1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

New Electric camper van - 111kw battery

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by familymad, Jan 9, 2017.

1. familymad

familymad Active Member

2. Kentish

Kentish Well-Known Member

RoyOb, nattydread and smartie like this.
  3. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Looks like a nice bus, I'd be interested to hear of any plans for camper versions though.

One things for sure, I guess it won't be cheap if the VW California and Ocean are anything to go by, and they're ICE powered.

I wouldn't worry too much about the '6 EV' engineers, there are few companies with the engineering resources that VW has, even post dieselgate.

If they want to put it into production, and there is a market for it, then I'm sure they will.

The problem is, I'm not convinced there is much of a market for an expensive electric minibus?

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Militant EV driver!

EV:
    Tesla Roadster, Vauxhall Ampera
    gladini and Kentish like this.
  5. Brads

Brads Well-Known Member

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    A PHEV version of the M-Benz V-Class Marco Polo Camper would be awesome (if the battery was a decent size)

6. Tahirs

Tahirs Active Member

EV:
    Audi A3 e tron
    I like it, kids'll have left home by then probably so probably won't be in the target market unless they do a camper version and me and the missus take that camper trip round the UK...

7. donald

donald Well-Known Member

Phhhttt.....

Waaaad'ever......

VDub news = vapourwear

8. Rupert Holdsworth

Rupert Holdsworth Well-Known Member

Agreed, this is vapourwear; which is a shame as I like the concept. Electric family wagons and people carriers make a lot of sense, from the basic boxy shape of the vehicle (aero issues aside) the electric skateboard with a load of seats bolted on top seems sensible as you should have the space for a large battery underneath it all. From a family perspective our family wagon gets a lot of use within a 30 mile radius of home; albeit several times a day (12k ish miles a year) so if I could get an electric 7 seater people carrier it would be great as those fuel costs we have to absorb oursleves; whereas I can reclaim work mileage to cover costs. Also the 5 miles here and 10 miles there and dropping kids off at school then off to swimming lessons etc etc mean awful fuel economy.

The main issue for us is that the family wagon also doubles up as holiday / weekend away transport so to go down that route it would NEED a range extender. Yes I know that you can charge at rapids and it's a small price to pay for that couple of times a year that you do these sorts of journeys but to put it another way, anyone with a young family will know that the worst part of any family journey is the getting them in and out of the car and time sat there in the car waiting is usually argument time with the associated heightened tensions. I would be happy stopping a couple of times for 20 mins or so but there's no way the SWMBO would put up with that; neither would the kids.

Again it seems that usage profiles are not taken into account, something with a smaller battery for perhaps a realistic 100 miles range and a beefy range extender for longer journeys would suit the people carrier profile much better, rather than hauling around a massive battery for the 90% of the time it's potential is not being used. - Basically an much enlarged i3 REX would be perfect !!

dpeilow likes this.