1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

iMiEV FBH

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Thermostat9, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

Interesting series of films about installing a fuel burning heater in an iMiEV.

Looks eminently doable and the kit is not that hard to find.

Perhaps that makes a used iMiEV worth a bit more consideration.....?

2. PHunter

PHunter Atilla

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    If there was a kit for a REX that would be more useful! (Maybe it would be easier to increase an Ampera battery to 30kWh?)

Lee Dalton likes this.
  3. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

How fatuous is that comment meant to be? (n)

4. PHunter

PHunter Atilla

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Not at all. I think the Ampera is very cool (let down by GM, they have form there), and my 'perfect' EV would be Ampera format with about 30kWh,(120 mile EV range?) plus a gas tank that would give it 300 miles or so by powering a 15kW ICE generator. I don't like the "9 litre tank" REX idea, though I understand the logic, and I don't think more than a 15kW ICE is necessary to maintain running. (Ampera=55kW ICE, i3=25kW ICE). The Ampera is closer to 'right' (spec/value etc) for many user profiles than any other EV. But I just read that GM have announced the Bolt will be sold as the next LHD Ampera with 60kWh, so maybe that's what you meant - I didn't know about it yesterday. That could change the market, if they (a) price it right and (b) do some marketing and (c) build it in proper mass production.

Meanwhile, still plotting to buy an iMiev to join the Soul. Does it need a better heater?

5. Thermostat9

Thermostat9 Non Member

I really don't care what you think about an Ampera. It literally has nothing to do with this topic.

I suspect that depends how far you want (or need) to go in cold weather as well as your predilication to warmth while doing it.

6. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van Z.E
    I know this is an old thread, but this looks kinda cool. I've heard the I miev heater isn't the best and it eats into range a lot. This is one way around it.

7. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

Isn't it cheaper to just buy an alternative car with a better heater? The costs involved to have what would be a bit of a bodge wouldn't be worth it. Then try convincing your insurer....

8. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Big jump between an imiev for £5k and a Leaf Acenta for £9k

Dblock likes this.
  9. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

I dunno. There's the battery lease models from Renault or Nissan that can be had for £5k now, though yes there is the persky lease payments to remember.

10. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    I just ignore the flex models completely.

Dblock and MoonCat like this.
  11. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van Z.E
    Why is it a bodge? Your just adding a heating system to the I-Miev. From what I understand they kept the oil style water heating system from the ICE model rather than having an air system or like the newer electric cars a heat pump style.

12. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van Z.E
    Also I-Mievs can be had even cheaper if your thrifty. Uk models not just imports.