1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Kia Optima PHEV

Discussion in 'General Kia EV Discussion' started by Miles Roberts, Oct 10, 2016.

1. m1chaels

m1chaels Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    :( Wouldn't fit in our garage (4650 max)

Any crazy PCP deals? Is it saloon only or is there a hatch?

2. Stead

Stead Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    out of interest have you tried the V60 hybrid and how does it compare? I had a go at one earlier and I was really impressed, although it was a higher mileage, but its offering a similar electric range.

3. Miles Roberts

Miles Roberts Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF, Nissan e-NV200
    It's been a while since I drove a pre-launch v60 PHEV. I seem to remember that the diesel engine was a little noisy compared to the petrol PHEVs. But, as I say, that was a couple of years ago.

I'm not a fan of diesel engines in PHEVs, because if you run out of juice in the city it's not good for air quality.

4. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    VW e-Golf
    The Volvo is a lovely car. However I'm not sure if they're making it now? Too bad with the diesel engine it has found itself on the wrong side of History...

5. Stead

Stead Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    they are still making them, at least they are still selling them, I believe it's the only way to buy a new 5 cylinder diesel plus it has a decent dpf system that requires no maintenance, assuming its the same dpf as the prior volvo engines, personally to me both petrol and diesel are bad for cities, hence why I'm usually against a hybrid and desperately holding out for the m3.

So far the v60 is the only one that appeals but I don't want to get one on finance :( one of the appeals of the Kia was that magical memory seat that seems to be missing from most EV's, just a shame I'm not a fan of Imo overly complicated controls, still there is a Kia dealership a few 100m from my place of work, might take a gander

Lee Dalton likes this.
  6. happy_red

happy_red Active Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Not until a year in November so I'll be on the hunt from around next August.

Miles Roberts likes this.
  7. Miles Roberts

EV:
    New offer on Contract Hire for the Optima PHEV. From just £299.89+VAT on 6+35 BCH.

Contact me for more details.

8. Stead

Stead Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    what's real world mpg like on these? I've only managed to find one figure and that was in a photo of the computer screen showing an average of 31mpg

9. Jack@DriveElectric

Jack@DriveElectric New Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    We have one on hire at Drive Electric currently!

Very nice car, think it has potential to sell well if the pricing comes out right. We are in the process of negotiating our own terms so it will be interesting to see what we get.

Hoping it will fill that price gap between the Kia Soul and the i3

10. Jack@DriveElectric

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Another car to consider in that range is the Hyundai Ioniq and seeing where that lands in the new year

11. Miles Roberts

EV:
    I drove on a flat battery from Blackpool to Burnley, and got 57mpg. The branch manager drove like a bat out of hell on the motorway from Blackpool to Wigan and back without charging the battery beforehand, and got 37mpg.
    In real-world driving, with a charge each day, doing 400 miles over 3 days, I averaged 80mpg.
    So basically, it depends if you charge it, how far you drive, and how you drive.

Lee Dalton and Stead like this.
  12. Tim Ostler

EV:
    VW e-Golf
    I put it to you that you don't own all those cars! :rolleyes:

13. Jack@DriveElectric

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Hahaha, no unfortunately not! I am a philistine and have a GTE on order, but all my commute miles will be electric (WOOHOO)!

They are nearly all sat in our car park and I have driven / lived with most of them though so I claim partial ownership :D

14. Derekosb

Derekosb 2014 Vauxhall Ampera Positiv Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Nissan LEAF, Vauxhall Ampera
    If that 33 Miles is properly achievable then that might be a solution for me when I finally change my Ampera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A larger more practical car than the Ampera as well being more Mondeo size.

Lee Dalton and Miles Roberts like this.
  15. Tim Ostler

EV:
    VW e-Golf
    It doesn't deserve to look so smug..

16. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh Member

I test drove one and it is a lovely car to drive but one major downside is the boot is small for a car of that size. Using the golf club test - no chance of getting my clubs and trolley in and seemingly seats don't fold as batteries in the way. Saloon shape ruled out on this basis. Hopefully the SW and / or the Niro will have a PHEV option before I need my new company car in March next year. My last 2 cars and 8 years have been with Kia and would love to continue. If not then a BMW i3 beckons.

Thermostat9 likes this.
  17. Miles Roberts

EV:
    @Ian Marsh - I can't see the BMW i3 being much more capable for carrying your golf equipment?

Thermostat9 likes this.
  18. Ian Marsh

Ian Marsh Member

Hi Robert
    I agree the i3 boot isn't exactly golf club friendly but with the seats down it is and it is this lack of flexibility in the Optima saloon which I think is about it's only weak spot. I loved the car other that. Fingers & toes crossed for a quick release on a Niro or Optima SW PHEV!

19. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    Worth trying the soul with a golf club bag. Looks like it probably would take one with the seats up.

20. Miles Roberts

EV:
    I hope for a quick release date for the Niro PHEV and Optima SW PHEV too. The standard Optima boot is so cavernous, it's a shame that the battery positioning spoils it.