1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Car tax to rocket

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Mizuno-San, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Mizuno-San

Mizuno-San Active Member

2. knoxie

knoxie Well-Known Member

It was announced in the last Budget so its old news but still stupid :mad:

BarryP and Kenny like this.
  3. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    It was in the 2015 budget and has been discussed in other threads. I believe several forum members used it to justify their Model S purchase - part of so called "man maths", but women Tesla lovers can be just as creative with numbers (my SO used the removal of unlimited SC to justify her Model S in USA :))

4. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    The government only wants people to buy BEVs, my MP seems to think there are sufficient chargers, I have asked her why she doesn't have one, no reply so far. ;)

Dblock likes this.
  5. proddick

EV:
    It increases TCO of i3 REX model quite a bit...

6. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

The headline is somewhat misleading; we're talking about a tax on newly registered premium cars. Maybe Telsa and other manufacturers will start selling cars under £40k :)

Newly registered zero emission BEVs will still pay zero tax from 2017:
    Vehicle tax rate tables - GOV.UK

The crazy part was that cars emitting up to 100g/km were completely exempt from VED (and we know how accurate test cycles are to predict these matters):
    Vehicle tax rate tables - GOV.UK

Disgusted likes this.
  7. donald

donald Well-Known Member

At some point, someone is inevitably going to mention that it is better not to have VED at all but simply load it onto fuel prices.

Then someone else will mention how that penalises the transport companies, and those costs will mean price increases on goods and groceries.

I tell you what .. ***I*** am not going to be the first to mention those things.

8. billysielu

billysielu Extended Leave

How about just directly taxing transport companies such that it never makes sense to buy something and transport it when you can buy exactly the same thing from a shop around the corner?

ScotstounPele likes this.
  9. Geoff

Geoff Well-Known Member

This is an indication of how the government has lost interest in promoting the use of batteries to propel vehicles except BEV's.
    After the first year you will be able to tax an i3 Rex which may rarely produce any emissions or a Mustang for £140.

10. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I think it is simply laziness that no-one can be bothered to apply their minds to legislating for a difference between one car that burns next to nothing and another that guzzles the stuff.

pbceng likes this.
  11. proddick

EV:
    I believe the government are fully aware of the impact. Some reports claim that 25% of cars would pay no VED which would be a major drop in revenue.

The first year sliding scale helps to target new purchasing decisions towards low emission cars but avoids penalising lower earning families who need one older, bigger car but do few miles.

I agree it doesn't help the plug-in hybrid market, but as most recent models (i3 excepted) have very low real world battery miles, perhaps a focus on BEVs isn't a bad idea?

12. volt69

volt69 Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex
    I didn't think it applied to the i3 Rex as it's an EV? Unless you spec one to over £40k? But just to be sure my i3 rex 17 plate arrives in March to beat this and stay at £0 VED forever I guess?

Next time round I expect BMW and other premium brands to sell better speced models priced up to a fixed £39999 like they used to with ICE cars. So we will have the I3 Rex Base. ES, SE , Sport, M Sport and Luxury. Only Luxury will start over £40k and have all options. Everything else will be £39999.99. (Maybe 39999 less the paint upgrade cost so a choice of colour doesn't take you over the £40k.

I would also expect certain items to be aftersale Dealer upgrades like Tesla do that are bolted on or remote activated to alow the buyer to add them after the sale and avoid the "list price" going over £40k. So you will maybe be able to trade in standard wheels at collection for laser cut 429 alloys and pay the difference but they are fitted after the sale before you leave the forcourt. Might as well spend £600 on an after sale alloy upgrade than give the taxman £310 a year speccing them at initial sale and taking you over £40k.

Thinking about it will also make buying a base colour car and paying to have it wrapped cheaper than speccing a paid colour option if that takes you over £40k list price.

plokij likes this.
  13. proddick

EV:
    It has emissions of 13g/KM so VED will be payable. Only £10 in year 1 but standard £140 after. Plus £310 a year if "list price" over £40K (*)

* - I had assumed £40K was after grant was deducted but now I am not so sure.

14. Brian10

Brian10 Active Member

We need to move from hybrids to full Ev it's madness to carry a engine to charge the car when ranges of 200 miles are common place energy efficiency will help our pockets and the planet .

Kentish likes this.
  15. volt69

volt69 Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex
    Uh-hu. Show me this unicorn car 200 mile BEV in the UK under £40k list well specced and I will cancel my i3 Rex order tomorrow.

:whistle:

16. volt69

volt69 Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex
    I think its all on the manufacturers list price rrp with options added etc like company car tax. The list of my i3 rex after options came to £38550. Then a load of bits were added and then the £4.5k deducted to give a sale price of £35155 with VAT.

17. Ten98

Ten98 New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Not really. Electric cars use the road just as much as petrol cars do. In fact a lot of them are heavier than petrol cars so that causes more wear and tear on the road, potholes etc.

The only reason it's been free for so long is to try to encourage people to buy one.

18. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    If you set off with a full battery, and don't charge both, over a 155 mile journey my current GTE does very similar electric be petrol miles as my old i3 Rex, so I'm not sure that's quite fair comment. I got 65/90 EV/ICE miles in the i3 and 60/95 out of the Golf. I accept that mix favours the i3 over shorter journeys or if you can spare the time to stop and charge the i3.

That said, I do think it fair that anything with an ICE should pay more than a BEV.

19. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

The title of the thread really needs to be changed as it couldn't be further from the truth.

The policy objective can be found here:
    Vehicle Excise Duty - GOV.UK

20. Ten98

Ten98 New Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    It only impacts cars bought after 1st April 2017, so everyone stays on the same tax rate they are on now. It's your next car that it will impact.