1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Chargemaster 30amp does not like Leaf cable

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Brunel, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24, Tesla Model S
    My 2014 30amp untethered Chargemaster (installed by British Gas) has recently taken a dislike to my Nissan Leaf cable. For a while it has taken a lot of jiggling to start a charge and if one brushed against it the green light would flick off and stop charging. It is so bad now that I gave up trying to get it to work this week.

Luckily I have a Rolec 32amp which I mainly use for the Tesla, although sometimes the RCBO gets unhappy and flicks off with the Tesla. The Leaf charges fine with the same lead in that charge-point and my blue Tesla lead works fine in the ChargeMaster socket.

Is there a magic wiggle or spray that is commonly deployed to resolve this fault as I am having to squeeze the Tesla round the side of the house and get a slower charge (1st world problem)? I cannot tell if I should be cross with the Leaf connectors or the Chargemaster charge-point. I also do not want this to be a precursor to something more terminal

Thoughts welcome!

2. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    You need to try and work out if it's a broken cable or a worn pin problem, I suspect one of the cores inside the cable has broken, seems like a fairly common problem.

3. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    If you can tell us where u live, there may be another member nearby who can help with cable-connector & charger-swap to narrow down where the problem lies. Worked a treat for me when I thought I had a dead car, was in fact 2 dead chargers.

Mike Schooling likes this.
  4. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    That thought crossed my mind when a black Leaf drove past my house this morning! Mainly see Zoes and Teslas though. I am 3 miles West of Cribbs Causeway near Bristol.

Strange that the cable works in the Rolec, but I guess the tolerance is different.

BTW 2 dead chargers is bad luck. My charge-points are not locked so if someone wants to pop onto the drive even when I am not there then PM me!

Cheers.

5. HandyAndy

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Hope you find a volunteer! I'm too far away sadly. Cable working in Rolec but not other charger might mean pins are a bit worn & the way the cable plugs in forces it to one side a bit, or broken pilot-cable line similarly connecting when cable is strained etc.
    2 dead chargers wasn't bad luck, it was a dead-short in the car's socket which killed a Mainpine, and forced EV Connectors brick to drop-out in self-protect mode. Took me some time to realise I could reset it - excellent item IMHO. After car had been repaired, both EVSEs appeared dead although the gge had charged car ok, hence my puzzlement. Just as well the gge mended it BEFORE they tried it on their own charger! :)

6. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    Thanks. To be fair the cable will be 6 years old in April as the Leaf is an April 2011 model.

Presumably cable manufacturers have learnt a lot about hardiness in recent years. Once we get to mass EV adoption people will be miffed at replacing cables and failed charge-points. Hoping safety will trump built-in obsolescence!

7. HandyAndy

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Oh no! You used the "T" word ! :eek:

8. richtrash

richtrash The older I get the faster I was

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex
    I'm very disturbed by this, I was taught to use Nelly the Elephant because it has exactly the right rhythm for CPR, I'm going to have to switch to the Achy Breaky Heart now, not sure how people will feel about being revived by me singing that though, the people that voted him in have no idea of the problems they have caused:mad:

HandyAndy likes this.
  9. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    Right, now the Rolec does not like the car either and I cannot get any blue lights on the dash. Hopefully just the cable and not the Type 1 connector or inverter in the car is at fault.

Might look for a 2nd hand Type 1 to Type 2 to buy just in case it is not that...luckily I have a Rapid charger nearby, but my wife is not going to be happy, especially as the battery is plummeting with the heating on and we lost the 1st bar well over a year ago.

If anyone does want to help me test a Type 1 to Type 2 of theirs this weekend - I am very close to Cribbs nr Bristol.

10. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    Luckily I do also have the Nissan EVSE gathering dust in the garage, so if that works it should rule in or out the cable.

11. Brunel

Brunel Member

EV:
    After 2.5 years of no use the EVSE has come up trumps and is trickling away. It is just rather cold in my home office with the window open...

It looks more cost effective to buy a new Type 1:Type 2, but both connectors look like they can be unscrewed on my current cable so if someone wants to give it a new home that would make me happy - I am not going to mess about with changing heads and I do not know if it is the pins on the Type 1 or 2 that is playing up!

12. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

Maybe the pins are corroded in the lead and that the chargers either have different wear patterns or slightly different sizes of socket where the contact is better.

I'm sure I saw a tutorial of how to clean the pins in the cables correctly using switch cleaner and lint-free cleaning swabs.