1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Imiev worth it?

Discussion in 'General Mitsubishi EV Discussion' started by Eunicholas, Jul 11, 2015.

1. stuart

stuart Non Member

Sorry if irrelevant. after being in ditch and holding yard brake disks corroded. Abs constanty on. Advised press brake whilst driving, made no difference after few hundred miles. Outcome parts from Peugeot mitsubuishi citroen £500 ish ebay same parts £99 same manufacturer. These car's are a bargain. Plus still getting around town eighty plus miles. How many Leafs can claim parts from ten years ago at a bargain prics. Has anyone noticed the electronic swtches display etc on the outlander and cero etc comparison.

2. Andy Parr

Andy Parr Active Member

EV:
    Citroen C Zero
    I had problems with brakes akin to emergency brake assist coming one when coming to a halt.

Seems to have been due to the vacuum.pump failure. ...all sorted after recall work.

Ryan Noble likes this.
  3. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

Wow, I didn't know there was that sort of price difference between the different brands. That's nuts, considering it's the same car. Actually kinda like the Citroen interior, the colour is fairly understated and breaks up the "sea of plastic" a bit. If I was planning on keeping the car for longer, I'd actually consider taking Citroen up on that deal - for a new car with no battery lease, it's a steal.

How come "new" over new, though? I thought Mitsu was still building them - or are they just exhausting the existing inventory?

donald likes this.
  4. stuart

stuart Non Member

Brack pads disks same manfacturer as citroen supllies. Same spec. Citroen installed no issue or waranty. With Imiev same issue brake disk's corrididing, again needeing replacement. So spec of car harhdly needing use of brakes regerative problem continues. But still they kept achieving max range.

5. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    As far as I know Mitsubishi stopped supplying Citroen / Peugot in 2012 (maybe even earlier). I also understood that there was always a set production run and Peugeot /Citroen had to take them into stock. So there were significant numbers of unsold cars. Peugeot was certainly selling new, 2012 stock, in 2014 + a number of ex-lease iOns - I tried to buy one with 100 miles on the click for £7K!

I really don't think Mitsubushi UK have any old-stock iMievs and I doubt that they can supply anything against the £27K price tag. Mitsubishi US are however promising a 2016 IMiev for about $16k - after state/ Federal Discounts. However, I'm sure it's all 'hogs wash' - just a 'compliance car'. Mitsubushi US is frankly in a 'dark hole' and the IMiev is will do its reputation no good at all!

All said - these 'end-of-line' iMievs are potentially great bargains. My IMiev (53K miles) has proven to be bullet-proof - just 2 tyres, a wiper blade and a brake servo on a recall, is all that has been changed.

The duration of any warranty should be verified and if the battery warranty is proposed for to be short (backdated to 2011/12) - do ensure that there is transparency of the battery diagnostics. It's just possible that some of these cars have not had a regular charging regime.

6. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

@OBrian - Thanks for that. Will probably be looking for something come the spring and will bear that in mind.

7. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    The spec of the Citroen says "manufactured after 1 Oct 2015" so by law they must surely be making them new?

8. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    I seriously doubt that there is a C-Zero 2015 model - though my local Citroen Dealer insisted in reviewing the options and suggested I contact Citroen, in M/Keynes, for a test drive! I'm half tempted to research further; however, it wouldn't be fair on the Salesman - I would not be able to contain my mirth!

Coincidentally, I today me a young guy with a smart, black, 2011 Peugeot Ion. It apparently had done 20k miles and looked in 'mint' condition - it cost just £ 5,000!

Frankly, I think potential IMiev/ iOn / C-Zero purchased should haggle for low mileage examples in price range if £5000 - £7000. At that price level it's a win-win situation and the cost savings will rapidly make the financial / mechanical risk seem trivial. I'm fairly certain there are a significant number of these cars that can be expected to come to the market, with absurdly low mileages!

For anyone considering entering into EV ownership (or buying a car for son daughter?) - this a great investment. Money back on a car purchase - this a bargain that just 'beggars belief'!

9. PHunter

PHunter Atilla

EV:
    Kia Optima PHEV, Kia Soul EV
    donald likes this.
  10. MoonCat

MoonCat Well-Known Member

11. PHunter

PHunter Atilla

EV:
    Kia Optima PHEV, Kia Soul EV
    I'd like to know if they can supply. It is a bargain, I'd be tempted, maybe because it isn't a real Citroen(!) - (Is it??) Not in the market myself though.

12. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    Very confusing, Citroen price from £11,995, then you press configure and it ups to £16,995 OTR, very odd.

13. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    The possibility of a new generation car to the same specification of one that that conspicuously failed failed 3 years ago - just beggars belief.

The price is ludicrously low too - where is the profit for the manufacturer, distributor, main dealer and broker - in a cash price of £8289?

Citroen are building a brand the current line-up is commendable for style, technology and price. An all electric C-3 or Picasso would be 'inspired' - but the IMiev just doesn't fit?

There's an old sating that starts - " If something seems too goo to be true, then ........" Buyer beware!

14. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I would say it is a profit of £8289 over writing it off as being impossible to sell.

15. Edd Beesley

Edd Beesley Moderator

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Jasmin and MoonCat like this.
  16. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    Yes and no. Citroen could consider re-cycling the car - the batteries alone must be worth £5000. On the other hand if Citroen were to sell the car there is a huge warranty obligation? If these batteries were to fail during the 8-year guarantee - then the cost of replacement (labour and parts) could cost 2/3 of the selling price?

ThIs deal does not stack up at any level - IMHO.

17. markweatherill

markweatherill Well-Known Member

I wonder what Peugeot / Citroen paid Mitsubishi for the cars in the first place.

Selling them does give the dealers a chance of some regular servicing income.

18. OBrian

OBrian Non Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi i MiEV
    A Mitsu service in £149 - per year. It's hardly worth the effort at that price and there isn't even a chance to make extra on oils, filters, plugs and brakes etc!

It's a particularly good car for those who want to reduce motoring costs to a low, low level. With 53K miles already, I'm well on my way to recovering the purchase price. Had I bought at around £8k - the champagne would already be 'on ice'!

Andy Parr and Four Star like this.
  19. osbrook

osbrook Well-Known Member

EV:
    Renault Twizy
  20. Jasmin

Jasmin Active Member

Looking at reviews online, Buyacar sometimes have extremely long delivery times (i.e. 3-6 months). I'm guessing they don't actually have any inventory of unusual/less in demand models, and wait for a deposit to come in then run through their contacts list to try and get hold of one. They probably aren't even aware the car maybe/probably is out of production.

MoonCat likes this.