1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

No smartphone, so remote charging is awkward

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by TVEV, Jan 8, 2017.

1. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

So, I don't have a smartphone. Why? When I go out I want to leave the internet at home and get away from it for a change. I do have a mobile phone.

Now, it seems there is a trend for the charge point suppliers to go down the smartphone-to-charge route.

In my opinion, the only people this makes it easier for is the suppliers, not the users. Even if you do have a smartphone, I've heard numerous tales of difficulty in getting systems to work.

I know thinking has to evolve to embrace new methods of doing things, like the step from ICE to EV.

However, surely the current model used by ICEs of going to a supplier to get your fuel, then paying for it in a universally accepted way is not unreasonable.

Fortunately, I am not in the situation of having to use anything other than home charging, so it doesn't apply to me personally. Although I would like to think that the systems are there should I need them.

Putting personal requirements aside, making it more difficult for EVs to become more mainstream, by going down a less accepted way of taking payment, is a backward step IMHO.

2. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    So you'd like your charging stations staffed so you can pay the 'conventional' way? Are you willing to pay more to charge in this way?

Personally I don't like carrying loads of RFID cards, which I can loose or leave at home.

You drive an advanced piece of technology, but aren't willing to get onboard with smartphones that have been around for 10 years?

Eugene Lambert likes this.
  3. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

1. The charging stations don't have to be staffed, do they?

2. Pay more than what? That has no premise.

3. No need for RFID cards, assuming you have one of those old-fashioned credit/debit card thingys.

4. Yes, to the luddite implication.

4. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

Just to add, my motivation for EV ownership is concern for the environment, not for an interest in advanced technology. Although, I do have a selective interest in technology. Paying out monthly for something I don't need/want is not one of them.

5. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    OK - how about 25p per transaction or 2.5% (whichever is the greater) plus connection costs added to the cost of your charge for debit/credit cards?

6. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    So you'd support the elimination of waste by getting rid of plastic cards on ecological grounds?

7. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

I wouldn't mind paying a small premium to use a service on an occasional basis.

Stead likes this.
  8. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

I guess so. Although, If you are suggesting the manufacture of a smartphone is more eco-friendly than a credit card, then no.

Alexander Sims likes this.
  9. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

How about a universal RFID card that all the different companies support.
    A central billing centre paid for by all the companies will bill you for whatever you use with the card.

One card for all the companies, card issued to individuals or multiple cards on the same account for families.

A backup of being able to call a call-centre 24/7 with your personal details and the number of the charger if you have an issue with the card.

Free vend if there's a charger communication error

10. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    Better get rid of the EV then and get a bike. :)

11. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

Are you now suggesting that an EV isn't eco-friendly? Okay, they are not very eco-friendly to produce.

However, once they are on the road, they are certainly a lot more friendly to the environment than any ICE.

And no, I'm not giving up my car and going back to live in the woods.

12. AtTheVan

You can't live in the woods any more, you might step on an endangered wildflower or a newt.

cah197 likes this.
  13. srichards

srichards Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Kia Soul EV
    How much does developing and supporting an app cost compared to just taking a chuffing RFID card of any kind? It's a nonsense. It's not better or more convenient for anyone. The support time for an app with myriad combinations of phone and os is endlessly more complex than a rfid card.

John Kendrick, rikdud, Stead and 2 others like this.
  14. TVEV

TVEV Active Member

It's okay, The p****d newts are flourishing.

15. AtTheVan

Completely agree. Public facing equipment has to be really robust, highly reliable and easily repaired.
    Introducing multiple points of failure into a system and expecting the public to have a reliable and up to date phone is a rediculous thing to do if you have to have a reliable system.

John Kendrick and Spiny like this.
  16. AtTheVan

17. Rob M

Rob M EV Newbie!

Can't understand why the charge points don't have a chip and pin reader fitted or a contactless reader as it's going to be under £30 a go...then you're not tied to phones or cards, just use your debit/credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diagnostic likes this.
  18. AtTheVan

There is an ongoing cost involved having credit card/debit card processing, a couple of % per transaction.
    Plus the maintenance of any chip and pin reader would be done by another third party, introducing more complexity to repairs of the charger.

cah197 likes this.
  19. Stead

Stead Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30
    on the other hand, more people would use it and generate more income!

20. cah197

cah197 Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Tesla Model S
    If someone is too tight to afford an iPhone, why would they pay £6 for a charge?

Giving away free electricity has invited a legion of EV drivers to believe they should travel the country at almost zero cost. Worst move ever...

Jack, E Geeza and Eugene Lambert like this.