Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Base S75 with AP01 only, worth going for? Now purchased ownership thread

8K views 92 replies 16 participants last post by  dpmgn46 
#1 ·
I have held a S75 with AP01 on deposit while fighting all & sundry for the finance, flaming underwriters :)

But I may have some light at the end of the tunnel and wondered if a base S75, black with standard pattern seats but with AP01 activated.

So a base black S75 with AP01 hardware activated.

Range should be good at 225-250 miles hopefully, basic seats seem ok from other posts, AP01 still good for 1-2 years I think.

Any reason not to keep going, the price is excellent hence still trying to actually land it.

I'm very keen to step into the Tesla having followed them for years (and just cashed my stock in also) and this could be the best price/model to do that. Fingers crossed on the finance though.

#2 ·
Personally, I don't think AP (1 or 2) is a deal breaker / maker when buying a Model S but I know other owners don't agree with me on this. So from my perspective if you have got a good deal on an AP1 car then I wouldn't pass it up just to wait for AP2, especially because :

1. You don't even know when AP2 will be fully implemented
2. Not everyone thinks AP1 is the killer feature Elon does ;)

Good luck with your decision!

J

#3 ·
It is a facelift model being an ex-service/demo, 3,250 miles and with the AP01 active.

I'm fine with AP01 for the next 1-2 years as the new AP02 HW gets developed and tested then thinking to step into something with more kit in 24 months.

If new and finance no problem I would go for 60/75/90D, Air, PUP, EAP, Midnight Silver but thats out of reach for now but this base S75 could be just the car to get me into the Tesla family as such, both financially and ownership experience wise.

#6 ·
I've just ordered an AP2 car, but I don't see the AP2 functionality matching AP1 for at least a year.

Don't ask why, just a hunch from going through the original AP1 software release.

AP2 will likely get greater autonomy in around 2 years in the UK, what with all the regulatory hoops. There's also a chance of some disaster and AP2 never being allowed to deliver autonomy.

If you are looking for a car over the next two years, I'd say go for it!

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. AP1 feels like it has 1-2 more software updates to be at its very very best (software/hardware at their peak) then it will bow down to what AP2 can do from then.

AP1 I also feel is good for another year to 18 months then AP2 will take over.

75 battery is also handy, I would happily pay the asking price for a 60 so I do feel it is a good price overall.

#8 ·
In my personal opinion AP1 is over hyped and not actually that useful (I know others disagree !). It's a fun toy and very cleaver, but it's not make or break for me.

However the car itself is absolutely fantastic. It's smooth, quiet, refined and even the base model has more performance than you can sensibly use 99% of the time. Getting a car with unlimited SC access is also a bonus.

You will have the perfect road trip vehicle with which to travel the continent in style, comfort and safety at essentially zero fuel cost.

Do it !

#9 ·
@Flyguy
my first planned road trip, if the finance gets approved (the last hurdle and I've fallen at a fair few already) is to Monaco and a drive around the harbour, been before and that area from Menton to Saint Jean Cap Ferrat is wonderful driving and scenery, and like you say essentially free.

I'm pretty certain to go for it, it is just the underwriters and finance I am waiting for to be approved.

#10 ·
update : finance just approved this morning, after weeks of phoning and messing around, rejections and so forth, finally landed an offer.

Onto the Tesla dealer today to take the next step.

Not done yet but much closer than last few months have ever been. S75 with AP01 and a good price too.

#14 ·
Had a final test drive today in a Model X with HW2, no updated software and not working today, only cruise control was working.
I'm getting AP1, so hopefully it still has legs until next year with an update or two, although other forums are getting very hot under the collar that speed restrictions are being applied already which is stopping cars overtaking and other issues and that AP1 is quite far removed due to updates stripping away some earlier functionality as new authorities impose newer rules.
AP2/HW2 could fall into that space as being so over regulated it becomes mute as to its true capabilities?

#18 ·
Booking the detailing to be done straight after delivery so it can be looked at first for any issues. The detailer says he has done a lot of Tesla now and is happy with the quality of the Tesla paint as such. I just want the piece of mind all is well, plus I am away for 2-3 days for work so the timing is spot on too.

Alloys being powder coated grey at the same time.

May get the FFP film protection in a month or so, perhaps just the front bumper and bonnet for now.

Brake caliper being painted red, but leaving that for a little while also.

Still on for this Friday, I'll drive it for about 2 hours before it gets the detailing done, then collect agin the following week, which is fine as it is all done in one hit and also appraised straight after the handover in case any nasties are there I can't see during the handover.

#19 ·
Congrats, I'm sure you will love the car.

FWIW I think you've done the right thing. Lowish-spec, risk sharing with the finance co., etc. etc. It's the best way!

I don't regret my spec choice for a second (even though it was oddball at the time). I do regret the certainty of going finance, but I've been lucky in some ways even if it didn't feel that way at times. (touches wood)

If fortune favours you in the future splurge on a 90D or a P100D and the performance, but for most UK use I'm sure a 75 will be perfect.

#20 ·
Welcome to the S75 club :) Hope to see you at a charger one day soon. Guess your nearest SC is either Oxford or M42?

I went for the 75 over the 60 as I do Oxford-Sheffield weekly, and need a bit extra as I can't always charge at either end immediately. Had mine 3 1/2 months and done 7k already.

#24 ·
Norton Park was empty on arrival, stopped for a drink (nice Hotel) but expensive at the bar mind, and as I waited to leave while my car heated up and the snow melted 2 Model S arrived about 1 minute apart.

There is also a ChargeMaster post with 2 x type 2 charging sockets so 4 bays in total at this spot. It is just a post and it looks like it is free to use, as in no charging costs, I can't see any display or info suggesting there is payments needed, this was the same at a Park & Ride in Portsmouth, will check on these to see if they need registering and are part of the monthly costs.

#26 ·
Now home with a Model S75. Drive home through central Birmingham at rush hour tested the nerves a little in a fun way, ducking and diving through the back roads and anyone who knows Digbeth roundabouts, they take zero prisoners, trust me. So edging out and playing chicken in my old car fine, in the new Tesla, phew I made it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.