1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric highway type 2 plug wear and tear

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by rjo103, Dec 1, 2016.

1. rjo103

rjo103 Active Member

It seems EH have got an issue with their type 2 plugs. Over time they are getting weathered to the point that they no longer fit in some cars (my Zoe for example).

However EH don't seem to pick this up on their maintenance checks. The one at Woodall was unusable for six months and visited several times before a twitter storm persuaded them to fix it.

The problem is that EH maintenance teams don't see it as a problem, and EH won't believe it is damaged unless there are zero successful charges at a site. As they claim to have seen a successful charge at Wetherby, they have dismissed my feedback. Presumably some cars have bigger sockets than Zoes!

I now won't use that site again, and it is marked on plugshare etc as damaged, so EH won't get much more feedback from others. So they probably think they are right.

The state Woodall reached while EH said it was fine...
    IMG_7100.JPG

Mr_G likes this.
  2. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I arrived at Leicester Forrest East and all the leads were on the floor, the CCS one has broken bits, the design of the holster is pants, why they didn't put a dummy socket on the side (with no pins) they could have included a locking mechanism the same as the car does which would resist all but the most determined vandals.

matt303, rjo103 and Neilew like this.
  3. Flyguy

Flyguy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    The older lever style CHAdeMO plug at the Peterborough services EH charger is also pretty battered and bashed. To such an extent that it would't work in my adapter a couple of weeks ago...

4. Electric Van Man

Electric Van Man Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    What a shame to see this. The rapid chargers cost approximately £18,000

5. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210

You didnt see damage like this before the plethora or 20mile AC only phevs hit the market.

6. donald

donald Well-Known Member

This is one of the issues I have occasionally raised for those very fond of telling me a BEV would suit my trips rather than the Ampera.

Basically, I don't want to risk sticking 'any old' plug into my receptacles.

If you were to use that and it did damage to your car, who is responsible? You for being dumb enough to try to use it, or EH for allowing you to? And if the latter, how do you prove it?

Welcome to the future.

Unless the national charging infrastructure is run along well-disciplined routines, per my proposals as an example of such, then it is doomed when the "greater masses" take up long distance BEVving.

7. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model X
    You're proposing a link? Are all PHEV drivers knuckle dragging morons? :)

captainlk likes this.
  8. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    Lazy is what in proposing. I've seen too many "AC" cars plugged in and not charging. I presume plugged in to bagsy a free space then unplug on way back and throw on ground.

9. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model X
    Maybe it's all those Zoe owners throwing the cable on the floor in disgust after having paid £6 to charge for half an hour at only 22kW...

10. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Ignoring basic maintenance isn't acceptable. I'd send that picture to OLEV and ask them whether they think it's acceptable to have charger plugs left in that condition for months at a time.

If any of the other charge providers are as lax then they want reporting as well.

11. Electric Van Man

Electric Van Man Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    You be careful Donald about things being plug into your receptacles lol

12. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    Perhaps.... Zoe owners get blamed for everything else, why not that?

13. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I'm just grateful if I can dock successfully ;)

14. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    £20 for a new connector + 1hr time to replace and test...

matt303 likes this.
  15. richtrash

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    Nope I have seen owners of other makes throw the connector on the ground, last time was at Cherwell and I saw someone disconnect and throw the CHADeMo plug in a muddy puddle, it's unbelievable how selfish people can be.
    Whenever I use a charger I not only stow the cable I'm using away properly I also stow any others that need it as well, doesn't cost me any time or money, EcoT have already had that.

16. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210

Its lies, all lies I tell you! Its that damn Zoe owner who uses their free EH charges thats breaking them all. ;)

17. matt303

matt303 Well-Known Member

Chargers need to detect when a connector is returned like a petrol pump with penalty fees for not returning them.

Rubbish design of the DBT units doesn't help, getting connector to stay in the holder is sometimes a right battle, never have an issue with other makes of rapid.