1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from BMW i3 owner

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by Sanjeev H, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

Hello everyone,
    I decided to plunge into EV (BMW i3) and getting is delivered on the 14th. Reading. NOT REX
    Since this is first EV car, wondering what are the things that I should be prepared for. Below is the list I am thinking but please feel free to add / amend and advice PLEASE!
    1. Getting charging cable (not sure if this comes with the car as dealer did not mention apart from default 13Amp charger)
    2. Charging cards ( chargenow from BMW is only for new cars and not for used cars), should I consider any other charge cards.
    3. Installation of charging point at home, BMW I wallbox is nice but expensive. any other suggestion would be good.
    4. I read here that front boot is not water proof , I should be looking at waterproof storage, any pointer to this would be useful.
    5. Any accessories requires?

Initially for upto 2-3 months I will be doing short journeys and I wanted to want I need to be prepared with.

Any help and suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks

John Riley and stratadel like this.
  2. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    2/ You do not need to have a new car to get a ChargeNow card. Anyone can apply for one and get 6 months free membership. ChargeNow is in fact run by Polar and is identical in every way to a Polar account with the exception that ChargeNow customers can only use their usage points to borrow a BMW i8 for 7 days, while Polar card customers can use their points to try a variety of electric cars. So my suggestion would be to apply for a Polar card. No need to wait, apply now.

3/ In practice the BMW wallbox does nothing a cheap charger cannot do except cost more. The Rolec box is the most popular and will cost £199 installed with a tethered cable. There are lots of threads on here about merits of various chargers.

4/ The front boot is too small for anything other than the charging cables. Forget about storing anything else in there.

Have fun and enjoy your car.

3. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    I missed out point 1/

You will need a charging cable if you want to use public fast chargers.
    Hassle your dealer for a 'blue python' cable. The BMW cable is good quality and comes with a bag to keep it dry. It is possible to buy 3rd party cables a little cheaper online.

4. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60ah, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    I believe this should still be offered gratis on non-business sales via BMW dealer network.

5. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

Thank you all for your replies and useful information.
    It's been 2 days since I placed an order. But I am now confused with regards to the model.
    how do I confirm if the car is fitted with new battery i.e 94 Ah ?
    I double confirm with the sales agent and he said its new battery but I am not seeing that anywhere on the paper.

At this point all I know is that its Reg date is Jun/16, Production week is 04/16

Any help in re-assuring will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH

My car was one of the early 94Ah models and I got it in August, so if yours was registered in June unless it was a very early production is probably going to be a 60Ah. I do not know an easy way of telling the difference other than looking at the range meter on the dash. In this weather a 94Ah should show a range above 100 miles when fully charged.

7. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    I did think of one way to tell a 60Ah car.
    If when you open the charger flap you see only one rubber bung over the charger socket then it is a 60Ah.

If there are two rubber bungs one above the other, then the car has CCS DC charging which was an option on 60Ah, but standard on 94Ah.

Is there an online advert from the dealer for this car? If you can post a link we might be able to pick up some clues.

8. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

Thanks stratadel, Online advert from the dealer is removed for some reason.
    But I found similar one "BMW i3 - Newcastle Upon Tyne"
    When I checked mine it had two rubber bungs one above the other. top was being used for charging. Sales person also mentioned that it comes with charger to charge at home.

I paid deposit and not sure should I go ahead or cancel the order :(

9. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

After checking with later 94aH spec, it is clear that mine is with older battery pack i.e 60aH. I am now gutted and all the excitement is gone. Not sure if I get the money back from the dealer if I cancel the order ?:cry::cry:

10. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    That advert is not much help. The tech spec is for a 60Ah (quoted range of 62 miles), but the colour is fluid black which is only available in 94Ah (I think).

I think you will have to check that range meter to confirm. If the price you are paying is similar to that advert then it would be an incredible deal for a 94Ah car which would be about £30k new.

BTW: It is good it has CCS charging. It means you can use rapid chargers which makes long journeys possible.

11. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    They will have to give you your deposit back if they have misled you.
    Lots of people use 60Ah cars without any problem, but obviously if you want to make long journeys the 94Ah is considerably more convenient.

Good luck.

12. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

Thanks again.
    i3 would be only small journeys. for long journeys we got X3.
    In your honest opinion is it ok to go for 60Ah or should I pay extra and get 90Ah. I am thinking more on a long term plan and also I am taking it on PCP for 4 yrs so I will have option to change after 2-3 yrs

Any advice will be useful as I am utterly confused.

13. stratadel

stratadel Active Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94aH
    An electric car charges overnight so every morning it is fully charged. So long as the range is greater than your daily needs then it does not matter how big the battery is. You have another vehicle you can use for long journeys so a 60Ah car could be perfectly usable for you.

In my own case the i3 is my only car and I often do 250 mile trips so I got the 94Ah with Rex.

What you do not want to do is pay the wrong price. A 60Ah car sells for less than a 94Ah car so you should check the price you are paying is appropriate for the model. PCP is a good idea since we can expect all EVs to depreciate rapidly as new models come along with better range. BMW i3 depreciates slower than most other EVs, but who knows what prices will be like in a few years.

It is up to you if you keep the car, but at the very least you should give the dealer a really hard time over misleading you. Speak to the sales manager. You may shame him into improving the deal.

You have not mentioned how long your daily commute is. If it is less than around 45 miles then a 60Ah would do it in all weathers with plenty left over.

Whatever you decide let us know how you get on.

14. Sanjeev H

Sanjeev H New Member

Thanks again. I am trying to get in touch with dealer to discuss this further. but no luck so far.
    Our daily commute is no longer than 45-50 miles round trip. So, plenty of backup I would imagine.
    But I will have to be little careful and well planned for a long trip (i.e beyond 90-100 miles)

I am paying just under 20k for 6 months old & 5k miles with good spec. similar price I see on the used car site.