1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Green Energy Tide smart tariff

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by BobbyC, Jan 9, 2017.

1. BobbyC

BobbyC Member

2. SandBee

SandBee Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I had a look at that, but I very much doubt it would work for us. The very low overnight rate is offset by a peak tariff in late afternoon/early evening, right when we (as many others) need electricity for cooking and all sorts. For those with gas cooking as well as heating, and who can do most of their EV charging overnight, it could be worth doing the sums.

3. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Nissan LEAF 30
    Or look at economy 7 / economy 10 tariffs.

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Active Member

why wouldnt you just use a normal Economy 7 tarrif? I dont have E7, but i happened to me playing around with a comparison site earlier and found some deals with 11p peak, 5p off peak, which compares pretty well with my current normal tariff at 9p at all times, rather than having a ludicrous on-peak price.

5. BobbyC

BobbyC Member

I couldn't find any renewable E7 deals with anything like those tariffs where I live (South East)

6. thinfourth

thinfourth Non Member

First electricity tariff based on time of day.

Really?

So When i was fitting storage heaters in the early 90's and additional electricity meters with timers in them

What was that based on?

The colour of my pants?
    The migratory patterns of swallows?

journalist morons

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Active Member

I suspect its the first "renewable" tariff that has it.

A renewable tariff seems completely pointless anyway, the makeup is outwith your control, and paying extra for "green" power just means the power companies are laughing all the way to the bank. Its all the same stuff coming out the wall...

Unless they switch your power off at night when the wind isnt blowing? But then that wouldnt be much use for charging your car, would it?

8. BobbyC

BobbyC Member

Jolly good. Thanks for the constructive posts - there is plenty of moronic journalism out there but I don't think this article qualifies.

Well I've done the maths and it works for me so I'll be switching. Rarely in between 4 and 7. 4.99p is less than I can get elsewhere and we don't use too much gas plus its cheaper than what i'm paying at the moment. The company looks reputable and the fact that there is some renewable energy thrown into the mix is a bonus.

JohnEV, Aceshigh and Simon Forrest like this.
  9. Simon Forrest

Simon Forrest Well-Known Member

Green companies tend not to pay the big bosses stupid high wages,they tend to more invest profits back in and set up / fund other green sustainable enterprises.
    Good on em.
    :)

BobbyC likes this.
  10. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Nissan LEAF 30
    That's more than what some would do, there are those that just believe what the switching site tells them based on the silly calculation that you will stay on a suppliers standard tariff after a fixed rate ends - because this is what ofgem believes.

Although I do remember doing the sums myself a few years ago but calculated my gas usage based on m3 instead of kWh, that was an expensive first bill before I realised my mistake and switched again!

11. ardandy

ardandy Electric Leaf Man

How's it been on this tariff?

12. BobbyC

BobbyC Member

The actual switch over was very quick (I applied mid Jan and was connected Feb 1) however I am still waiting for a smart meter which has been pencilled in for end of March.....
    Until then I am on an interim tariff which whilst slightly cheaper than what I was on with BG does not obviously give me variable pricing - so have not benefited significantly yet.
    I think they were snowed under with applications.

13. Flyguy

Flyguy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    I have just applied to transfer onto the TIDE tariff as well.

I also asked about our PV and they are happy to set up the smart meeter to measure actual export. In addition I asked about a possible future Powerwall 2 install and they said it was fine by them to use battery technology to time shift cheap power for re-use during their peak time. In fact they said that making the most environmentally sensible use of available electricity generation was what they were trying to promote and this would be encouraged !

Going to miss the free EH refills, but its time to move on....

14. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    The fact you can compare and find tarriffs that are cheap in one area and expensive in another by the same company is bonkers. Makes suggesting companies to others around the country pot luck. We are looking forward to moving in a couple of years and getting solar and economy 7. Charge at night, solar during the day and if it works out cheap enough a battery for evening. You can bank on death, taxes, and bills going up. Payback on solar is looking better by the day.