1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

New to EV. Just saying hello

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by Terry 55, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Terry 55

Terry 55 New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Hi. I am on the brink of taking the EV plunge. I currently drive a Toyota Hybrid and my next step is to go all electric. I have taken an extended test drive in a Nissan Leaf and am about to do the same in an Hyundai Iqonic. I will be doing about 12000 mpy so have decided (after reading various threads on here) to opt for a 6.6kw on board charger. Any advise or opinions regarding these 2 cars would be much appreciated before I make a final decision. Look forward to you replies. Terry

donald likes this.
  2. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

Welcome! Hyundai surely not giving u an extended test drive.. how did u manage that?

3. Terry 55

Terry 55 New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    When I say extended, I mean they are giving me the car for 2 full days as opposed to 3 days with the Leaf. How did I manage to get it? They offered it without me asking. Bloke at the showroom said it's what they do now

4. Nihad jaleel

Nihad jaleel Active Member

I'm going there tomorrow! Wish they did the 7 days like good ole days! My advice if ure going to take 12000 miles, go for 15 k If ure planning 15000 go for the 18000 option. Trust me u will enjoy it so much u will cross ur limits soon!!

5. pbceng

pbceng Chartered Engineer Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    I rather like the Leaf although the looks aren't to everyone's tastes, there have also been some stunningly good deals available. I've not seen or driven the Ioniq but based on their other vehicles I suspect it will be a very strong contender. If you search on youtube there are some test drives of the Ioniq and loads on the Leaf which may be helpful.

The Leaf uses the CHAdeMO rapid charging system while I'm pretty sure the Ioniq uses the CCS system and is capable of up to 100kW charge power (Leaf is 50kW max I think). For the moment the public chargers are 50kW max so the power difference isn't significant but will probably become so in the future as updated chargers appear. It's also worth noting that there are far less CCS capable chargers at present - again this will change in the future as CCS is the EU adopted protocol (CHAdeMO is also covered for the future), but at present is a factor.

I would suggest scoping out the likely longer distance routes (ie: out of return range to your home charger) that you think you'll want to do and checking charger availability en-route with zap-map or similar. Note that a lot of Electric Highway locations with two chargers have only one that is CCS capable.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love it.

GTE likes this.
  6. Terry 55

Terry 55 New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Thanks for the advice. I have read a lot about the different types of rapid chargers available. The systems currently in place certainly seem to support the Leaf in terms of practicality and everyday use. I will repost when I have had my test drive over the next couple of days.
    As far as good deals are concerned, you are right there are good deals available on the Leaf as long as you don't want the 6.6kw on board charger. Can't get any deals on that at all. Nissan are really pushing the 3.3kw at the moment, whereas the Hyundai comes with a 6.6 as standard.

John Riley and GTE like this.
  7. Hitstirrer

Hitstirrer Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    In a Leaf a 6.6 kWh is certainly a benefit - but not as much as thought at first glance. Key is really whether home charging is possible or not. If off road parking at home enables a charger to be fitted then, counter intuitively, a 6.6 kWh on board charger isn't as important. Overnight charging to 100% will take place whilst sleeping perfectly well using the smaller 3.3 charger. But if you will rely on away charging then the 6.6 kWh fitted car is essential as speed of charging will become much more important. And also, if your driving pattern will require a swift top up after a commute, to operate the family taxi around social events, then a 6.6 would be welcome of course. Personally I have found the 3.3 adequate for all situations and the lower price more than pays for the few EcoT £6's involved.

The price differential between a 3.3 with great deals, and a 6.6 at a higher price but with no deals, becomes significant. Unless you will need to charge at a 6.6 rate, or intend to keep the car many years, that extra cost is hard to justify for most situations.

Caveat - In my opinion - to placate forum members who love to point out that others are wildly wrong when passing on a personal experience.

John Riley likes this.
  8. GTE

GTE Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Good luck with your test drive. I'd just echo the point in respect of capacity and distribution of CCS Rapids for the Hyundi but you seem to have that covered. This was key to me when choosing to buy a second hand Leaf and I got lucky to find one with a 6.6kW charger despite the dealer insisting it only had a 3.3kW one. The faster charge rate is very handy as I have a smaller battery so makes the car much more usable. This may not be an issue for you with a larger battery.

9. jonesthebees

jonesthebees Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Hi Terry, a happy new year and welcome to the forum.
    I can only echo the advice in the postings above. From my own experience I have the 3.3 charger and there have been occasions when the 6.6 would have been a bonus, I wish I had chosen that from the beginning yet have coped with what I have. There are some stunning deals on the Leaf but as you say not with the better charger, for this reason I have an Iniq SE on order; whilst some regard it as 'expensive' when you consider the safety features alone I think it is OK.
    Let us know your own views after your test drive, you did well to secure that, I think you're the first.

10. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Member

EV:
    Ioniq BEV

Maybe you can learn more from this very detailed comparison of Leaf, Ioniq EV and BMW i3 (use Google Translate).

11. richardglover

richardglover Leaf lover Speak EV Supporter

Hello @Terry 55
    I have a Leaf gen 1 and covered 76k miles in five years. Now also have an i3 94 rex.
    Whilst I would like to have a 30 kWh Leaf, I had reached the stage where the novelty of rapid charging had worn off particularly as with 2 bars down it was necessary to get the maximum in to get 60 miles of careful driving.
    What's important to me is simply doing most of my mileage electric and by having the rex I nolonger need to switch to our mini whenever I can't risk using the Leaf's depleted range.
    The 6.6 charger is good if destination charging offers that but when visiting friends and relatives it is not going to help because they probably will only have a standard 3 pin socket on offer.
    At home overnight you will not notice the difference between one or the other.
    What is important is the wall box you go for. Tethered is most convenient and 32 amp is the most popular choice now.
    I started off just using a socket in the garage and the brick lead and that is slow when needing a top-up during the day. But then I had purchased my car before the wall units became free.
    Anyway the choice of car is all about your particular needs and the depth of your pocket.

GregH, John Riley and Terry 55 like this.
  12. Hilltop Dave

Hilltop Dave Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    The 6.6kW on-board charger only really comes into its own if you expect to do a lot of daytime topping up. With a 3.3kW charger, I find that for my 3-year old 24kWh Leaf it takes 5 hours to charge from 10% (and you won't want to go much below that on a regular basis) to around 95%, so you have more than enough charging time in the 7 hour Economy 7 cheap rate time (if you have or are thinking about an E7 supply).

13. donald

donald Well-Known Member

I asked for a few days test (per an earlier discussion about me going to test them out on range, etc) and was told in no uncertain terms that it was an accompanied drive only. They asked why and I explained that there were many features of EVs that you don't get to really understand until you live with one for a few days, and they guy asked me what I wanted to know, he had all the answers.

I had to laugh.

Anyhow, 'they' have my number and so I'll wait until I hear from Hyundai for a few days testing. If I don't hear anything, it'll be like VW all over again.

Good luck with your own search for an EV, Terry. (y) Remember you don't have to go 'all electric', you can go plug-in with a spare engine to avoid all this 'public-charging' nonsense. Unfortunately, the best EV, the Ampera, is no longer sold 'new' but there are one or two other options new in that category.

14. Terry 55

Terry 55 New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Just as an update, I have completed day one of my Hyundai ionic today. It is a beautiful car to drive and I thought it handled really well. I have to say I like the regen braking system which you can turn on or off to suit. I was disappointed in the lack of boot space compared to the Leaf though. I take it back tomorrow afternoon at which point I will find out how much I can't afford it

GregH likes this.
  15. Bri

Bri Member

EV:
    VW e-Golf
    Hi Terry

I too had a Toyota which I used as a stepping stone into the world of ev's and I must say that it was a great vehicle in every way, which made the decision to very recently go with a BEV quite a difficult one to make.
    I dont have any regrets (yet) and love the vehicle I have now. I only have 3kw on-board charging which has not caused me any issues, but its all down to your own circumstance and use as to whether works or not.

Welcome to the revolution, its a very positive move

Bri

16. Terry 55

Terry 55 New Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Thanks Bri. I have got so much good advice and help on this forum. At the moment the choice is between the Leaf or the Ionic. Both are good cars but the Leaf is the more established in terms of support networks, availability of vehicles and dealer offers. The Ionic has the edge in terms of style (both internal and external), range and for me (my humble opinion based purely on 2 48hr test drives) it seems to drive more like a 'normal' car. Whichever I go for I am looking forward to going all electric.

Bri likes this.
Possibly Related Discussions… - saying hello
  1. A1GSS
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Gizu007
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. peacey
    Replies:
    Views: