1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping zoe 12 volt battery charged

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Brian101, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

If you are not using your Zoe much and getting the check electrical system warning
    Try this
    In the car select a charge time that has passed ie sat in car at 11am set 10-30am you should now plug in the car the charger should get the green light on and and the dash should show clock pluged in symbol .
    From my experience While in this postion the 12 volt battery will charge .
    The traction battery will not charge no mater how many times you plug in plug out until you select charge .
    I originaly used this method so i could leave the car permantly plugged in with out charging the traction battery to use the app for preconditioning. But now believe it charges the 12 volt battery after getting the check electrical system warning when not leaving plugged in even getting the red warning that only let me do 19mph .since leaving plugged in no problems

cah197 likes this.
  2. Kentish

Kentish Well-Known Member

What makes you think the 12v is charging ?
    Many people have said that having it plugged in but not charging actually depletes the 12v.

3. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

Battery was reading low 13s before plugged in 14.31 next day
    And i did this all last winter no problems
    Did not plug it in this winter kept getting check electrical system .do a few miles get rid of warning only for it to reapear next morning did this a few times then reverted to plug in method no problems since .
    Any feed back welcome even if it proves what i say is rubblsh

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

surely you just need to get the meter out and look at the battery voltage... If its being charged its going to be above 13v, probably 14.4 or thereabouts. If its in the 12v range, its not being charged.

A fully charged lead acid will sit in the mid-high 12v range. Though sometimes, if the battery has recently been charged (ie you've been driving), it will sit above that for a short time and slowly fall back down to the high 12v range.

5. Kentish

Since mine failed I have one of those voltmeters you can leave permanently plugged in the fag lighter but it's not been an issue since.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

and what does that voltmeter say when plugged in and not charging :p

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

and what does that voltmeter say when plugged in and not charging :p

8. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

I use a fluke 29
    But only bother when i had a problem

9. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

It read the same 14.31 v when i took the reading but the car had been left plugged in for more than 24hrs so when the reading was taken it may have been the floating voltage fully charged . Only no it had risen so has charged at some point . And had no problems last winter or since.
    Just saying if anyone is having problems worth a try .

10. Kentish

I did think to check that but OP had particular proceedure and I am fairly sure my charge scheduler no longer works since my ZE services subscription expired.

And I can't be arsed to try.:p
    @yoh-there might know for sure of course

11. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

@yoh-there another new and interesting hack?
    Be interesting to see if the 400v battery held the same charge after that period plugged in and not charging, or if the 400v had dropped a fraction correspondingly.

If you had a iCarsoft i907 you could check the 12v status and the 12v charger status while testing your theory. Where are you based?

12. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

Hi sandy
    getting to technical for me .
    use to like to know how everything worked but now only mess when i have problems .
    Based north cheshire nr m6 j22

13. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

I only suggested the iCarsoft i907 as I managed to pick one up (fairly reasonably priced) the other day. It literally shows you 100's of parameters for the Zoe... including 400v parameters, 12v parameters, a 14v set of parameters (not dug into what that is) and even the key fob battery parameters.

14. yoh-there

yoh-there Co-author of CanZE. Q210

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    12V voltage is available in CanZE, technical charging screen (just sayin' :whistle: )

Next release it will show close to EVERYTHING the car has in dump files (those are big, some ECU's have more than 1000 parameters)

For the winter problem, I should dig into Coulomb counting (which is said to be +99% efficient), but efficient is not the same as the BMS allowing the same amount of Ah's the flow in. To say it in a popular way.......

It's complicated :)

Sandy likes this.
  15. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

Hi @yoh-there
    Have seen the great stuff you have done with canZE but as i have no android devices have not used it .

yoh-there likes this.
  16. yoh-there

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    I know this is probably blasphemy but erm, maybe you want to get one? Together with a dongle it is cheaper than an i907 and there is a lot in the pipeline in terms of diagnostics. And maybe even (hush hush) MQTT :eek:

There is a test version for iOS but it is a separate development path and the "real" team (if you can name it that way in an open source project) is not involved. Google is your friend. We truly admire the guy doing it.

Mo1 likes this.
  17. Mo1

Mo1 Well-Known Member

Hi again Brian,
    I highly recommend buying even a cheap android device and OBD2 dongle and downloading the CanZE app already has a lot of great info and looks like its about to get even better (y)

yoh-there likes this.
  18. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

Once got an android phone hated it so returned it .
    But may bite the bullet and get a cheap android device and dongle just for canZE .
    As what ive seen is great .which i had a brain to do things like that .but forgetting more than i learn these days .

yoh-there likes this.
  19. yoh-there

EV:
    Renault Zoe Q210
    No worries. I feel your pain. I am, erm, middle aged? Maybe that is self-flattering :whistle:

20. Sandy

Sandy Zoe Devotee

CanZE is definitely the way to go.... Looking forward to an influx of new data to look at. :)

The price of a cheap Android phone should not be a blocker, you can get a sim free handset brand new for barely twice the price of the Konwei dongle you'll also need.

yoh-there likes this.
  21. Brian101

Brian101 New Member

Hi sandy
    Think i will get a cheap tablet what version of android is needed