1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

ICE always park at charging bay.

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by cussonyu, Nov 7, 2016.

1. cussonyu

cussonyu New Member

hi all
    i always have a problem that there is one car always park at the same spot all the time which he car park everywhere else.

it is one of those on the street charging bay which is share with everyone else. the other side is for those car club parking so no hope as well.

should i just leave a letter suggest to park one next to it so people who need a charge can use it.
    and anyone could suggest what should i say in the letter

thanks

2. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Experienced this for the first time as I arrived at an Asda in which all 4 EV bays were fully ICE'd Two of the drivers returned from their shopping as I was nosing around the chargers and didn't even bat an eye lid at their faux pas.

In the case of the car park I visited, the bays are really in the wrong place right by the entrance so (without some sort of enforcement) will invariably be ICE'd.

What is the etiquette for dealing with this other than passing back to Asda?

3. Donald Allwright

Donald Allwright Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    I would start with a very polite conversation with the ICE owner - "Excuse me but I need to refuel my car, unfortunately you have parked in the electric vehicle charging space which means I'm unable to do so, would you mind moving to another space please?".

gladini likes this.
  4. cussonyu

cussonyu New Member

weekend at local asda is hopeless 6 charging bays, just me is ev, the others is ICEs, or my new term to them " Wireless Charging"

5. Electric Van Man

Electric Van Man Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    Do what I do at ASDA
    Make use of my 10 meter type 2 lead.
    Park behind them and block them in.
    You should see their little faces looking out the car windows when I return pushing my trolly of shopping.
    I always stop for a cuppa in the cafe as well lol lol

Disgusted, cah197, Phooby and 6 others like this.
  6. LJ99

LJ99 New Member

I think that is the key, having the charging bays away from the door of the supermarket/shop. As 10 times out of 10, everyone else tries to park as close to the door as possible and disabled bays, drop off only, charging bays etc are just another parking space to these people because 'they'll only be a minute'!

Jon72, gladini and GTE like this.
  7. Electric Van Man

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    I have said this before, that when they install these charging points they need to be well away from the stores entrance. As all the lazy sods like you say "I will only be 5 mins" will block the bays.

Jon72 likes this.
  8. Electric Van Man

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    My suggestion would be Disabled / Charging Bays

9. Richard Butler

Richard Butler Active Member

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
  10. cussonyu

cussonyu New Member

I left a message last week when he still parking at the bay along with my contact no. didnt have too much hope but he call back and say he wont be parking at that charging bay anymore.

:)

Wobblydeb, Disgusted, Phooby and 3 others like this.
  11. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

Ask Asda to put cones in front of the EV spaces. They do this already at Asda Bishop Auckland. EV drivers just move them out the way and put them back when done.

KJB and Neilew like this.
  12. Starmonkey

Starmonkey Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    Not only ICE I'm afraid.

Here's a LEAF driver blocking an EV bay at Meadowhall tonight and not even plugged in!

Why do these people behave so selfishly?

Shame on you BN65 YHT.

Attached Files:

13. rikdud

rikdud Active Member

EV:
    , Nissan LEAF
    Unfortunately it does seem that more & more people just don't think about anyone else, I always leave my number in the car so I can be contacted & never leave the car longer than needed so as to free the charger up for whoever might need it next... It only requires a little bit of thought but those of us who do consider others are becoming a dieing breed I'm afraid :unsure:
    R..

Mike Schooling likes this.
  14. Connor Milligan

Connor Milligan New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF, Renault ZOE
    Out of curiosity, where is this shared EV / Car Club bay?

15. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Had same issue last year at Bicester with an i3. Beggers belief that EV drivers can stab each other in the back...

Phooby likes this.
  16. BigClick

BigClick New Member

Could it be some EV owners literally believe they are the only one for miles around?

It might be more a case of ignorance rather than shellfishness

17. Firemin

Firemin Active Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Tesla Model S
    OP is from Kent so could be the ones outside Maidstone town hall? There are free 4 x 22kW CYCs - according to the CYC website two are for the car club (which seem to run Amperas) and two are for public use. All four are signed "Car club only" but I have charged there several times without issue. You get 4 hours free parking thrown in as well, and its only a 2-3 min walk to the high street.

18. James_leeds

James_leeds Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Possibly this leaf has been on the rapid and the zoe unplugged him?

19. Disgusted

Disgusted Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Agree about ASDA and recently sent a letter of complaint regarding the issue.

The Tunbridge Wells store has two charging bays which are not right outside and they are never blocked, so I think this proves what others have suggested. Unfortunately for us it's so close you would never need to charge anyway.

I think it helps if people can see that the charging bays are used. One can see how it is tempting to use a space reserved for charging if it is never used. I have plugged in before even though I have enough power to get home just to prove that electric cars do exist (this also means a review can be left on Zap Map to confirm the charger is working). However, if this is stopping somebody else from charging I'm not much better than an ICE blocking the bay, so I usually leave a mobile number on dashboard and we are on ChargeBump.

20. James_leeds

James_leeds Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Potentially we need to acquire cones and place them ourselves at 7am.

mclarkie likes this.