1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Kia Optima PHEV

Discussion in 'General Kia EV Discussion' started by Miles Roberts, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Miles Roberts

Miles Roberts Well-Known Member

EV:
    Hyundai Ioniq BEV, Kia Optima PHEV, Nissan e NV200, Nissan LEAF 24, Nissan LEAF 30
    Ok, so I borrowed the Optima PHEV this weekend, and drove about 400 miles in total. A mixture of motorways, rural roads, and some town driving. Here are my observations:

1) It's a very spacious, capable, comfortable executive car in its own right.
    2) It looks great (subjective, I know, but it has been complimented more times in one weekend than the LEAF has in 2 years).
    3) The 33 mile electric range is fairly achievable. I got 31 miles, which ain't bad (I was keeping up with traffic, not crawling around town).
    4) If you stick to speed limits, you will be rewarded with good mpg.
    5) If you absolutely rag the **** off it, and don't plug it in, you'll still get 36mpg worst case scenario (the sales manager wanted to test out the performance, but hadn't charged it first)
    6) For my 400 miles, I used £20 of unleaded, and charged it 5 times (overnight at my house on Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and at work on Friday afternoon and Monday morning). Total cost = £25 ish. Works out as ~6p per mile.
    7) I wish they did a fully electric version.
    8) Electric memory seats which automatically retract to give more space for getting in and out of the car is very cool
    9) How does Kia make this big saloon the same RRP as the LEAF Tekna 30kWh...? Sure, bigger battery on the LEAF costs more, but this car feels much more premium, and it has an engine and auto box which aren't cheap.

Overall, I'd have one.

adrian, Thermostat9, Jon72 and 5 others like this.
  2. Miles Roberts

EV:
    Hyundai Ioniq BEV, Kia Optima PHEV, Nissan e NV200, Nissan LEAF 24, Nissan LEAF 30
  3. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Can't beat a quality seat. It's what let's down a lot of cars these days.

How much bigger than the soul is the Optima? Does it have proper rapid charging and 6.6 kw AC or just one?

Nissan are in dreamland. They want £150k for the latest GTR.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. flipper

flipper Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    I really like the look of the Optima, and am seriously considering the PHEV - subject to being able to find a sensible deal, of course...

5. Miles Roberts

EV:
    The Optima just has 3.3kW slow charging. It comes with a Type2 lead, and a 3-pin granny lead.

In terms of size, it is a much bigger car externally than the soul. It is a Mondeo/Passat sized saloon, rather than a compact hatchback. I'll dig out the stats tomorrow when I'm back at work.

srichards likes this.
  6. Miles Roberts

EV:
    I'm waiting for the offer details to be sent through. Once I know what we can do, the forum shall be notified! :-D

7. Miles Roberts

EV:
    Exterior Dimensions comparison Optima PHEV vs Soul EV:

Length: 4854mm vs 4140mm
    Width: 1859mm vs 1800mm
    Height: 1461mm vs 1593mm
    Wheelbase: 2804mm vs 2570mm

8. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Like all recent Kias and more recently even Hyundais, design supervised by Peter Schreyer, ex design boss at Audi.

9. Tim Ostler

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Clearly the main competition here is the Passat GTE. How do the prices compare?

gladini likes this.
  10. flipper

flipper Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    Too close for comfort, I fear.
    Though I reckon a Kia dealer would probably be much more keen to negotiate than a VW dealer (especially if you made it clear that's what they were up against...).

11. Jonathan Oates

Jonathan Oates EV car-less

Any likelihood of an estate version?

Thermostat9 likes this.
  12. Tim Ostler

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    Not the Kia I think, but definitely the Passat.

David Tebbett likes this.
  13. Miles Roberts

EV:
    The Passat GTE saloon has an RRP of £35,870 before the government grant. The Optima PHEV has an RRP of £33,995 before the government grant.

So the Optima is £1875 cheaper at list prices.

However, Kia are currently offering £1,000 off list, just for having a test drive. So that brings the Optima PHEV down to £30,495 after the PiCG. The VW would be £33,370 after PiCG (£2,875 more than the Optima).

Kia are suggesting that the Optima Sportwagon will be available as a PHEV next year, together with the Niro PHEV...

Jonathan Oates and happy_red like this.
  14. happy_red

happy_red Active Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Would seriously consider one of these in a year when my Ampera PCP contract comes to an end. Not the same range as the superb Ampera but enough to tide me over until full electrics come with realistic 200 mile range and are readily available.
    And I live near Chorley so should qualify for an extra discount ;)

15. Miles Roberts

EV:
    How long until your Ampera needs to be handed back?
    Of course I'll give you the "locals only" discount! ;) Our Kia dealership is in Blackpool (near the Airport), so not far to travel from Preston.
    I always liked the Ampera. Shame that Vauxhall didn't bring it to market properly.

happy_red likes this.
  16. Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker Member

The general view in the motoring press seems to be that the Optima isn't particularly good to drive. Having driven it for a couple of days, is that a fair assessment?

That pricing looks around the same as the 330e, which presumably means it'll work out more expensive on a lease given the likely residuals. If so I can't see many going for the Optima over the Beemer or the VW.

17. Miles Roberts

EV:
    The BMW 330e has a smaller battery, so can only drive for a maximum of 25 miles, and up to 50mph, on electric only. Whereas the Kia Optima can drive at speeds up to 75mph, and for up to 33 miles in electric mode. So I'd say that depending on your commute, the Kia could be much more economical for you.

The Kia is front-drive, so that makes the handling a bit less sporty than the BMW, but in 99% of real world driving, it will make no difference at all. I had no complaints when I was driving the Optima, it seemed sure-footed and agile through the corners.

I'd suggest that if you're in the marketplace for an exec saloon, it would be worth trying the Optima - especially as it comes fully loaded, not with a long list of optional extras like the BMW ("You'd like windscreen wipers and a horn, Sir? They're part of our sound and vision pack!") ;-)

18. Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker Member

Fair point about economy, and I do like Kia's approach of including all the kit as standard. Just wish they'd make the steering feel more connected to the wheels... Not that I'm expecting a big saloon to feel like a Lotus Elise, but something like a Mondeo would be nice.

19. Miles Roberts

EV:
    I really didn't have a problem with the drive at all. Having said that, my daily drive is a Nissan LEAF, so maybe I'm just used to the electric power steering feel?

20. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Did you try any of the other steering modes? The Soul has more than one. I'd think the optima might.

I'm not sure I want that much steering feel. The roads around me are appalling so it would mean knowing about every single ripple and rut too much. I have an older car for that. I can tell what flavour the crisp packet was I ran over. I can feel all the cornering forces. It's fun for a blast but it becomes a bit wearing after a while if you just want to get somewhere. Having multiple modes is definitely a good idea.