1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

FUD Article in the Times: EVs Will Need 20 New Power Stations

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by dpeilow, Feb 11, 2017.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Militant EV driver!

EV:
    Tesla Roadster, Vauxhall Ampera
    Actually long distance is done using high voltage DC. There are lines from coast to coast in the US and across most of Russia using this. High frequency is the opposite - the higher the frequency, the higher the losses in cable (high frequency AC is otherwise known as RF, radio frequency).

andrew*debbie likes this.
  2. Hitstirrer

Hitstirrer Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    A huge problem is that many people do indeed believe what a journalist writes. They continue to buy the paper that gives them a confirmation bias fix daily - which in itself forces that paper to continue to churn out the 'facts' that they know will do that. Fortunately more and more people have broken free from this vicious circle, probably by having access to a much wider selection of opinions and observations via the internet, and are able to reveal that the mainstream papers are wrong so often.

GTE likes this.
  3. jonesthebees

jonesthebees Active Member

Such are the vagaries of memory, thanks for the clarification.

4. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

I don't have an issue with nuclear per se; I do have an issue with it's cost vs other generation.

As for news reporting; these days it seems people just read the headline without testing the truth of the substance of the reporting. We are inundated with information and it's very difficult to pull the actual facts from all the dross. Adam Curtis has done some interesting documentaries over the past few years on all this fake news / propaganda as a way to control / confuse the masses:

It appears that many nations are using similar tactics with US the latest, where it is deemed appropriate to shout down those who disagree with an argument on the basis they believe something that is completely untrue o_O

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. jonesthebees

jonesthebees Active Member

Well, I agree with you but at the same time disagree. Newspaper sales falling suggests that there is a dis-satisfaction with the press, but the internet seems to be the origin of much of the 'fake' news.
    What's needed is 'critical thinking' to discern the responsible reports from the junk. Unfortunately critical thinking, like common sense, is not that common.

Hitstirrer and GTE like this.
  6. Dean Hamer

Dean Hamer Well-Known Member

I haven't read any of the articles about this 20 new powerstation scaremongering malarkey, but....I bet the article doesn't mention the fact that if we did have 30+ million electric cars that would be a massive amount of electric saved on the refining, storing, pumping and transporting of the petrol/oil.

7. Hitstirrer

Hitstirrer Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    No need to disagree because I just didn't expand enough on my early musings. I agree with your own observation. I did make the assumption that people who expose themselves to a far wider selection of inputs will also be in a position to filter out the dross. Being in a position to be able to begin that evaluation is key here. Refusing to read/watch the alternatives is the problem although, as you say, there will be some who do take the trouble to fact check but will still not engage the brain when reaching a conclusion.

jonesthebees likes this.
  8. eddiec

eddiec Well-Known Member

20 Hinkley Points would generate

20 x 3.2GW x 24h/day = 1536 GWh/day

Assuming 3 miles/kWh (or 3,000,000 miles per GWh) that would be enough to drive 31,000,000 cars:

1536 GWh/day x 3,000,000 (miles/GWh) / 31,000,000 = 149 miles/day or 54,000 miles per year.

If the average annual milage is only 7,900 miles then we only need another:

20 Hinkleys / 54,000 x 7,900 = 3 Hinkleys assuming we can spread demand throughout the day.

That's ignoring the fact we already have plenty of spare generation capacity at night when most people need to charge their cars.

Clem and dpeilow like this.
  9. dpeilow

EV:
    Went to the editor of the Times:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. dpeilow

EV:
    We don't - overnight capacity is enough to handle it already.

11. BlackLeaf

BlackLeaf Well-Known Member

Wish I could apply more than one "like" to a post

dpeilow likes this.
  12. ebyard

ebyard Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Tweeted The Times to complain.

What we need is a really eye catching full page advert in major newspapers with a simple ICE vs EV comparison, and downplay the environmental benefits because they are of secondary importance to most people.

Anyone up for helping fund one? No idea how much a full page ad costs....anyone?

zerotosixty2 and Matt Beard like this.
  13. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    Nobody worth targeting reads print media, save your cash (and it will be a lot of cash)

BlackLeaf likes this.
  14. ebyard

ebyard Active Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Aside from the Sun and Daily Fail readers, I agree with you. There needs to be some way of educating people about the truth of the matter.

15. NeilG40

NeilG40 Active Member

As we're in the middle of winter there should be an advert on tv of somebody turning on the preheat then walking out to a clear windscreen whilst all the neigbours are out scraping theirs. No manufacturer would do it though as it would just make their other models look bad.

Neilew likes this.
  16. dpeilow

EV:
  17. bitmanev

bitmanev Active Member

Danger as most ICE drivers just run their engines to do the same...

18. NeilG40

NeilG40 Active Member

In that case just show somebody stealing the neighbours car while it's unnattended.:)

19. Dean Hamer

Dean Hamer Well-Known Member

• "You have enough electricity to power all the cars in the country if you stop refining gasoline," says Musk. "You take an average of 5 kilowatt hours to refine [one gallon of] gasoline, something like the Model S can go 20 miles on 5 kilowatt hours."

Anyone know if this fact is accurate for us in the UK?

20. Mr_G

Mr_G Well-Known Member

It would be enough electricity to power about half the cars in the UK if we stopped refining fossil fuel for cars. The refinery efficiency is of about the same order as the US but the actual figures are commercial secrets (something like on various estimates 0.7 to 1 KWh per litre) but UK cars tend to be nearer 40 mpg average than the 20 mpg average for the USA.