1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Chargemaster with or without data connection

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by AlisonDrake, Jan 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AlisonDrake

AlisonDrake New Member

I've had two quotes from Chargemaster to install a home charge 7kw with data connection and key operation which would cost an additional £95. Is the latter option beneficial or just a nice to have?

2. Belstar

Belstar Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210, Toyota Prius Plug in Gen2
    I've never used the key on our Chargemaster home charger - I just leave it on permanently. I think the chances of somebody sneakily pulling onto the drive and using the charger for a few hours are pretty slim, and if it did ever happen I think I'd be more bemused than annoyed! As for the data connection, as others will attest to, it's not the most accurate - in fact most of the time it's downright wrong.

3. AlisonDrake

AlisonDrake New Member

Ok thank you so much for your advice

4. Jason Wallace

Jason Wallace Well-Known Member

When my Chargemaster charger worked I found the key more of a nuisance.

The data connection is pretty worthless . If you REALLY need to know how much electricity is going through the charger then stick a meter on it.

5. halcyonrichard

halcyonrichard Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    Hi,
    I bought an ex British Gas one and had it installed. Never used the key at all. I have it on a seperate breaker in the fuse box with it's own earth leakage protection. It is usually off. When I want to charge I plug the car cable in. When I go to bed I flip the breaker so it is on. I have a smart meter with monitor and check it is over 7 kW so everything is working. In the morning I disconnect. Press the earth leakage test button ang that turns off the charger and tests the safety trip is O.K. I can also check the smart monitor so I know roughly how much charge the car has taken (novelty wears off :) slowly).

So I would save the £95 and see if you can get a free smart meter and monitor.

Richard

6. Electric Van Man

Electric Van Man Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    The data side of the units are a bag of poo! I have a 24kw battery and some of my data shows as 98kw being used in 6hrs. lol lol

Think the data was a gov thing for the grants when they fitted the units for FREE.

They key part is a good idea, but I do always leave mine turned on

7. MK Tom

MK Tom Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    The 7kw charger is exactly the same as 3.6kw but with a jumper set on the control board for higher rate..
    Data connection isn't really beneficial as the data logged isnt as accurate as a separate meter and key is pointless as you can secure via source power if you really want. Save yourself £95!

8. Zomb

Zomb Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    @Electric Van Man you got a 16.5 kW fitted for the same price. It's not charitable of you to laugh like that!

Never switched the thing off either. Maybe if it was in the street rather than inside my property I'd use the key to prevent some idiot killing himself and his familly suing over the burnt remains.

9. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I bought one as well and had it connected via a 32A 3 Phase interlocked socket protected by RCD and MCB works a treat (y)

I don't use the key, it's inside so there is no need for security I think I'd notice if someone rammed the steel shutter doors to get a crafty charge.