1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Ecotricity is an idealogical company.

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Rory166, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Rory166

Rory166 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    Many discussions on here seem to be " why does Ecotricity not do such and such". There seems to be an assumption that the company will follow some kind of rational economic approach. This is clearly misguided. The company is not economically driven as per the normal model but ideologically driven by the personal ideas of the owner. No conventional company was interested in the monopoly to supply electric cars at MSAs when Ecotricity snapped it up. Yes Ecotricity has mainly succeeded due to government policy and manufacturer money but I observe money was never the main motivation as it would be in a Public owned company. Discussions about the economics of charging seem to fall on deaf ears because the man who matters does not care much about or probably even understand economics.

Long distance BEV motoring happened years sooner than it economically should have due to Ecotricity and now we are stuck with the decisions of one man who really is not influenced by what the majority think. I am grateful to Ecotricity for the free years and now have to put up with the service they now deign to provide.

Dale did listen to opinion and changed 20 mins to 30 mins but I think that was probably a mistake in hindsight since we are now moaning about having to stay 30 mins just to get our moneys worth. 20 mins was probably much closer to a typical stay in the free era.

2. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    The EH seems to serve Nissan and anyone else that uses CHADeMo but if your unfortunate enough to use CCS it's awful, I have little interest in Dales ideological aspirations I just want to arrive at an MSA and find that A) it has a CCS pump and B) that it works.

3. Rory166

Rory166 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    Nissan Renault paid for the original set of chargers. BMW chipped in on the next set hence half the number of outlets.

John Riley and cah197 like this.
  4. Ready to charge

Ready to charge Well-Known Member

I don't really care if it's Ecotricity or some other network that does it, but we need more rapids to cover the holes in the national network. They were doing great until they suddenly stopped investing at the same time that they started charging. It would only take 2 or 3 more points to cover the whole of Wales instead of the 50% coverage we have now, for example. And how about something SE of Maidstone?

5. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I don't care who paid for it, I don't pull into a petrol station and worry whether the nozzle will fit, if they can't or won't do it then they should let someone else install pumps so we can get from A to B.

Neilew, Cjohnston, Matt Beard and 2 others like this.
  6. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Surely everything to be said about Ecotricity, the Electric Highway, charging infrastructure, connector standards and reliability has been said by now?

To prove that point, I've said this before too.

Until there is some kind of crisis/event (think oil running out) or the Green Party get into government, then I really can't see EV charging infrastructure making a step change in availability and reliability.

I can't see a manufacturer making the necessary investment in a charging infrastructure either yet.

As it is, we have the gold standard of a charging infrastructure at one end with Tesla (although I understand from speaking to owners that it's still not 'everywhere enough' for them) and at the other end, home charging. Both are available and reliable.

The bit in between is largely a bit hit and miss, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Neilew and John Riley like this.
  7. AndyG

AndyG Moderator

EV:
    Chevrolet Volt Gen1, Nissan LEAF 24
    Green party getting into government :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

8. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Exactly!! The current ones of any 'normal' colour just won't take it seriously or give it any priority.

We've got Brexit to sort out firstly.

9. donald

donald Well-Known Member

All companies have a proportion of the culture and motivation towards 'non-commercial' objectives, and the remainder of effort is then commercial.

No matter how small the 'non-commercial' component, every business has a bit else the business wouldn't have been set up at all.

Ecotricity has a lot more of that than other companies, it is true, but equally the 'commercial' component of the business' objectives is far from 'non-zero'. It's just different to others.

If it were otherwise, the outcome of the Tesla/EH tiff would have been different.

It is interesting that you observe;-

I don't think it has really 'happened' because it is still not a commercial service. As it has always been, it has been a 'hobby activity' for those with both the inclination and the time. The problem right now is that EH is still delivering to the hobbyists and if it wants to offer a commercial service then that would be a different set out outcomes. But it is probably impossible, I can't see any business model that can be competitive. It is far too expensive to deliver at a price that looks fair, and the number of potential clients who ONLY have a BEV is so small (and who can simply take an ICE when the cost gets too high) as to be totally unjustifiable.

We're still in an experimental/trial stage, and for as long as HM Gov thinks it is already an extant business that justifies regulation, rather than one which needs patronage, then it is doomed.

10. Diagnostic

Diagnostic Member

Why oh why would you choose a car before checking the infrastructure was suitable. Don't beat up Ecotricity for your own failings..

11. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I do sympathise with people who think they are getting 'A' from a contract or purchase and end up with 'B' because it wasn't clear.

In this case, there was either an assumption that it'd be free forever (clearly it wouldn't, so that would have been self-delusional) or the other was that it was a punt and you'd take the cost when it came.

But you have to pay the piper to play the tune.

I still struggle to see why people view EH charges as 'over-priced'. When that actually happens, then there are grounds for complaining. The problem at the moment is that their charges are too low for anyone to remotely consider entering the 'market' to competitively deliver this service. The contention of the thread is that EH initially delivered this on a 'charitable' basis due to 'idecology'. (I just made that word up. Do you like it? :) ) The reality is that at £6 a charge, they still are!

Duncan23, cah197, BSven and 1 other person like this.
  12. AndyG

AndyG Moderator

EV:
    Chevrolet Volt Gen1, Nissan LEAF 24
    If Ecotricity offer a 24 hour back office to sort out any problems I would swallow the £6 charge. As the majority of times I use the EH are out of hours I now never take the LEAF out of range.
    I am an Ecotricity customer so this is about service not price, if I am going to waste my time charging and having to pay a premium for the electricity then I expect good customer service not nil customer service because they are shut:mad:

ms15342, Phil W, Cjohnston and 3 others like this.
  13. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    Yeah completely stupid really why would anyone buy a car that complies to the EU standard, what a dipstick.

Neilew and Rob M like this.
  14. Steve Thayne

Steve Thayne Well-Known Member

CCS was introduced as a standard AFTER Ecotricity had already rolled out a substantial part of their network, as a result of an EU decision. Arguably a better decision by the EU would have been to support the existing standards of Chademo, and AC for Renault. At the time CCS was chosen by the EU there were no CCS cars on UK roads. Ecotricity responded to the decision by introducing the triple headed chargers that support CCS. The majority of ev's on the road in the UK take Chademo so it makes sense that most chargers support it, and helps understand why the older legacy ones support it.

John Riley, bryand and cah197 like this.
  15. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I'm an EcoT customer too but can't charge my car at all the MSA's because I was stupid enough to buy the wrong car, obviously the EH is just for Nissan cars, they didn't mention that when I signed up.

16. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I never said it was too expensive, I just said that when I arrive at an MSA I expect to be able to charge my car to enable me to continue my journey, presently the EH doesn't provide that service and is a long way from being in a position to do so, they don't have the funding to provide a proper level of support so quite how they are going to fund any improvements is a mystery, either they want to provide a service or they don't, if it's the latter then let someone who does have a go.

17. Steve Thayne

You bought a car with a new charging standard. Despite this, Ecotricity have installed CCS charging at, I think, all the motorway services. Like with a lot of new technology, there is a learning curve and failure rates at the start can be high. Chademo was the same, and seems to be improved. Hopefully CCS will too. If you buy an EV with a newer charging standard, it is reasonable to expect there will be less chargers available, at least short term.

18. Steve Thayne

An aside - and meant in jest @richtrash - wondered about your user name, and found this definition

rich trash
    A person can be male or female usually in their late teens to early twenties (17-23) who is petulant, wasteful, and lose in their morals. They typically behave in ways that are not considered appropriate for their social standing, and often flaunt their money (their parents money) around openly. Usually born into a wealthy family they have no self earned wealth. The often lead excessive and wasteful lives supported by someone else's wealth other than their own

19. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    As I've explained before, rich as in fruit cake and trash as in rubbish, actually the last bit is technically correct.

I work to quite a tight budget, I spend a bit on women, I gamble a bit, I drink a bit and I probably waste a bit as well.

As WC Fields once said "A rich man is just a poor man with money"

Steve Thayne likes this.
  20. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    You can't or won't charge on AC? :)