1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Imiev worth it?

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Eunicholas, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Eunicholas

Eunicholas Well-Known Member

when my car goes back I have seen imiev for a little as 5k with almost no miles on them is it worth buying

2. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

Definte 'worth'.

I believe the really cheap i-mievs are JDM spec (hence the small number plates) and may be problematic obtaining insurance and spares. You can get many of the clones that are newer, lower miles and around £6k.

Or you could get a second hand Zoe for not much more than that, though you have the battery lease. Could you not make an offer on your car before it goes back?

3. Eunicholas

I don't like the Zoe it's has broken down over 24 tires

4. Eunicholas

5. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    Citroen C Zero, Nissan LEAF 24
    As a C-Zero owner I'd say definitely worth it. Mine has been great (since October 2013) – no issues with it at all. In the current warm weather the GOM tells me my range is 85 miles when fully charged and if I drive with a light right foot I get very close to that.

The only downside of the car is that in winter, if you use the heater with a heavy right foot your range is limited – but I have still got around 70 miles on the coldest days.

The car in the Autotrader link looks like a UK car to me because the rear number plate is standard UK shape and size.

6. misterbleepy

misterbleepy Active Member

EV:
    Peogeot iOn
    We've been happy with our Peugeot iOn since April 2013 - been 100% trouble free so far (touches wood) - so another yes from here.
    That one in the advert has nice wheels and a fancy looking stereo too.

7. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I was very tempted but the winter range fear was too powerful. Properly heated, I suspected that it would not even make my 50 mile commute, let alone the occasional longer trip. I traded in the diesel precisely because it warmed up so slowly.

Depends on your miles, but I would go for one if I felt I was 'safe' on range.

8. Lee Dalton

Lee Dalton Well-Known Member

I was tempted to swap my Ampera for an iMiev or Ion when I changed jobs and suddenly had a 76 miles round trip commute, that didn't look like I would be able to charge whilst at work.
    My concern was the winter range, as 76 miles of dual carriageway with no Rapids anywhere near me, seemed to be asking a lot of it.....
    As it happened, I found a way to charge at work, so didn't need to worry in the end.
    But as a car, they seem to be really good value, as long as the size isn't an issue for you.

9. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I found the range to be pretty poor (50 miles was about all I got from a full charge), as a frame of reference I got my Leaf to travel only 63 miles between 100% and dead at the side of the M42 this week. I also think it feels a bit cheap and flimsy, the doors are very light, thin and tinny sounding, the instruments are very basic and the seats not all that comfortable. The tall skinny shape of the car is good in town, feels quite nimble, but didn't inspire confidence on the open road, it gets pushed around by the wind a bit.

Lee Dalton likes this.
  10. MoonCat

That's a bit harsh Edd. It is what it is. It's not a motorway cruiser and for a cheap introduction to EVing with a limited budget it can't be beat. What else is available to own outright without a battery lease at £6k? Not a lot. Sure there are PCPs out there, but they're not for everyone and there are some threads on here about horror stories when it comes to hand them back.

If the OP is aware of the limitations of the i-miev and clones and it suits their budget, I think it's a hard car to beat. They were over £30k new and if negotiated hard, I bet he could get them into mid £5k.

Andy Parr likes this.
  11. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Just trying to be honest, for me the only good thing about the imiev and clones is the drivetrain. Yes, it's cheap, but it is cheap for a reason! If you're coming from a Zoe into an imiev I think you'd be disappointed if you were expecting the car to be of the same quality.

12. Eunicholas

i think its a nice little car there are rapid chargers all over the place with 20k of ev miles under my belt i would say i have a good understanding of with it would do, i would not take it to Devon like i have in the zoe 2 times,280 miles each way with 3 20min stop the zoe dose it, yesterday i did 65mph all motorway for 78 miles and the zoe still had 15miles still left. for 5k a good little school car i think it will be fine and if i go to my gf place witch is 76miles i can aways have a quick charge half way and charge when i get there.The zoe has gone wrong 25 times and its lost 10% of its battery life i willl not go in to it, but i think i will like a little imiev when the zoe gose back

Andy Parr likes this.
  13. MoonCat

Isn't the HV battery of the imiev meant to be pretty solid and reliable?

14. Eunicholas

i know they are not close in anyway on range or build but i have found that the build for the zoe is very bad over all, let put it this way in my car the dashboard came away from the inside of the cabin and land on my hand so if the imive dose not do that its a winner

Andy Parr and Lee Dalton like this.
  15. Robwiz

Robwiz Moderator

EV:
    Citroen C Zero, Nissan LEAF 24
    Yes. It's conservatively designed to protect the battery. I'm aware of two traction batteries being replaced on US iMievs.

16. Kuelap

Kuelap Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV, Tesla Model S
    Definitely worth it. I have had one for nearly 3 years. The more I drive it the more I realise it can do.
    It has such a small footprint you can park it in tiny spaces, and it is so narrow you can squeeze past other cars and beat queues. It's turning circle is also great. The interior space is much better than you think, 4 adults are comfortable and with the seats down in the back you can shift a lot of stuff. It has Chademo, and if they ever sort out the electric highway, it will be capable and comfortable to use for medium distance trips. Acceleration around town 10-30mph is really good. Nothing has gone wrong, build quality seems very good. It looks quirky (not butt ugly like a Leaf!).

Cons are range, doors are thin and tinny, and it is not good going round corners at speed! But other than that I love it.

Martin W, Andy Parr and MoonCat like this.
  17. Eunicholas

Maybe if you lowered the car it would help a little around corners, like 10mil

18. Bob Murphy

Bob Murphy Active Member

EV:
    Custom Build EV, Mitsubishi i MiEV, , Nissan e NV200,
    Like the Pikes Peak hillclimb one... :)

I'd say they were definitely worth buying as a 2nd car. They're reliable, simple, quick to charge on DC, and good fun to drive.

lowered mitsu.jpg

Martin W and Andy Parr like this.
  19. stuart

stuart Non Member

We have both ion and czero. Out of curiosity has any one timed the 0-60 of these cars. seen on youtube 15ish seconds? For range charging to max for both at this time of year never getting below 80, but havent reached 98 on display.

20. Andy Parr

Andy Parr Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    I'll try but no roads round here enable a legal 0 to 60 on the level.

It drove me spare when researching for the car.....lazy journos quoting all sorts of stupidly slow 0-60 times when in real life the cars are very quick to respond.

It's the best car we've had....and we've had loads. Our other vehicle...a bmw x3 is great but not as nimble or cheeky. The czero replaced a written off fiat panda diesel, and is similar in its pocket rocket,agile and thrifty character.

Yes...I'd like the car to have more range but we get as far with a 16kwh battery as a leaf does with a 24kwh one.....so that's nearly 90p a charge cheaper. And it does.all our local driving, my work commute amd will get us to grandads and just about back on a charge.

Ok...I had two narrow squeaks on wet and slippery roads over the moors to Haworth the other day....but passed a young lad with a corsa, stood on the phone explaining his 'off', his dented vehicle side and smashed rear window to someone.....

I can't recommend it enough.

Robwiz, Thermostat9 and MoonCat like this.