1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Golf GTE to Passat GTE.

Discussion in 'VW Passat GTE' started by John Richardson, Nov 28, 2016.

1. John Richardson

John Richardson Member

Hi. I'm thinking about an upgrade from our beloved golf GTE to the Passat GTE. We love the drivetrain and ownership experience but it can't take the dogs easily and isn't heavy enough for very occasional towing duties. If anyone has any real experience of the Passat, particularly if you know both cars I'd love some opinions or thoughts.

2. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I haven't even clapped eyes on a Passat GTE, let alone driven one, but I get a Passat as a hire car fairly frequently.

To be honest, a more inoffensive car would be harder to find. It's like a bigger Golf really.

Ride is different to a Golf due to the longer wheelbase, but like most modern premium cars these days it's very surefooted and remains composed unless you're pushing on to silly speeds IMHO. It's as beautifully built as you'd imagine, and the Passat GTE will probably be a cut above the Golf GTE in the refinement stakes as long as they don't put daft tyres on it a la Golf...

My only problem with the Passat, the ones I've had on hire anyway, is the rather lacklustre engines in the 'cooking' models. They're ok and competitive with rivals, but the Passat is a big heavy lump and always feels like it could do with more power.

I think the GTE version would probably solve that aspect, it develops a bit more power from both its electric motor and the ICE compared to the Golf GTE IIRC.

The estates are pretty cavernous, certainly in comparison to a Golf, the dogs should have no problem fitting in!

If I had a requirement for a bigger car, I'd love a Passat GTE, but the wife's 2 series tourer is the family wagon.

John Richardson likes this.
  3. John Richardson

John Richardson Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Sounds good so far.

4. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    Just got my Passat GTE last week .. Very happy so far .. very well screwed together. GTE mode is quick :eek:, but will drain your tank & battery in no time.

Not sure about towing, I guess it'll be stable (weight wise) and the battery could help with hills and slow speed acceleration. Fuel economy would be very bad though .. my engine only mpg is only around the 40 mark, so long distance is not great for this powertrain :( ..

Tim Ostler likes this.
  5. gladini

gladini Active Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    @Tekkfreak Out of interest, what does
    a) the range display suggest a full battery will give you
    b) what have you got (in this current weather) out of a full battery when driven just in eMode ( if you've done that)

6. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @gladini ..
    (a) The range is usually 25 on really cold days. I've seen once a 27, but mostly it's 26.
    (b) As for driving on E-mode, then my aim is to get to work ~23miles .. but not succeeded so far. I think the best I did was 254mpg on Fri .. I can't remember but I think that was 90% battery .. so about 20 "real" miles.
    Today was terrible I think it was 130mpg and about 75% battery .. (probably loads more stopping / starting)

Just shame I can't review on the Car-Net UI .. all the data will be on the server ... just not visible to us!!!:mad::mad::mad:

gladini likes this.
  7. Manny

Manny New Member

Had a Passat GTE for two months, great looking car, loads of gadgets but out of 28 miles available on a full charge, never achieved more than 16 even with a good percentage of that downhill. very dissapointing

8. Ralf

Ralf Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    @Manny - I presume the Passat is very similar to the Golf, but you might get slightly less range if the car is heavier.

When I first got my Golf, I was struggling to get beyond about 17 miles, even driving quite sedately. Now though (well not actually now it's so cold as I have the heater on), most days I can *just* manage the 21 mile trip to work. To achieve that, I use the cruise control to accelerate up to the speed limit as it's usually less aggressive than just putting your foot down, even if you're trying to be careful. If you go over about 50mph, your battery will be sapped even just maintaining speed on the level. When there's a downhill section, I'll make sure it's in D mode and even then it'll try to recharge a bit if the slope is above a few degrees, so I lightly press the accelerator to try to make my consumption as close to 0.0 as I can manage (and it really helps to have the display in kWh/100km for this).

9. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @Manny .. yeah I'm pretty disappointed too. The best I get is around the 20 miles mark .. so even though the Passat has a bigger battery (~20%) I guess it still doesn't make up for extra losses for the extra weight.

@Ralf .. I started using the ACC for as much as my commute as possible, when I first had the car. But now I use it for motorways only and switch between B and D modes and try to touch the brake pedal as little as I can. Although it hasn't made 4 miles difference to me, probably only a mile or so. Even slip streaming lorries doesn't seem make that much difference .. :confused:

I'm hoping that come the summer time, I may be able to eek out enough for my 23 mile commute .. my guess during summer hols when traffic is kinder to me! :LOL:

I just wish there were better info displays for the Kwh usage over the journey so I see where the losses are most significant.

10. BrianW66

BrianW66 Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Recently whilst using ACC, slow to moderate speeds (30-50MPH); I noticed whilst using ACC, DSG would hold on to 4th gear/slightly higher power meter, but ACC off, 6th gear/lower power meter, same at 40MPG.
    There is no doubt in my mind, that ACC use is at a slight cost of eMPG or MPG for that matter, but given the number of average speed cameras in our area due to a new bridge being constructed along with enhanced road network; I would rather loose a little milage than a lot of cash and points on a driving licence for a possible speeding ticket.
    Pro's and con's.

11. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @BrianW66 totally agree with your observation on the the ACC. In fact I tried no ACC on the motorway today .. and turned my A/C heater off too .. and I MADE IT TO WORK!! (23 miles). 1st time I've ever done that .. so BRING ON THE WARMER DAYS!! Just over a 10% saving .. :LOL: My average was 3.2mi/Kwh

Perhaps what I need to do now is crank my pre-conditioning heater up a little more, get a hat and jumper .. stop using A/C and see if I can repeat. BTW external temp was 8degC, and only 1 bar seat heater kept me warm, so things were chilly in the cabin when I arrived.

So my conclusion. Don't bother "slip-streaming" lorries, just turn your A/C off and put a coat on! (y):D

12. Martin G

Martin G Night Blue Golf GTE Nav Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Do you have heated seats? I know I've read before about the Tesla Model S that it's recommended to turn down the heating and use a heated seat instead as they use less energy and you aren't heating the whole cabin for one person. My Golf GTE range meter said I could gain 6 extra miles last night if I turned off the heater

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  13. Tekkfreak

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @Martin G Oh yes! .. and very nice they are too (compared with my previous car). The only issue is that the back seat doesn't have any, so my kids complain bitterly now I keep the A/C temp on low and they lost the use of seat heaters.

LOL :ROFLMAO:

I'm certainly not eating my cabin :sick: .. but agree your point. However it's weird as my A/C system has eco zones and detects the passengers are not sitting so turns the rear and passenger into this mode. However my feeling is that I don't think it really saves anything ..

The other thing you notice is that POTENTIAL EXTRA MILES on the range screen always sits at <1mile. With A/C on it's up to 5miles on a full battery. It's almost that this potential is nothing to do with how you drive, but is telling you about the saving switching the A/C off. :confused:

Perhaps what VW need to do is add a fuel burning heater, so we don't need to waste battery on this! :p

14. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Got in the car this morning, 6deg outside, had been on a preheat charge+timer, and the climate control was on auto ( but mirrors not on).
    Turned on ignition fully to get the green ready and the GOM said 21 "in theory". Depressed.
    -6 yeah ok maybe , but +6degrees and preheat ?

15. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    same again just now about to leave work.
    Full circle of charge apparently..... so not got a max charge setting slider wrong.

$3CB7053BB8F0E81D.jpg

16. MrPaulus

MrPaulus Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    It's the same as the Golf GTE; completely normal.

17. Jon72

Jon72 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Turn the heater off if you want 31 miles. Even with preheat the heater consumes a lot, proportionally more so for a plug in with a relatively smaller battery than a BEV.

18. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    It was just these kind of issues that made me plump for a BEV, after long (and I mean long!) deliberation over a PHEV.

Life's too short to obsess over one or two miles of electric-only traction. My car will give me reliable E-mode for 85 miles. When that's run out, I switch to the other half of my PHEV: my 11 year-old Audi A2. ;)

19. gladini

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I'll be getting v2 ( or maybe v3 Mark8) eGolf next time Tim, and I can obsess a bit more with that one...
    Is there a word for getting 5miles from home in a BEV, and knowing now you can def make it, so time to turn on the heater, radio and maybe [Officer] flex the right foot on the slip road down onto the motorway.....

By the way I want to better quality camera to show the not-quite-full-gauge I think I see on the website graphic.

@Jon72 I get 28 ..... once 27, sometimes 29 but maybe once in twenty.

Tim Ostler likes this.
Possibly Related Discussions… - Golf GTE Passat
  1. Gizmo
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Gizmo
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Shakeitallabout
    Replies:
    Views: