1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

New to EVs

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by me-n-max, Jan 7, 2017.

1. me-n-max

me-n-max New Member

Hi All
    I am new to EVs and considering the Renault Kangoo Van.
    I have a diesel Expert van but after seeing an advert for the Kangoo EV I would love to change.
    I don't use the van for work I have it to carry our dogs and I also help several rescues and transport dogs for them.

I commute 10 miles to and from work and take the dogs out so my daily use is about 30 miles so home charging would work well for me.
    Transporting dogs for the rescue should be ok as they are all on a volunteer basis so I would not offer on any that were going to be difficult for me to manage in a EV.

Where I am struggling is once a month I go to visit an aunt in Ipswich, a trip of about 200 miles. I normally go one day and back the next stopping overnight in a hotel but sometimes do it in a day. A trip of 400 miles +
    The trip is mainly off motorway unless I go via London and the M25 but this greatly increases the mileage,

The EV seems a great idea but the whole charging issue is so confusing.
    The Renault battery lease seemed like a great idea as I know how expensive replacements are but most comments I have seen are very negative about leasing.

Finally I have seen a couple of used low mileage Renault Kangoo Vans at what seems very reasonable prices so I was considering one of these to try as a first EV.

I will look through this forum for information but any advice is very welcome.

Thanks

2. Trevor Larkum

Trevor Larkum Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah, Renault Zoe Q210
    @me-n-max Welcome! As well as the Kangoo, also consider the Nissan e-NV200 which is based on the Leaf. Both have a range about the 80 mile mark but the e-NV200 is a bit bigger than the Kangoo.

Your long trip to Ipswich is likely to be a bit of a challenge, but not an insurmountable one. The e-NV200 is available with rapid charging, and the Kangoo, while it doesn't have rapid charging, will soon be available in a long-range version.

News and reviews:
    e-NV200: e-NV200 | Fuel Included
    Kangoo ZE: Kangoo Z.E. | Fuel Included

There's also quite a nice review of the Kangoo here: Renault Kangoo ZE on test

3. me-n-max

me-n-max New Member

Thank you Trevor, good info. I didn't know that some EVs would not take a fast charge

4. Trevor Larkum

Trevor Larkum Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah, Renault Zoe Q210
    Partly that's terminology - I'm talking here about rapid charging on the motorway. Manufacturers often claim their vehicles can fast charge if they charge at 6-7kW, because EVs originally typically charged at 3kW. Rapid charging means 22kW and above. However, you will still see the terms sometimes used interchangeably.