1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

How to fix broken heating

Discussion in 'Renault ZOE' started by CaptFish, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CaptFish

CaptFish Well-Known Member

Ok, on the German forum a renault dealer has now mentioned that multiple use of pre hear, no matter through which method, can disable and confuse the heat pump controller. The solution is a change of the controller, but this needs to be tested at a garage and authorised by renault.
    To fix it yourself when your heating fails, try this:
    1. Lock car and let it go to sleep 15 minutes or so.
    2. Heat the outside temperature sensor to 15 deg or more with a hair dryer or hot wet blanket.
    3. Start car and select min temperate and auto mode. This should already activate the heat pump as the car will try to cool the car.
    4. Now select normal temperature, once the outside temperature has dropped (obviously stop heating the sensor), the car should heat again.
    Fortunately, our heating works at the moment, so can't try, but maybe anybody else could give it a go. In Germany they are pretty miffed at renault, it is a known problem. Suggest to report it to renault at any case so that they get a better picture of the problem and act.

2. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    I'd be interested in the outcome of this. Question is why would heating the sensor make the car work. Unless it's protecting itself from damage by not working. How cold will the compressor be happy with before tricking it causes one to cracked with excessive cold?

@yoh-there can you report on outside temp sensor, I know info is in there as i907 shows it. That and the Bar pressure reading can probably go a long way to highlighting any issues.... Oh and if the restive heater element is on (that I can't find in i907)

cgiAlexis likes this.
  3. CaptFish

Thanks @Sandy, I think the key is to keep reporting to renault whenever this happens so that they take action.

The above process is not really a permanent solution, more a quick fix. However, I would prefer if the heating would not pack in in the first instance. I will raise dealer next week when it goes for its first service.

emc likes this.
  4. yoh-there

yoh-there Co-author of CanZE. Q210

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    Yup, it is all in the new version, that should be out in a few weeks. I think I posted a teaser a while back, but here it is anyway (pardon the Dutch; new version will be multi-language too)
    [​IMG]
    Anomalies are: static emulator running in the left hand part, green line (setpoint) goes to zero when AC/Heater is switched off.

5. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    yoh-there likes this.
  6. yoh-there

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    Another teaser. Couldn't pry power of the compressor out, but RPM is a neat indication I'd say.

[​IMG]

StinkyPete and mihai like this.
  7. CaptFish

Great work, you must release before the weather gets warmer... :)

8. yoh-there

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    I know I know ;-) I hope you realize you already have most of this in the current (Android) release. The new stuff is a bug fix on the green line and the RPM graph, which gives a nice indication on what the hell it's doing!

Maybe we should consider publishing unsigned nightly builds of the bleeding edge version, but then again, the few people interested in that are probably proficient enough to install Android Studio.....

Possibly Related Discussions… - fix broken heating
  1. tim_battersby
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. ronnie136
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Appmacguy
    Replies:
    Views: