1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Chargemaster costs

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by John Donald, Jan 6, 2017.

1. John Donald

John Donald New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Just got this reply from Chargemaster. These are their current charges (geddit!) for installation...
    I can't figure out what the difference is except the price.

Thanks for your enquiry. Below are the current prices for government funded installation (after £500 financial contribution from the government which we will be claiming on client’s behalf):

Price: £ 279 - 16A Charger (tethered or socketed)

Or £ 27 deposit, followed by 12 instalments of £21 (subject to finance approval)

Upgrade to 30A charger = £75 (as opposed to upgrade cost of £95)

Price: £ 374 - 16A Charger (tethered or socketed)

Or £ 38 deposit, followed by 12 instalments of £ 28 (subject to finance approval)

Upgrade to 30A charger = £75

Product Features of the Premium Key-controlled Unit:

- Key controlled access for extra security

- Free access to our portal to monitor electricity used (3 years)

- Cable run under 20 metres

- 3 year warranty

- Free site survey if required.

2. arg

arg Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Hard to tell exactly what this means, but it looks to me like they are trying to make money out of the additional hardware they designed in to their chargepoints originally to satisfy the requirement of the Government (OLEV) grant that they had to supply usage statistics. Hence their design allows for a built-in cellphone so that it can 'phone home' and report how much you've been using it. However, the grant conditions have recently changed and don't require the reporting, so they can offer a cheaper option without the phone (and 3 years SIM card charges from the mobile network).

Personally, I don't trust the statistics reported on the chargemaster portal (they seem only loosely related to the amount of charging I've done), and wouldn't pay extra for them. Likewise, the keyswitch is of no great benefit - if I want to stop unauthorized people charging, I will switch off the power at the consumer unit indoors.

So the useful options are 16A vs 30A - your present car won't notice the difference as it can't charge more than 16A, but if you ever switch to a pure EV you may find 16A disappointingly slow (I find 30A only barely fast enough somtimes...), and it's much cheaper to go straight for 30A than have the 16A now and upgrade later. Upgrading later would mean stripping everything out and starting again (as the wiring would need upgrading as well as the chargepoint itself), and you don't get the government grant the second time around. Personally in your situation I'd pay the extra £70, but it's a matter of preference.

Second choice is whether to go tethered or socketed - no difference in Chargemaster's price, but if socketed you will need to buy a separate cable. With tethered, you have to pick type1 vs type2 (your present car needs type1, but highly likely any EV you buy in a few years time will be type2), and it's a moderate cost/hassle to change the cable in the future. With socketed, there's only one type of socket and the separate cable is bought to match the car. Tethered is much more convenient when you come to plug in every night, though you can achieve the same effect by buying a cable and leaving it permanently plugged in to a socketed chargepoint (padlocking to the wall if necessary for security); if you think you will be charging at public chargepoints you will need a cable anyway, but if you use it at home there's the trade-off between having to coil it up every day and put it in the boot vs. buying a second one to carry around.

Don't get excited about 3 year warranty - all suppliers on the government grant scheme have to offer 3 year warranty as part of the grant rules.