).

Lee Dalton likes this.
  18. Tony Wright

Ive now given up on this car☹️. I've rang the number that many times without success, it leads me to believe it's possibly wrong. I've also replied via E-mail, funny old thing no reply

Lee Dalton likes this.