1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Imiev worth it?

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Eunicholas, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Andy Parr

Andy Parr Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    Btw our has nearly 21000 miles.on the clock. What mileages have people done ?

2. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Great little cars. Range is 60 winter, 70 summer driven carefully. I am sure there isn't an EV vehicle (apart from Tesla) that it's owners wouldn't like to have more range. As for size its much bigger inside than it looks thanks to no overhangs front or rear and a high roof. Infact the high roof makes the car seem much narrower from behind. I like plenty of gadgets but these cars have none which as a used purchase makes them very sensible to buy. No fancy screens etc to worry about dying on you.

Andy Parr likes this.
  3. misterbleepy

misterbleepy Active Member

EV:
    Peogeot iOn
    a bit over 16,000 on ours here - re. 0-60, I haven't clocked mine, but it is slightly quicker to 70 than our Berlingo 1.6HDi 90hp, which is allegedly capable of 0-60 in 12.5 seconds

Andy Parr likes this.
  4. Andy Parr

Andy Parr Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    I was also impressed with tyres. At about 15000 miles we had an unrepairable puncture in a rear tyre. Both had plenty of life in them but I found new,original Dunlop Enasave tyres online for 32 quid each. I bought a pair at that price !

One other thing.....they're rear wheel drive so no CV joints at the front. That endows the car with a near taxi-like turning circle........and with a heavy right foot can also light up the rears on wet and slippery roads !

We do the trip to the shops with me, Wifey and two young children in big car seats in the car. There's enough room for a.normal shop too. In short I love.it.

But. .....I can't help thinking there's wasted space under the bonnet. It's a handy crumple zone, but has anyone rigged up anything to store the power brick or a type.2 cable in there ?

Lee Dalton likes this.
  5. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    We've done 52k on our IMiev - it's been totally reliable. Two front tyres are the only expenses, so far - touch wood.

It's a perky car, with plenty of verve.

It's probably the only EV that can give economies that will exceed the purchase price. At £5-7k, that could come up very quickly!

Andy Parr and Lee Dalton like this.
  6. stuart

stuart Non Member

With our CZero wife ran it into ditch, wing both driver passenger door bumper windscreen black undercarriage whatever that contains totally smashed, including headlight and door pillar. Total right off. 8ish grand to fix thank's to speak ev, plus savvy repairer £1700. Back on road. Car run's exactly as new. It's at nearly 30ish thou miles and seems faster than our Ion at 5thou. What interests me how far do these cars on full charge really achieve around town.

Andy Parr and John2 like this.
  7. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    [QUOTE="...What interests me how far do these cars on full charge really achieve around town.[/QUOTE]
    Town miles are not really our driving pattern; however, I imagine that at town speeds, you might get a range of 90+?

Lee Dalton likes this.
  8. John2

John2 Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    My dream driveway would definitely have an iMIev on it alongside a Tesla a Zoe and a Leaf. I had a short test drive and found it great up to around 35mph when the power seemed to fade. I think it may be something to do with Japanese small car regs. Still, I really liked it..

9. stuart

stuart Non Member

To stick neck out, to using no miles heavily desputed colchester to Ipswich no consumption. Wife returns number of weeks later explains used 2 miles. Yes the car is useless dual motorway heating 70mpg winter. But Single carriage moderate temp, 7£ lidle seat heaters, sensible driving. Plus is the czero 500kg lighter than leaf. Which would be more ecologically more efficient.

Andy Parr likes this.
  10. Andy Parr

Andy Parr Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    I find the best is steady 30 ish which I what I can get on my out of hours commute.

Oddly stop start traffic in winter really seems to zap the range. It may have been the combined efforts of the low temp, lights, wipers, near constant running of brake vacuum pump and lack of regen at low speeds but I was surprised how it gobbled the battery one afternoon last winter.

I'm coming up.to 10000 miles and a year of ownership. Every charge has had mileage logged and electrocute used so I'll update my spreadsheet soon and get some figures for costs.

But back of envelope shows saving of 1300 quid compared.to using the old diesel tank.

Not bad for a car that cost us 7.5k.

Plus you get an automatic car thrown into the bargain.

I'm interested in the 52k miles thing....and relieved. That's the highest uk miles travelled that I've heard of.....and stuarts 30k miles is good too.

11. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    Anyone interested in a 2nd hand IMiev may like to be aware that there are approximately 30 of them, with full leather trim - an upmarket Sat Nav (Garmin) + Entertainment system with DVD player and option TV tuner!

I think someone told Mitsu' about the 60s craze for bespoke Minis and thought the could create a 'cult car'. Considering the list price of the IMiev was £32k, I cannot imagine how much these cars could be stripped our (and re-vamped) for anything less than an additional £6K? As far as I know they had no special model name.

My IMiev is one of this rare breed and the charcoal leather seats and dashboard are a great feature. The GPS is excellent - though not, in any way, EV specific. I did once read of a red IMiev, with red leather - it was For Sale, in Ayshire. - but nothing similar has been rumoured, let alone seen!

Has anyone bought (or seen) any of these 'coach-built' iMievs? They might attract a higher price!

Andy Parr likes this.
  12. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I've really no idea what this means. Andy, could you translate, please?

13. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

Stuart Unwin? son of Stanley? That would make more sense. o_O

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  14. Eunicholas

Eunicholas Well-Known Member

@schooling im sure he could put a bigger battery in them

15. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

I've been seriously considering the I-miev as a £5k stater car (I haven't driven for 10 yrs, and the alternative is waiting for the Mahindra e2o, which is too limited on speed and charging) then trade up to something more refined a bit later on (prob. E-up or Leaf), when I've got a better idea of what features/abilities matter most. I've tested a few too and actually been pretty impressed. As a used car it (and the C-zero/I-on) seems great, and expect I'll take the plunge in the new year and grab one.

What I don't get is why Mitsubishi (and PSA) are still selling them without any real updates after 5 years at £28.5k - that is absolutely insane. If we assume a £200/kwh Li-ion production cost, that would make the I-miev battery just over £3k - and I'm skeptical the rest of the car costs anything near £20k! It seems Mitsu want to kill the i-miev and just have it nominally on the model lineup as a compliance vehicle.

It's a shame as with an updated interior and a few efficiency modifications (heat exchanger, LED lighting), it would make a very good entry level EV that should be able to compete well against budget ICE hatchbacks. With the incentive factored in, it should be entirely possible to market a modernised I-miev for under £10k - which would be a real game changer.

16. Mark Cornwall

Mark Cornwall Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Hi Jasmin, Go get yourself an imiev or a clone. One on Autotrader for £5000 at the moment. Ours has been reliable and with care manages 60 odd miles. They aren't the best equipped evs out there but as a used purchase less to go wrong. If your happy with the range you won't find a cheaper entry level EV from 2011\12. Just had ours serviced Moted and had new wiperblades front and rear for £185 today. What more do you need.

Andy Parr likes this.
  17. MoonCat

Not sure where you're getting your figures from @Jasmin as the Mahindra isn't available here and the imiev clones can be had new for much less than the £28,500. The Citroen website indicates the c-zero is available for £11,995 NEW;

Citroën C-Zero | 100% Electric Cars | Citroën UK - Citroën United Kingdom

And the Peugeot Ion is £16,995;

Peugeot iOn | Electric Car Eco Friendly Green and Connected

Only Mitsubishi want the crazy original price of £28,500 and I can't imagine they sell any at that;

i-MiEV Specifications | Mitsubishi i-MiEV | Mitsubishi Motors UK

18. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I wonder how 'new' that really is, but getting one with a bang new warranty still compares very favourably with a now ageing 2011 model for £6k.

~£1k a year in depreciation? I might even be tempted if it could ever suit my needs.

Jeez, you'd scare the crap out of a dealer if you phoned them up and said 'I'll take one!'. :LOL:

Andy Parr likes this.
  19. MoonCat

I was surprised myself. £12k for a 'new' c-zero with the warranty (for what it's worth) is a bargain if ever there was. No battery lease either.

20. misterbleepy

misterbleepy Active Member

EV:
    Peogeot iOn
    The tough question is whether the blue interior of the ion is worth £7k over the brown interior of the c-zero.

Andy Parr and MoonCat like this.