1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Kia Niro drivers

Discussion in 'General Kia EV Discussion' started by Todor, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Hi,

I had a test drive in a Kia Niro on Sat. And since this is my first ever drive in a regular hybrid, I was wondering if there are any Niro drivers around, who are able to answer a couple of questions.

First off, what is the real world mileage that you are getting, driving in town?
    And second, what is the deal with the battery? What kind of control do you get over when to use EV and ICE?

Thanks,
    Todor

2. Miles Roberts

Miles Roberts Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Nissan e NV200
    Hi @Todor,
    I've driven the Niro a bit, and found that my mpg was varying from around 56mpg to 80mpg, depending on my route. As with most hybrids, driving on the motorway is less forgiving than a slower urban route.
    You don't really get any control over when to use EV or ICE, as the battery is so small, it tends to use the electric motor instead of 1st/2nd gear, and then start the engine for faster driving, but the engine can stop and start as is necessary if the battery gets low on charge.

I'm hoping I can get back into the Niro for a few days to take it on a bit more of a journey and see how it gets on, and then report back on my blog - www.myelectrickia.com .

I'll also be driving the new Optima PHEV and comparing the two cars.

3. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    @Miles Roberts Thanks Miles, mine was a very short drive, but I got the similar impression, there wasn't a fixed speed that it used to switch between the EV and ICE.

The Optima looks nice, but I have the feeling that it is too expensive for me.

4. Miles Roberts

Miles Roberts Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Nissan e NV200