1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Passat GTE test drive thoughts

Discussion in 'VW Passat GTE' started by Benjybobs, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Benjybobs

Benjybobs New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    Just had a loan of a passat GTE for the week, and covered a good 700 miles in it, thought I'd write some observations down here, as it would have been useful for me if I was thinking of getting one.

I've had a Golf GTE for a week previously, and there are some similarities and differences, I'll start with that:

Its a pit plusher inside and more grown up than a Golf, it rides better and is quieter. However it doesnt feel quite as urgent (though not far off) and its much softer sprung which you really notice if you lean on it into a corner.

I timed it at 7.6 seconds to 60, the golf on the same bit of road did it in 6.8. I think traction has something to do with this, as on plenty of occasions the traction light would flash in the passat if I gave it a welly full. Even in 3rd gear sometimes when overtaking.

Its great on the motorway, the ACC is really intuative and I went for hundreds of miles without turning it off. I think the economy is better than the golf somehow, although I never got to take that on as long a journey. It seems to be setup slightly differently, I averaged 48 mpg (on the display) after every long journey (>200 miles +), and I never charged it once with cruise set at indicated 75 mph. Once it was maintaining a battery charge it would easily manage 47 - 48 mpg on the motorway. The hybrid and GTE modes both try and get the battery upto 13 miles range. Unless you run the battery down in e mode, then hybrid maintains it at 2 miles, a bit like the golf did.

Performance wise, its a bit of a mixed bag, if you have it in GTE mode, its responsive and pretty quick, however if you dont select the gears manually it can spend a while looking for the best gear, and screaming along at high revs which feels a little uncouth in a Passat. Also without having GTE mode selected or pushing it past the kickdown button, you dont get any electrical assistance, so overtakes in hybrid without kickdown are like you'd imagine a 1.4 would be when hauling 1800kg (i weighed it too whilst I had it, just over 1800kg with me in it). When GTE mode is selected, you can spend some time spinnng wheels if you're ham fisted with it.

Another slight trouble with GTE mode, is the regen is on permenantly, which also means everytime you take your foot off the accelerator, the brake lights come on. You can see it at night reflected in the rear screen and you notice just how much theyre on. I'd hate to have to follow one over a long journey!

The seats a bit hard too, inducing a numb posterior after an hour or so. The premium LED headlights are much better than the Golf's which I found a little lacking in definition, and the only other thing I can think to mention is the fancy pants display for the speedo is mostly a bit useless. It looks nice, but the only bit of info you get which you wouldnt otherwise is the sat nav map displayed infront of you, which works really well.

Otherwise in my opinion it's just a bit of a novelty.

I've listed a few neagtive points there but only because these are what can stand out. On the whole its really good though, the larger fuel tank makes a big difference to the range, its a great cruiser, and has a nice classy feel about it. I'd have one, but I just discovered work wont let me, as I've nowhere to install a charger at my home. Drat!

Pete Mitchelmore, doccb1979 and Ralf like this.
  2. Paul Dockerty

Paul Dockerty Member

How far can you get using just the battery? I nearly went for the Passat GTE but the seats put me off - so interested to hear you mention them. I went for the Kia Optima PHEV seats are bigger and roomier than the GTE. The Kia isn't as quick as the GTE but the comfort was a big thing for me doing 30k+ miles per annum. Also would have liked ACC as the Optima only has standard cruise.

Overall been very happy with the Optima.

3. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @Benjybobs I think I'd agree with most of your observations, although I've only done the commuting side, not really any long distances as such. And I can't compare with driving the Golf ..

BTW how many miles had the car done and was it a saloon or estate?

Haven't bothered with a charger at home as the granny cable works fine at 10A and 4hrs over night. Just frustrating at work as although they have 16A charging they only allow a 2hr slot, so I only get a 75% fill ... (n)

4. Benjybobs

Benjybobs New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    I never had chance to charge it to full, but I believe on a full charge its supposed to do 30 miles.

It has done less than 1000 miles, so maybe those economy figures may improve further still. It was a saloon, I believe there is not much size difference, but I'd wager the estate would be noisier inside on the road.

I agree, and since i'm likely to be moving house next year I hoped they'd be negociable on this, but apparently not, its a shame as the BIK saving alone would have made a huge difference, and it performed well. I've gone for a Volvo v60 D4 instead, which on paper should be similar performance, but will cost me a lot more in tax !

5. Shakeitallabout

Shakeitallabout New Member

Thanks for sharing. When I test drove the GTE I didn't notice the brake lights thing you mentioned. That would also drive me up the wall, whenever I'm stuck behind a car constantly breaking I think it's an inexperienced/idiot driver, I guess when my GTE comes in Feb I'll be branded the same, ah well, at least I'll be able to get away quickly :)

6. steverog1010

steverog1010 New Member

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    I also failed to notice the break lights coming on in GTE mode on my test drive. I was having too much fun to care about what the person in the car behind was thinking:)!
    I am very envious that you are getting yours in Feb, I have to wait til the end of April. My current lease doesn't end until then buy ordered early to hopefully avoid any delays.
    In the New Year will start to look at charging points, have you had one installed yet? If so do you have any advice?

7. Tooks

Tooks Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Volkswagen Golf GTE
    On my Golf GTE, the brake lights only come on below 45/50mph in GTE mode during lift off/regen. If you're travelling quicker than that, and lift off, you don't get brake lights (unless you actually brake of course!). I only notice as I have a dealership rear window sticker just below the high level brake light, so it's quite obvious at night.

I'd assume it works the same on the Passat.

8. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak Regular contributor

EV:
    Volkswagen Passat GTE
    @Tooks Not noticed on my Passat yet .. Will try GTE mode a little more, to see if the threshold are the same as the golf. I guess the behavior will be similar as using the B-drive in E-mode?

One thing that is stating to irritate me is the lack of regen braking on the first 5 miles of a full battery!!! :mad: I guess it's reduced to stop over charging?:confused: But this is so easy to forget and expect the car to slow down at a certain rate ... and it doesn't and then you have to apply brakes harder than you wanted .. :unsure: Arrgggh!

@steverog1010 Regards the charger, don't bother .. the Granny lead is perfect over night! ;)