1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric 911!!

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by henryv, Oct 19, 2016.

1. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Lancpudn, MikeFerds, Kentish and 2 others like this.
  2. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Well they did a beetle so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch for them. I wonder if they are going to go for a load of power or keep it similar to the beetle?

3. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30

Well!
    It it is my car, so I will keep everyone up to date, as much as I can!
    We are looking at a 54 Kw battery - so are hoping for 200miles plus?
    I am sure we will have more power than the Beetle.
    The Beetle is pretty powerful in it's own right!!

It is in the very early stages and parts have been ordered.

4. Spirit Driver

Spirit Driver Well-Known Member

To have more power / speed / acceleration than the Beetle I assume you just simply fit a more powerful / faster motor ?

5. BrianM

BrianM Well-Known Member

You will need a bigger battery to allow the higher current draw too (depending on the weak point of the system of course).

6. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    2 motors?

7. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Or powercaps?

8. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Oh and by the way I really liked the Beetle. Looks very well finished and not the usual bodged together mess. Nice bit of quality workmanship there. (y)

henryv likes this.
  9. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    What are powercaps Siraff?

10. BrianM

BrianM Well-Known Member

I'm guessing capacitors to give a short burst of power.......maybe.

11. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Power capacitors. They act as dry storage so they take up more space per kWh than is reasonable for an ev but they do have some very nice sides. They can charge/discharge at massive rates - almost instantly with the correct supporting hardware. That means you could have a couple of kWh of power capacitors constantly being charged from the battery which could then give burst power of whatever they hold - so say you want to dump a kWh through the system in a few seconds, that would be possible. The power capacitor could then recharge at a rate the battery is happy with - obviously with the power only being available as long as the capacitor/s have some left in them.
    For a car like this I think they could provide an ideal solution since you only need a low C rate for normal driving but could still have massive burst acceleration from the assistance of the caps.
    The Riversimple uses them but that's more because it doesn't have enough power to accelerate properly without. If you already have normal power they are just a big bang bonus for the odd blast here and there - they also allow collection of massive currents for regen.
    I think they would really suit the sporty nature of that 911 and added to 54kWh it would have a brilliant mix of range and power.

MetalHead and henryv like this.
  12. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30

Thank you!!;)

Siraff likes this.
  13. Spirit Driver

Spirit Driver Well-Known Member

Basically what you'll find inside powerful modern photographic flash guns.

Charge within seconds from batteries, and then produce a huge surge of power, enough to illuminate a considerable area, instantly when called upon.

Siraff and henryv like this.
  14. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Do any other EV's use these?

15. davidr1963

davidr1963 Active Member

Do you mind me asking what the approximate cost of the conversion is likely to be, there are a few cars I'd like to have as an ev!

16. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    It's too early to say David.
    There is the cost of the car, and it's condition, which will be a big part of it.
    The type of finish you require etc.
    The batteries depends on your requirements.
    Richard prefers cars from the 60's or 70's.
    Mine is a 1979.
    Best way is to select your car of choice and ring Richard to discuss.
    He is a great lad, and will give you an idea of the cost.
    I would speak to him first before you buy anything, for his thoughts.

richard@electricclassiccars.co.uk

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  17. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Not sure, but they take up a lot more space volume-wise than LiOn batteries do, and they're v expensive in $/kWh compared to batteries. So might not be the best thing in a space-limited sports car, especially if trying to cram in nearly 60 kWh of cells as well. If you want to use them to supply vast overtaking surge of power, you need to be very sure that you have enough charge stored in them before you start the overtaking manoeuvre - running out of the boost as you're half-way past a large truck & going uphill might not be funny. At all.

Take a look here where I worked out a 10kWh supercap battery design, to see how it would compare to my Ampera's 10.4 kWh useable LiOn: The 500 mile EV

18. henryv

henryv Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30

Thanks Andy!!
    They will be Tesla batteries.
    Part of the early work will be using weights to find the best locations, and to see the effect the batteries have on handling.
    We will need better front brakes and suspension, and a stronger anti-roll bar.

The batteries themselves may be 6 weeks by boat!!!

19. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

The riversimple rasa does. That's more of a dicey attempt at getting funding than a serious car but it shows ho useful capacitors can be since it only has tiny hp but can still accelerate reasonable while there is power in the caps. It's biggest flaw is there's not enough power in it to charge the caps and drive normally so it's kind of a downhill circle until it's left with about 11hp.
    No idea if other ev's do but if you want to avoid high C for short bursts they are a brilliant buffer.
    A 54kWh would let you use 160-ish kW without issue which for normal driving is fine anyway. On the other hand if you have say 3kWh worth of capacitors, you could in theory blast out 180kW for one minute bursts. Obviously that would be over and above what the battery could already provide so after taking in losses, that 3kWh system is able to double power for upto a minute or so - in reality you would probably want to restrict that to less as heat build up would be pretty high in the rest of the system. That takes it from a respectable power level to a similar amount to a 996 turbo. I doubt you would want to hold that kind of power open for more than 30s or so anyway - certainly not if you like your license.

20. mgboyes

mgboyes Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210, Tesla Model X
    I've never had the slightest interest in classic cars - but the idea of taking one and fitting a 21st century drivetrain really appeals. It will be fascinating to see how the 911 turns out.

Siraff and henryv like this.