1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

iMiEV/C-Zero/iOn range

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Robwiz, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    Citroen C-Zero, Nissan LEAF
    I always leave the gauge on miles remaining and don't have a clue how far each charge takes the car. Today, after a full charge it showed 74 miles remaining (not bad for 8º outside).

Setting off, I flipped through to the odometer, made a note of the mileage then went back to RR. I did a 9 mile round trip to the supermarket and it showed 68 miles remaining on my return. I got there using 9 miles of range and came back using -3 (it's a hilly route, on the edge of the Chilterns).

I'm looking forward to discovering what my car's actual range is.

Mark Cornwall and Lee Dalton like this.
  2. Eunicholas

Eunicholas Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault ZOE
    That's sounds really good

3. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    Yes, I was surprised and pleased with this. I'd assumed that when the RR said 80 (which it does in summer, best of 89 on 7 August!) it was exaggerating slightly and I'd need to recharge after about 60. But having never checked the odometer I don't really know how far the car is travelling between charges. I'll find out in the next few days though and share it here.

John2, Mark Cornwall and Lee Dalton like this.
  4. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Peugeot iOn
    It will be interesting to see your findings on range. We currently get 65 miles in our ion if driven carefully which I think bodes well for the summer months. Anybody got any figures they achieve in a imeiv/czero or ion in summer?

5. stuart

stuart Active Member

Our car C Zero, fully charged today low 80s. Cant explain why so high as our driving has been erratic almost all town driving. Maybe of interest used the full charge today low 80s depleted to 11 miles after 46 miles carrying myself wife and child using heating and not really caring about range. In reflection to Marks interest summer range, regularly see 90s we dont drive car hard covered 30k when shall we start losing bars. In my opion as all EV drivers no the heating system is not the best but maybe a safety issue inflated tyres to their max 40psi over time of ownership it makes a hell of difference i realise this is common knowledge. But does increasing pressure have a greater impact on car range 400kg less in weight compared to the leaf for town driving? Also the footprint the Leaf is making concerning tyre width, thiner tyres and all that.

6. Nero

Nero Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    I'm getting ~70 in the town (real miles; PR guessing at ~80) now, with light foot, no heat (aftermarket heated seats works good) and the fan is 2nd "click" to avoid windscreen fogging.
    On summer I'm getting ~90 town/city, 60 on motorways (never had turtle yet and stopping to charge if possible as soon as 2 bars on battery gauge left)
    I'm inflating tyres to 40psi when going somewhere far, on motorways. Before I was setting back to 36 as soon as I was coming back home, now I became lazy and keeping 40 all the time:D

Lee Dalton, Mark Cornwall and Robwiz like this.
  7. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    After doing several local trips to friends, family and the shops I've put the C-Zero on charge. The odo shows it's done 54 miles with 7 miles range remaining. That's with occasional short bursts of heat to clear the screen over the past few very cold days.

8. stuart

stuart Active Member

Read post concerning EVs a while ago. Treat them as yourself. Presently EV sat on driveway freezing ice bodywork. does it do harm to battery? In relation to battery longevity? Car similar to humans do not like extremes, why not place within temperate climate? Question of cost of installation? To provide main energy to your property?

9. Mark Cornwall

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Peugeot iOn
    Thanks Robwiz very similar range for us at present 65 to 70 per charge this month being careful.roughly 70% town 30% A roads and duel carriageway 50 to 55mph max. Last couple of days town only those figures are probably 5 miles lower as its been colder. We are away til february now so dont know what it would drop too. Expect January would be 55ish to a charge at best.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Lee Dalton likes this.
  10. Nero

Nero Active Member

EV:
    Nissan e-NV200
    @stuart it does not affect battery health if it's li-ion technology. It does affect lead batteries. If you have any older phone or ie camera which is not in use at the moment, but you're planning to use after for a while, then the best is to keep your li-ion batteries in the freezer. It stops the ageing process (or at least it's ageing slows down dramatically), li-ion batteries loosing it's capacity even if they are not in use.
    I do believe EV batteries works similar. I'm not an expert in battery tech, but was reading a lot about it few years ago and my knowledge might be outdated because of how fast li-ion battery tech evolves.

11. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

The UK and Ireland is almost perfect weather for electric vehicles.

Extreme cold like in Canada isn't great for the batteries. I believe that some vehicles have an internal battery heater for when the temperature falls below -35c or so. And then there's the well reported issues with electric cars sitting in extreme heat in Arizona which prematurely kills the battery.

Seriously, the hot days we get here at 32c is nothing compared to the 40/45c there and the -10c in winter here is nothing compared to -40c in Canada. Lots of rain doesn't affect electric cars that much - unless it floods :(

12. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    Latest update since the last charge. 59 miles covered and GOM showing 4 miles remaining when I put her on charge.

I think that's quite encouraging given how cold it has been over the past week.

Lee Dalton and Mark Cornwall like this.
  13. Mark Cornwall

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Peugeot iOn
    Good figures Robwiz in current temperatures.

Lee Dalton likes this.
  14. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    66 miles covered and GOM showing --- remaining! :)

Lee Dalton likes this.
  15. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    61 miles driven and GOM showed 11 miles remaining when put on charge last night. RR of 73 miles this morning.

Mark Cornwall likes this.
  16. Mark Cornwall

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Peugeot iOn
    Good figures again thanks Robwiz

Robwiz likes this.
  17. Brooktop

Brooktop Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Nissan LEAF
    As I do basically the same journey every day, it's amazing how range is directly related to air temp. Roll on spring....so I can get back to 48 miles a charge instead of 34-38.

In summer I guess you get circa 80 @Robwiz . My mum likes the look of the car so I may be able to persuade her to get a used one when she next changes her car.

Lee Dalton and Robwiz like this.
  18. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    I have no idea what our actual mileage is in the summer, which is why I decided to start this thread. I had always assumed that the guessometer was a bit optimistic but I'm discovering that it's a fairly accurate for our usage (rural journeys at between 30 mph and 50 mph). In summer the GOM when full was always above 80 between May and October, with a record 88.

Anecdotally the iMiEV and its clones have been dismissed for having less range than the LEAF but I'm finding ours is doing pretty well.

19. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    On charge again tonight, 56 miles and --- range remaining. In mitigation, it wasn't me driving since the last charge and she made several round trips into the Chilterns and on the M40 at higher speeds than usual.

20. Mark Cornwall

EV:
    Kia Soul EV, Peugeot iOn
    It seems the range of a 2011 leaf and an ion/czero/imiev are pretty similar. Being as the 2011 leafs are probably down somewhat on battery capacity. Especially as 2011 leafs have generally covered more miles.

Tin helmet on

Robwiz likes this.