1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the I-Miev for me?

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Dblock, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van ZE
    Hi guys,

So I currently drive a gen 2 leaf which goes back in a few months time. It's been a decent car.

So when it goes I have a few cars in mind. 1 is the Auris HSD/ gen 2 prius as it's a hybrid so range issues are non existent but running costs while lower than a normal ice are still higher than an BEV.

Gen 1 Leaf. Nice cars but JDM part prices like the parking brake issue turn me off unless they are significantly cheaper to fix.

I-Miev/C-zero/Ion. They can be had even cheaper than Gen 1 leafs and seem to be very reliable. But will the battery last me my days commute? I travel to work it's about 16 miles. A large portion of that is 70mph. In my gen 2 leaf it will take me between 25-35% depending on weather etc etc. Then I charge at work. 17-18 miles home which is another 25-35%. I charge at work due to me living in a flat and having no where to charge. So my car is always 100% when I'm finished work. But I can't charge again until the next day. So with 100% would it get me home and to work again without being charged call it 40miles with a lot being done on 70mph zone? With my leaf it can do this no problem and get me home and back to work with 40-50% battery left.

Although in the winter with winter tyres this would drop to about 30% left. But the leaf is a bigger, heavier and more powerful car with bigger tyres.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

The i-miev should give you around 60-70 miles in summer and 50 in winter real world. In summer you should be fine but in winter you would prob want to drop to around 60mph speed to give yourself leeway. dropping speed makes a serious real world difference as the energy needed for speed increases exponentially. I think the i-miev would meet your needs, you'd just need to be more aware of your driving style in winter.

on the plus side, having done some reading around, the consensus seems to be that the i-miev is simple, reliable and cheap to run, and the battery is very tough

Andy Parr likes this.
  3. BenM

BenM New Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    I have an I-MIEV. I can't see it being an issue. Even in the middle of winter with the heater on you would get 40-45 miles in free flowing traffic, if there is a bit of traffic it would extend that range. If you find the range insufficient, then just use the seat heater and wear a warm coat.

4. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Seem much more robust and reliable than they look. Ours is 5 years old next month (ion) and will be out of warranty then and couldnt care less. Battery and car are in excellent condition. Battery is still good for 55 miles winter and 65 summer with a little to spare. Go for it.

GregH likes this.
  5. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    @Dblock your commute I would have thought quite comfortable in a gen 1 Leaf even with one bar lost like mine.
    Since new it has had two front tyres at 35k, then all four at 65k. new wiper blades this year and a steering ball-joint on one side and that's it in 71k miles.
    The gen 1 models only have the light interior, less space in the boot but have some aluminium panels and the electric handbrake. And of course the standard heater but still a great car compared to most stuff out there for nicely under £10k.
    BTW not trying to sell you mine.

6. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Miev sounds like a good idea for this use case and some fab prices around.

Owners - do they have mechanical handbrake? IMO stuff like electric handbrakes, digital dash, integrated stereo, etc are things to avoid as cars get older. The latter two it clearly doesn't have...

7. misterbleepy

misterbleepy Active Member

EV:
    Peogeot iOn
    Handbrake is a conventional floor mounted lever with a release button on the end. Dash is digital in that the speed is indicated by 2 big LCD numbers - nice and clear.

8. John419

John419 Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    Yes, cable to the drum brakes. Digital dashboard, but less sophisticated than other EVs, something I don't mind.

9. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    As a used purchase these EVs are as basic and simple an EV as you can get. They didnt even bother with a clock. They could have gone a little further by giving it wind up windows. Would still have bought it.

10. Dblock

Dblock Active Member

EV:
    Renault Kangoo Van ZE
    The the problem with the gen 1's though. The handbrake goes and it's a 2 grand job. I'm going to test drive some and thanks for the info. Although prices seem to be all over the place.