Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Newbie Smith Edison Transit owner, seeks cost effective insurance...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  highwayman 
#1 ·
Morning all,

Just bought a Smith Edison transit, which will be not just be transport but also power supply for off grid site! Struggling to find sensible insurance cost: my diesel van costs £200/year, so far lowest for the electric is £800. I only want minimum legal cover, not replacement cover for expensive batteries. Any suggestions for people to talk to?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Footman James, NFU, AVIVA, Flux,
A lot of it will come down to how you are insuring it. If its being insured as a commercial vehicle, or as a domestic vehicle. Can make a huge difference, same with it being modified, some wont touch a commercial vehicle thats modified, but will do a domestic , and vice versa.

#3 ·
Footman James, NFU, AVIVA, Flux,
A lot of it will come down to how you are insuring it. If its being insured as a commercial vehicle, or as a domestic vehicle. Can make a huge difference, same with it being modified, some wont touch a commercial vehicle thats modified, but will do a domestic , and vice versa.
Thanks for your response. Sounds like you've been down this road! I've got an acceptable result from Aviva, good enough to get me going. The big surprise to me was that a properly done conversion by a large proper engineering company is treated by many companies in the same way as a DIY lash-up.

For reference, I am insuring as my own personal transport - very affordable first EV - so it is Social/Domestic/Pleasure, me only to drive (well over 21, very clean record), insured write-off value same as purchase price, so not asking for replacement value of batteries in the event of write-off.

#4 · (Edited)
I have sold a few vehicles and work with EV owners on a daily basis so I try and make sure I find out what they discover as being good deals or helpful companies that might help others. I also found the anomaly of the conversion/ domestic/ commercial with my own Berlingo Electrique Multispace about 5 years ago.

A number of my recent sales have found insurance with AVIVA, so they cant be too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.