1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Charging rates on P Ion

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by KenB, Jul 13, 2016.

1. KenB

KenB Active Member

EV:
    Peugeot iOn
    The car can use a CHAdeMO and a type 2 fast charger but cannot find at what the actual charge rates are. I an assuming the rate is restricted by the car rather than the charger?

2. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

I could be very wrong but the car will only accept the type two at 3.3kwh/13 amps, regardless of whether you use a 7kwh/32 amp level 2 charger. The car only takes what it can take.

It would still be quicker than a 13amp plug which is 2.2kwh/10 amps.

The chademo is totally seperate and will rapid charge the car in 20-30 minutes. This will be tapered when the battery gets more full, until it is nearly full and barely taking more than the level 2 would give.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ps, having read the specs on the wiki it seems the car could take 3.6kwh/15 amps on a level 2.

3. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van Z.E
    I could be wrong but I find even my leaf seems to take 3.7-3.8kw per hour. I don't know if it's because its 3.3kw or there abouts or if it's you need more electric to charge the battery from ac to dc or something I'm not sure.

4. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

It's all based on ohms law or something. If you have more voltage, and UK voltage can fluctuate right upto 250v, then you get more amps (or something) and you might well see 3.7kw?

LeafSpy shows you what the car is taking. I'm assuming you have a gen1 Leaf? If you have a gen2 taking from a 16a charger, it may take a wee bit more.

5. KenB

KenB Active Member

EV:
    Peugeot iOn
    Thanks

6. dunc bayne

dunc bayne New Member

EV:
    Peugeot iOn
    KenB

I have an Ion and using the ovms 2.0 with it find that it can put a maximum of 16% charge per hour.

Usually when the range is --- on the dial there is about 9.5 % charge ( so can get you a few miles). I can monitor this percentage either with the ovms app ( online or via text requests stat?), or canion on or offline. Useful to be able to text the car in the car park or at the fast charge point to see the status.

13 amp plug method I can still be 10% to 99% in a working day if plugged in to 13amp socket.

Does this help?

7. KenB

KenB Active Member

EV:
    Peugeot iOn
    I have now learnt that the answer to this is

Having recently used a fast charger 4 times in a day and got the following results. Taken from my invoices.

Time 21mins gave 6.68kwh circa 0.32kwh/min
    13mins gave 4.07 "
    13mins gave 4.43 "
    7mins gave 1.27kwh circa 0.18kwh/min
    The first 3 are up to the 80% charge and 1&3 are from the same charger.! The 4th is from the same charger after restarting after the 80% charge.

Further, at lorry speeds mainly on fast A road range was 75mls on a complete charge.

Prior to this i have shown the range to be 68mls at steady 60mph This is on level ground with little wind and over 2 return trips carried out continuously as a trial. This is based on my 16kwh batt P Ion.

My next test has to be at a constant 50mph !

Ken

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  8. andrew*debbie

andrew*debbie Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF

Ignoring power factor*, is it volts * amps = Watts.

Most chargers adjust current draw to stop them from going over rated power.

If the iMIEV charger is rated for 3.7kW than it may go up. More likely it adjust to stay at 3.6kW.

*Power factor is an adjustment. Volts * Amps = watts is only correct for DC or if the power factor is 1.

Wikipedia has a good explanation --> Power factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good design will have a power factor around .97 to .99 so V*A is close to correct.

If you are interested in such things, here is a good introduction:

https://us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/other/pfc_switchmode_powersupplies.pdf

Possibly Related Discussions… - Charging rates Ion
  1. L8url
    Replies:
    Views: