1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Excess mileage at end of contract..how strict is RCI?

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Nihad jaleel, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

Do RCI charge strictly per mile when they see I have gone above my 24000 allowance? Let's say 100 miles. Do they bother? Or do they have a tolerance of 500 miles before they slap on the excess? Or does it vary from inspector to inspector? Any experience guys?

2. Deano777

Deano777 Member

I'd gone over by 1400 miles on mine, paid £100

3. Nihad jaleel

So was it exactly 7 ppm excess or did they round it off?

4. BarryP

BarryP Well-Known Member

The excess is written into the agreement so is easy to work out. It's worth ensuring that you specify enough miles before you sign up , but ultimately buying, renting , leasing a car is a way to lose money. The only question becomes, 'is the utility of the car worth the expense'?

5. andrew*debbie

andrew*debbie Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    It entirely depends on your contract. Ours is written as a set amount per 100 miles.

6. BlackLeaf

BlackLeaf Well-Known Member

I don't have my contract with me, but I have this niggling memory that if you read it strictly they could choose not to take the car. The wording was quote convoluted around them being your agent to sell the vehicle, but that was how I read it.

So I'd not really squeal at the excess mileage calculation, if your contract is like the one I remember!

7. Kentish

Kentish Well-Known Member

So that applies to anything that depreciates (incl food).

8. Simon Hewison

Simon Hewison Well-Known Member

And of course, if it's PCP, and you decide to pay the difference to keep the vehicle, they don't care, since depreciation of the asset is no longer their problem, nor would they care if you've customized it, replaced the charging cables with non-original parts, or whatever.

9. BarryP

BarryP Well-Known Member

Absolutely, everything depends on personal choice. Whilst with food the choice is for necessities, with a car there are so many alternatives, including not having a car at all.

10. Kentish

Kentish Well-Known Member

Blimey, that's a nasty thought if RCI start demanding all those huge GFVs instead of taking hundreds of cars back this year. Off to read my contract.......

11. eddiec

eddiec Well-Known Member

That would be an extremely bad business decision. I certainly wouldn't enter into another PCP deal with RCI if I heard they were doing that to people.

12. prodigymad

prodigymad Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    I'm not looking forward to mine PCP collection - ended up doing 5000 miles over!!

13. cjm_2013

cjm_2013 Well-Known Member

Reading threads like this make me think I'll never risk going for a Zoe, no matter how tempting the 41kWh model is.

14. BlackLeaf

Yes, I'm quite sure even RCI would not enforce it as they would be putting an end for any Nissan or Renault sales in this country forever. It was also really complicated wording from what I remember, but if it was enforceable it could probably be used as a lever - "We're being generous in taking the car back, so pay these penalties or else we may change our minds about having it back"

15. andrew*debbie

andrew*debbie Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Based on one person posting something they might remember????

The 'acting as your agent' clause is what happens if you stop making payments. They sell the car at auction and apply it to the balance of the finance account. It is there to give them remedy if a customer walks away from a car with negative equity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    BlackLeaf likes this.
  16. Trevor Larkum

Trevor Larkum Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah, Renault Zoe Q210
    I can't say it happens always, or even often, I've no idea, but I've not had a bill for mileage on my ZOE (and I went 18k over in 3 years). I gave it a good clean and buff before handing it back, and haven't been charged anything. YMMV.

Sandy likes this.
  17. Electric Streets com

Electric Streets com New Member

I would recommend checking your wheels before the car is inspected. There was a guy who was charged £55 for a small scratch on an alloy wheel. It is beneficial to have an alloy wheel insurance as there is no or very little access. In terms of the mileage check your contract but you should anticipate 4 - 7 p per mile.

Some Leaf drivers found the inspection and the collection process quite annoying. I was advice that Nissan does not offer the collection at their dealership anymore. So be prepare for the inspection first in your place and the collection on another day as the car has to be put on a trolley. Make sure you keep the car insured till the physical collection.

Finally, if you disagree with the inspection you will be charged around £100.

18. BlackLeaf

"If you disagree with the inspection you will be charged £100" ?

They charge you £100 to argue about it?

19. Electric Streets com

Electric Streets com New Member

It is ridiculous but they apparently charge for the reinspection. I am not sure if they will pay you the fee back if the second inspection proofs that first one was wrong. For instance, Manheim's inspection is quite strict but finance companies are more relaxed and if you push them a bit they might not charge you for a scratches, mileage etc.

20. Nihad jaleel

How mu
    how much did u go over though.. do u think shining it makes it less likely they will charge? Or is it really dependant on the inspectors mood on the day?