1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

More evidence dementia may be linked to ICE emissions

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Disgusted, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Disgusted

Disgusted Active Member

There was a study last year that found sufferers of dementia had increased levels of iron oxides and magnetite in their brains, believed to have originated in internal combustion engines, but no conclusive evidence to suggest that this was linked to the condition.

A new study has shown that people living near busy traffic are more likely to have dementia.

Dementia rates 'higher near busy roads'
    Dementia rates 'higher near busy roads' - BBC News

Tim Ostler and John Riley like this.
  2. Stephen Blackbourn

Stephen Blackbourn Member

3. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    They'd also be poorer as nobody wants to live next to a busy road if they can afford not to.

Zomb and billysielu like this.
  4. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I think some people on here must live near busy roads... ;):LOL:

More seriously, there does seem to be a growing correlation between particulates lodged in the brain and a few brain conditions.

Whether it is from road vehicles or domestic heating oil/industry other pollutants it's hard to say. It's probably all of them, but our politicians do seem quite keen on 'Post hoc ergo propter hoc', especially at the moment.

My brother in law has been working in a university department for a few years now looking at how airborne pollutants circulate around the world, and there seems to be evidence that not all our pollution is 'ours' and that all our neighbours pollution isn't 'theres' either.

That's why stuff like this needs a global approach as well the obvious things to improve local air quality by banning vehicles from town centres etc.

Jon72 likes this.
  5. srichards

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    I'd also wonder whether commuters that breath in this air would not be far more likely to suffer than those that don't commute.

Trains also push out all manner of rubbish that seems to be over looked. The diesel ones are disgusting.

Airports would be another worthwhile place to study. I'd think North Cheshire would be good as it's leafy and posh but you get all the planes from Manchester airport flying right over.

Jon72 likes this.
  6. LeafAlex

LeafAlex Member

Quite a serious problem I think. When are people going to wake up? And what gets me more is why do people defend ICE so much? It's like EV's offend them (as they are so quick to shun them). It seems everything ICE is either crap/unhealthy/old hat/ crap crap and crap.

Jon72 likes this.
  7. Duncan

Duncan Well-Known Member

EV:
    That was my first thought as well: is there any evidence that living near busy roads is a cause, or are dementia and the presence of such roads both just more likely consequences of poverty? Correlation does not imply causation.

The BBC article does say "The researchers adjusted the data to account for other risk factors like poverty, obesity, education levels and smoking so these are unlikely to explain the link." so, if they got the adjustments right there may be some real effect in there. I think this is one of those studies that raises a plausible link but a lot more research is needed.

bryand and cah197 like this.
  8. srichards

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    I'd think sugar and processed food would also be a major factor as well. But if this means stinking clanking diesels are banned sooner then I'm all for this research as an excuse.

Phooby and billysielu like this.
  9. Siraff

Siraff Well-Known Member

Iron oxide and magnetite (found in it) are just metal particles. Would it not follow that someone working as a fabricator/welder/etc would have more content - or even anyone connected with most kinds of metal works?
    Infact doesn't it stand to reason that a road will have a certain amount of traffic with rust on it - some of which will fall off, get run over and particles thrown into the air?
    It seems like a very strange "emission" for an ice engine unless it's on the verge of going bang.

10. mclarkie

mclarkie Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I saw an interesting little video on Facetube where a guy was trying to reclaim a small quantity of platinum from the roadside silt, which he said comes from ICE catalytic converters, what was interesting was the amount of lead and other harmful metals he had to separate during the smelting process, he landed up with a small pebble of platinum.

Made me think how wasteful and stupid it is to keep these antiquated devices on our roads.

LeafAlex and nattydread like this.
  11. Zomb

Zomb Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    [​IMG]

Disgusted, Grum, Tim Ostler and 2 others like this.
  12. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    Causal != Casual.

That is all.

13. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

Wear of engine components and additives in fuel and oil probably account for some of it, then there is the exhaust and cat or DPF that do all kinds of strange things that could end up in the exhaust gasses.
    There is of course the aluminium in new engine blocks that as it wears will be in the emissions too, and that has definitely had effects on levels of dementia / brain damage.

I drive a 2008 diesel campervan, I can't afford to run two vehicles and need the van for work as well as pleasure. There's no viable replacement for the size of van or the range I need , especially not at a price I can afford and so like loads of other people I am driving a vehicle that might be making everyone's lives shorter. Sorry about that.

Siraff and mclarkie like this.
  14. dpeilow

dpeilow Militant EV driver!

EV:
    Tesla Roadster, Vauxhall Ampera
    The BBC was just reporting on this in conjunction with the news about record car sales and especially record diesel sales.

Steve Berry then comes on and within ten seconds started on about EV long tailpipe, before then going on to say that he hopes all cars will one day be electric...

15. dpeilow

EV:
    SMMT now on staying that modern diesel produces almost no particulates and encouraging the pubic to keep buying diesel even in ULEZs.

16. Hairy Leafer

Hairy Leafer Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    I also heard from a temp at work once about a printer/photocopier manufacturer (he didnt say which one) that he once worked with being very worried about some form of link being found one day with the particles generated by laser printers and photocoper toner and the ozone that devices generate causing some serious health issues.

17. Hairy Leafer

Hairy Leafer Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    Then they might have just shot themselves in the foot, its the really really really small particulates that are made by those engines insteead that suspected to be causing the damage (even smaller than the pm10s that are often discussed)

18. srichards

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    SMMT encouraging people to buy more cars shocker!

19. Jack

Jack Moderator

EV:
    BMW i3 60Ah Rex, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    [​IMG]

AtTheVan likes this.
  20. dpeilow

EV:
    She was directly asked if they would encourage more people to move away from diesel and replied absolutely not.