1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Down under

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by galderdi, Jan 11, 2017.

1. galderdi

galderdi New Member

Hi,

I have actually already posted a couple of times on the forum but only just realised I haven't done the introduction.

I have been competing in grass roots motorsport since 2005. But recently I built myself an Electric Vehicle (EV) from the ground up.

Engine: Advanced DC FB1 4001
    Exhaust: None
    Suspension: Home grown
    Wheels: Various (some Bob Jane specials and some Simons)
    Modifications: Everything from the ground up
    Stereo Audio / Visual: None
    Estimated Power: Power is not huge at around 75 KW but the torque is 440nm from 0 revs.

I know its not the usual ride you would expect to see here. I have built this car specifically for khanacross events. It weighs 530kg. Most of the running gear is from an N13 pulsar. It is front wheel drive and still has all 5 forward gears.

I also use it for Motorkhana and hill climbs but it is most suited to Khanacross.

I started the build in March 2015, it was driving by October 2015 and competing Feb 2016. It was very satisfying getting it done in that timeframe considering I built an entire chassis and implemented all the electric running gear. The only parts I didn't make myself were the adaptor for the flywheel, modifications to the flywheel itself and the bends for roll cage.

When I first built it the controller was a Curtis 1231C and the batteries were lead acid. Neither were up to the task so I have now upgraded them.

The batteries are now from a Holden Volt. They give 7kwh of power starting at 170v dc and a peak of about 500amps. The motor controller is now a Zeva 1000amp unit with the Zeva BMS and central management system.

I got soem mixed results in 2016 as it was still going through some teething issues. But I am confident I have those all sorted and I am aiming for podium positions at my events this year.

Here is the link to my thread:
    https://speakev.com/threads/aussie-autocross-ev.19511/

I have also created a new Youtube channel and Facebook page:
    Full Charge Motorsport
    Full Charge Motorsport | Facebook

Please share these around as much as possible as I am trying to get some visibility over the next 6 months.

SkyeEnt, John Riley and HandyAndy like this.
  2. Dennis

Dennis Moderator

EV:
    BMW ActiveE, Tesla Model S, Tesla Roadster
    Welcome to SpeakEV.

What part of Oz?

3. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

Welcome, ure living the dream! What do I do for a living?

4. Nihad jaleel

5. galderdi

galderdi New Member

I am in Brisbane, Queensland. I am currently a Business Analyst (IT) working for the Electricity Distribution company.
    I started my work life as an Electroplater and then as a Telecommunications Technician.
    So electrons seem to run through my veins....or should that be nerves.

6. Nihad jaleel

Wud luv to see some pics! Not often do we get guys on here making these! We are all into deals and how to screw dealers out of their money, on here!! And guess what happens in the end!!

7. galderdi

galderdi New Member

0D3A8537a.jpg 0D3A8710a.jpg 25338025285_23a8e5df59_c.jpg 20150721_172547_resized_1.jpg

Here are a few to choose from. I have a heap more. Let me know if there is anything specific you'd like to see.

8. Nihad jaleel

Wow! Max speed?

9. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Wow! And is that chain round the motor a safety feature in case you blow the motor up? Are you allowed to make these 4WD ? I imagine you suffer rather a lot of wheelspin with that torque & light weight, so do you do a lot of gearchanging to control that & get better power out at high speeds? So many questions!

10. galderdi

galderdi New Member

Top speed is still unknown. With all the development I've been doing it's like a totally different car but I haven't had the right event to test the top speed again. But the highest I've had it to was only 90kmph in the old configuration. That was with the old controller in 3rd gear and only pumping 300 amps from the batteries. With the new controller allowing 500 battery amps and 1000 motor amps and still another 2 gears to go I suspect the top speed would be around 150kmph. But in khanacross it will be more like 105kmph because there aren't any straights.

my next few events are motorkhanas which are event tighter again so I still won't get to test the higher speeds. But the next Khanacross is April (from memory) so I am really looking forward to that one. This car should be perfect for khanacross. I placed 8th outright at the last one, and that was despite all the teething issues at the time. With all the improvemenfs since then I am aiming for a podium position or maybe even top spot.

No 4wd unfortunately, the rules specifically exclude it. I do get a lot of wheel spin but mainly on launch. So I added a button and dial that allow me to choose a slightly reduced throttle level while I launch. Then when I release the button I have full throttle again.

The chain was only there during the build so I could hoist the motor and gearbox in and out. It is gone now.

John Riley and HandyAndy like this.
  11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    The chain, ah, of course! I also wondered if it added weight over the driving wheels - reminded me of people who used to put sandbags in boot of their rear-wheel drive cars for more traction; if you added lead weights over the front wheel, maybe you'ld actually accelerate faster, as a greater %age of your total weight would be on the front .vs. rear wheels, and by the sounds of it you have plenty of torque to make use of any extra grip?

12. Nihad jaleel

Looks super cool! Add neon green for electric!!

13. galderdi

galderdi New Member

The neon green is coolant for the batteries. The batteries are from a Chevvy Volt and come with cooling as standard

14. Electric Streets com

Electric Streets com New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
  15. galderdi

galderdi New Member

Thanks. I am quite happy with it so far

16. Nihad jaleel

Silly question.how much have u spend on this..not including ur time and effort!

17. galderdi

galderdi New Member

I made some critical errors in regard to the batteries and controller that have meant significant duplication of cost. Including the duplication would be about $15,000. But if I didn't make those mistakes it would be more like $12,000. Don't forget that includes everything to build the chassis too.

18. Nihad jaleel

April £7300..not bad..but wudnt be so easy in UK I think..!

19. galderdi

galderdi New Member

Yeah not too bad. Why would it be more difficult in the UK? Don't forget it's not road registered.