1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Ecotricity more expensive than a good diesel

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Jason Elsom, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Jason Elsom

Jason Elsom New Member

I've recently discovered as a long distance EV driver that it would be better for me to buy a diesel car. Since Ecotricity charge £6 for a partial charge and the distance between charging stations can be 50-60 miles I find myself having to charge twice in a 90 mile journey at a cost of £12 per 90 miles. A good diesel car can do this for around £7... Frustrated.

Paul_Moxhay likes this.
  2. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    Really? So you set off from home with a nearly flat battery?

John Riley, GTE, smartie and 3 others like this.
  3. SmurfUK76

SmurfUK76 Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Upgrade to a 30kw leaf, I can easily do 120miles on a charge from home (90 if im pure motorway) . Cost about £2

cgiAlexis and Adrianfto like this.
  4. JDleaf

JDleaf Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    £7 too you for the journey, lots more in the cost it would add to the NHS because of all the horrible stuff that it emits. It would not be better for you to have a diesel car. Thank you for driving electric.

John Riley, GTE, Kentish and 2 others like this.
  5. Anthony Earles

Anthony Earles Member

There is no such thing as a "good" diesel.

Phil W, harrisop, mclarkie and 9 others like this.
  6. Kentish

Kentish Well-Known Member

Who told you a leaf was suitable for your use profile.
    Get a zoe you'll never need to public charge again.

7. E Geeza

E Geeza Moderator

EV:
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Nissan LEAF 30
    Unfortunately, a short range EV is not ideal for regular long distance travel.
    The 'cheaper' diesel also has the hidden cost of adding to air pollution, something we all pay for!

8. cgiAlexis

cgiAlexis Active Member

1. Ecotricity are using the higher average prices in order to raise money to cover both running costs and expansion and upgrade costs

2. Buying diesel funds anti-renewable lobbying and adds 40,000 UK patients, care time, end of life care, and burials and cremations a year to the UK budget

E Geeza, John Riley and GTE like this.
  9. halcyonrichard

halcyonrichard Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    Any solid information on that ? The last expansion was the TEN-T EU funded 73 rapids. I am interested in the CCS network rapids but they seem few and far between with virtually no new ones going in.

Richard

10. Kentish

Lol. It would have to be a pretty good diesel to do 90 miles for £7 or 77mpg - must be a VW ;)
    Most would cost more like £11

11. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

You can't add burials and cremations to the cost as people will always die no matter what kills them. Whether they die early or late then the number of deaths per year is pretty much the same. A cold winter will kill more than a mild winter, so maybe the offset of global warming will be good for the early deaths in the U.K.

I drive a diesel, I have no choice, there are no viable alternatives that I can afford that would allow me to travel to and do my job.

rikdud likes this.
  12. Phunk

Phunk Member

Yup, not all of us are lucky enough to be able to charge at home.

Thanks to freeloaders and charge station hoggers taking advantage of free parking, mental pricing has been introduced.

Fine for those of you who can charge at home, however I've gone back to diesel, as it's a nightmare. Cheers guys

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Rob Obertelli likes this.
  13. Eugene Lambert

Eugene Lambert Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Tesla Roadster, Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Hmmm. I think you'll find charging for charging was introduced because Ecotricity is a business not a charity.

14. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    If you can't charge at home, sadly a diesel does make more sense at present, particularly if cost is the only criteria.

Hopefully more provision will be made for those who don't have off street parking, but I doubt there will ever be a big cost saving for those users - that ship has sailed. Ultimately the hope is that the 200+ mile cars coming will attract people based on other factors rather than just cost. The Ampera-e looks a great car and hopefully a sign of other things to come.

The use case for a low range EV and regular long journeys was very narrow and distorted by the untenable free charging. Personally having to stop and charge every 50 or so miles never appealed to me - hence I drive an Ampera. If I were looking now, perhaps I would consider a Zoe 40 as 100+ between charges is more tenable, but still not ideal for my North Wales trips.

15. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

Hmmm I thought it had been too long since we had one of these threads...

16. Kentish

Man buys wrong car, sells it, buys diesel then joins the EH haterz.

SmurfUK76 likes this.
  17. Richard Butler

Richard Butler Active Member

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    yes, it is that usual story of "usage pattern".
    the original poster does have a point, that the current infrastructure isn't good for a "long distance EV driver" (his words) if you have a Leaf or any of the the current 100 mile "city" BEVs.

That was part of why I went for a PHEV and our 2nd car is a BEV.

£6 doesn't sound too bad to top up a Tesla if you are doing it because it is a convenient stop between superchargers.

18. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

Well EH will be introducing new shorter tariffs (plus OP seems to have 'free' charges based on other posts) so the situation is far from clear...

Kentish likes this.
  19. Hilltop Dave

Hilltop Dave Well-Known Member

Any info on the introduction of shorter tariffs? 10 or 15 minute blocks, and the ability to buy more than one at once would be useful.

20. ebyard

ebyard Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    What I want to know is, has the cost of buying fuel been replaced by the cost of buying a cup of tea/dinner whilst waiting for your car? Twice in the last 2 weeks I have had dinner at Harvester Northampton whilst waiting for my car. That's £15 each time. Visit a m-way services and you buy a cup of tea, etc.

I need to find a 12v kettle, or camping stove perhaps. I keep my sleeping bag in the under-boot compartment as it is....

GTE and cah197 like this.