1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Charge your car renewal

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by CaptFish, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CaptFish

CaptFish Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    After one year I got a reminder from charge your car to renew my card. However, a few months ago I received a new chargeplace scotland card which I understand supersedes the CYC system in Scotland. I have not used the cards for a while but don't want to get both, do I just go for the chargeplace card or CYC? Btw, I don't take the Zoe on long journeys so charging in Scotland is all I need.
    Thanks for your comments in advance.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60ah, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
  3. Simon Hewison

Simon Hewison Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    That's my understanding, that Chargeplace Scotland is merely Transport Scotland's brand name for the charging network in Scotland, they're still connected to CYC's back-end, and a Chargeplace Scotland card works on CYC points in just the same way that a CYC card continues to work on the charge points north of the border.
    For contractural reasons, there's probably some ringfenced resources at CYC to cater for Chargeplace Scotland, and there's probably some 'paper walls' within CYC now to cater for that contract.
    Chargeplace Scotland RFID cards are probably funded differently to regular CYC cards, thanks to the Scottish Government.

CYC did partition their customer base into those with Scottish postcodes and elsewhere, and issued Chargeplace Scotland branded cards ready for the new year. It's my understanding that if you received a Chargeplace Scotland card, then your CYC card should have expired, and not automatically renewed, but CYC should be able to help you directly.

4. CaptFish

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Thanks Simon, will give them a call on Monday to find out. My CYC card is not auto renewing, but they did email me a reminder today.

5. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    It was also emailed out a while ago that your new CPS cars would get a full year "free",weaning in some cases up to an extra 12 months over your old CYC card (assuming it was about to expire).

If you log into CYC you'll see both your cards are listed, with the longer expiry on the CPS card.

Let your CYC card expire. But if your a card for life member you need to make sure your status is carried over to your new card.

I started using my new CPS card the day it arrived.

CaptFish likes this.
  6. CaptFish

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Cheers @Sandy, dug out the original letter which came with the Chargeplace card and it actually stated that it will expire October 2017. Will let the CYC expire as suggested.

7. Richard Butler

Richard Butler Active Member

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    Good job it's so simple for people to understand!

I didn't bother to renew my CYC card when it expired, the only place it worked for me was near a customer in London N6, which has been broken for the last 6 months, and sounds like unlikely to be repaired.
    If it still worked, I would have paid the £20 a year, because it is residents only parking in the morning, which doesn't apply to the charging bay.

I've allowed the other half's CYC card to expire as well. The only place she ever used it was at our local Morrisons, and they haven't worked for the last few months.
    If Morrisons had still worked, I would have paid the £20 a year for her, just in case one day she every found another place that it might work.

8. CYC

CYC Well-Known Member

If you have a CPS card, use this from now on. Your old CYC card will have expired now. The email you received was automated so just ignore it.

You can still use this on CYC charge points in the rest of the UK. Similarly, CYC cards can also be used on CPS charge points.

Here are some links that you might find useful for information:

Charge Place Scotland Here’s What You Need To Know About Your New ChargePlace Scotland Card

Charge Your Car - What does the ChargePlace Scotland scheme mean for CYC drivers in the rest of the UK?

Sandy and CaptFish like this.
  9. CYC

CYC Well-Known Member

@Richard Butler Morrisons have just resigned their contract with CYC so they will be back on the network soon.

Lee Dalton likes this.
  10. CaptFish

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Thanks for the info @CYC

CYC likes this.