1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

phone contact pictures

Discussion in 'General VW EV Forum' started by Todor, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Hi,

Just noticed recently that I should be able to see the pictures from my phone contacts on the Discover Pro unit in my GTE. I have been trying to get them to display with no luck.

So, as a final hope, have you done it? Any advice?

2. doccb1979

doccb1979 Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    I have a non-Nav GTE so can't comment on Discover Pro. In CMS I have not seen pictures displayed in the VW phone section.

However when I use Android Auto to phone pictures are displayed nicely. It also works well as I can use the Google voice control to find and call the contact.

3. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    I'm guessing it is not the same, since I don't have Android Auto.... still I think I should be able to see the pictures, but can't figure it out.

4. Tekkfreak

Tekkfreak EV: Passat GTE Advance

@Todor Depends what phone you are using. iPhone seems more difficult from what I've read ..
    It seems the IrMC Bluetooth profile supports the image transfer .. and some phones don't support (or tell the HU they support it, only report PBAP and Handsfree).

Having said that my 2 Android phones still don't show contact images at the moment, although I do plan to try this when I get chance ..
    GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts.
    OR an APP that may improve IrMC support .. Bluetooth Phonebook

The Android Auto / Apple CarPlay should work perfectly as these are direct screen rendering from the phone itself.

5. AtTheVan

AtTheVan Well-Known Member

Of course, you're not looking at the pretty pictures when you're driving are you.

gladini likes this.
  6. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    @Tekkfreak Android here as well: Nexus 5. I also found that thread, but nothing I have tried has actually worked: assigned local images for contacts, exported them to the car, etc. Though, I haven't reset them since the first connection. So, I might try and see how I can do that in the car.

I'm still to test the app, because I'm very particular with what I install on my phone.

7. Tekkfreak

@Todor I reckon if you create a new contact with an new image you download (rather than the auto generated pictures that google steals) .. then re-pair the phone (to see if IrMC profile is allowed) .. it might work :rolleyes:

I'll try on my side too, as I have a Nexus4 and a newer One+ ..

8. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Created a new contact, saved it with an image taken with the phone camera, no luck again. Still have to try reconnecting when I get the time.

9. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Update: over the holidays I got myself a new phone, Honor 8. Did not even bother to connect it to the car until today, and surprise, surprise: I now have contacts with photos in the car.

No idea what happened, or what's changed... the phone connected as the previous, did not notice any differences.

10. Tekkfreak

@Todor reading up on this a little more seems that Google have dropped the ball on this regards Nexus devices ..
    .. see this

Now you have a new phone it doesn't have a broken bluetooth sync service!

BTW out of interest what versions of Android were you using on your old Nexus? I guess you have Marshmallow on your Huawei Honor 8?

11. Todor

Todor Active Member

EV:
    VW Golf GTE
    Both phones have Android 6 Marshmallow, but your link provides some interesting reading. It is possible that Google messed up, but the strange thing is how/why the non-nexus device manages better in this regard...

Anyway, for me it is just another proof that I have made a good choice for a new phone at the moment :D