1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

LEAF owner

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by Malcolm Mackay, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Malcolm Mackay

Malcolm Mackay New Member

Hi folks,

We've owned our 2nd hand 2014, 24kWh LEAF for about 6 months. We bought it with the intention of using it as our 50-mile round trip commuter, but use it whenever we can as our first choice.

Cheers
    Malcolm

2. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

Welcome! Outright or PCP?

Malcolm Mackay likes this.
  3. pbceng

pbceng Chartered Engineer Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Welcome to the slippery slope. You'll find you're driving it more and more just because you can :)

4. Blackeunos

Blackeunos Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    (y)

I'm in the same situation, bought 2 months ago as a second car for the trip to work, but now use it really as the main car and just use the ICE for any long trip.

Malcolm Mackay and John Riley like this.
  5. Paulwww

Paulwww Member

Me too. I take delivery of my 24kw leaf (contract hire) soon and will do a 56 mile commute. I'm keeping my classic old merc in the garage for now as a long range substitute.

Malcolm Mackay and John Riley like this.
  6. Peter Owen

Peter Owen Member

I am also a new member but haven't taken the plunge yet. One thing that I've been thinking about is going EV (I'd be buying used outright) but hiring an ICE for our annual UK holiday (we fly on all other holiday trips). Does anybody do this or is it a cop out lol?

7. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

Everybody does this! Not rent but use the other ICE.. But rent if this is ur only vehicle in which case I assume u r retired?! Having only an eve as ur mode of transport can be risky business if u have to go to work in it everyday!

8. pbceng

pbceng Chartered Engineer Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    With a shorter range EV like the Leaf then either you plan your longer trips taking into account multiple stops to co-incide with meal breaks, maybe overnight stops etc, or if the limits this places aren't acceptable then an ICE vehicle is the only real alternative. In some families where two or more cars are owned this can be relatively simple, in a single car family then renting is the best option. If you buy a Leaf new I think Nissan offer up to two weeks use of an ICE for free so worth checking what deals are around.

Owning an ICE car to sit on the drive for most of the year is a risky option and can prove expensive in maintenance.

If you regularly need to do longer distances for business reasons then a shorter range EV really doesn't work and a PHEV or an ICE is the only option. If you have an enlightened employer with charging points installed within single charge range and you don't often need to travel elsewhere then it's still workable, but if you regularly have to use the public charging infrastructure to meet business travel needs the time element coupled with the wobbly reliability kills the idea. At least that was my conclusion about a year ago hence why I bought a Tesla Model S - that took a lot of soul searching because of the cost but in my case worked out OK with the help of a cheap bank loan. Even then I had my wife's Prius to fall back on, but I'm happy to say that despite my business travel needs having multiplied due to a role change the Model S has done the job excellently and I haven't once even thought about using the Prius.

Peter Owen likes this.
  9. Malcolm Mackay

Thanks. We bought it outright at auction. Owned battery. Had about 16k miles on the clock at the time.

10. Malcolm Mackay

Yes, we are too :)

11. Malcolm Mackay

Good decision. 56 mile commute is easily achievable, even in cold weather when the range is reduced.