1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Plug in grant

Discussion in 'General EV Discussion' started by Martin W, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Martin W

Martin W Member

Hi, I was just wondering, what happens when the plug in grant runs out in March 2018?
    Are we all going to have to stump up the extra ££££ ourselves?

2. Duncan

Duncan Well-Known Member

EV:
    Your guess is as good as anyone's. Perhaps the government of the day will simply extend the grant, perhaps they'll extend it and change it at the same time.

If they don't extend it then possibly the list price will drop by about the same as the grant, after all the prices all went up by about the amount of the grant shortly after it was introduced. Or perhaps the manufacturers willl just use loss of the grant to avoid price rises forced by the plummeting pound.

Get your crystal ball out, any all or none of these could happen.

Martin W and halcyonrichard like this.
  3. halcyonrichard

halcyonrichard Well-Known Member

EV:
    BMW i3 94Ah Rex, Nissan LEAF 24
    Some think that a lot of manufacturers take the grant into account when setting prices. But nobody really knows. I would hope prices will be falling anyway with with better knowledge and experience of manufacture. Also the increase in numbers made will make a big difference. I still think there will be bargains about. If sales do fall a lot then maybe they will bring some form of grant back (there are a lot of commitments on pollution and EV numbers from government).

Richard

4. Hairy Leafer

Hairy Leafer Active Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 24
    There is an increasing suspicion that just as with the previous scrappage scheme that prices may being artificially increased by a coincidentally similar amount. In reality not all/much/any of the intended discount may reach the consumer.

My guess is that it will be renewed again but at a similar but slightly lower level (as was the case last year) as even if the cash is going to the manufacturer/dealers it at least gives them an incentive to continue, helps the government to look green and raises awareness of EVs to Joe Bloggs on the street

5. Duncan

Duncan Well-Known Member

EV:
    They might try to address the perception that the grant just goes straight into the manufacturers' pockets, and my cynical side (which I hope no-one here has noticed) tells me that a scheme with a higher headline figure but which pays out less would also be attractive to the government.

My suggestion is they should increased the 'grant' back up to £5000 but instead of paying it to the dealer/manufacturer pay it to the consumer in the form of vouchers redeemable with participating providers of public charging. That way you get more than 800 free charges with Ecotricity, or large amounts of credit on your Polar or CYC accounts.

The vouchers should be split into fairly large chunks and probably split over time (20% valid for each of the first five years after registration). The providers of course could only claim back the money once it has actually been 'spent' so for everyone that doesn't manage £1000 of public charging in a year the government wins.

Massive boost for public charging, driving electric effectively goes back to being free, the government shells out a lot less money, nobody loses. Sort of.

davebodger and gladini like this.
  6. RickMGoldie

RickMGoldie Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    There was an excuse to increase the price for the grant-subsidised ones as they had to have GSM connectivity built-in for data collection in order to qualify. Not sure if they still need that, but they did originally. I was convinced the mobile signal was so weak where I wanted mine that they would reject mine or it wouldn't charge because it couldn't phone home. I already had a GM one installed at my cost before the scheme started, and I would build my own if I need a new one now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Wouldn't that just encourage providers to increase costs if drivers are really paying for it?

8. Duncan

Duncan Well-Known Member

EV:
    Maybe, though remember that those of us with existing vehicles will still be paying for charges so there's still a market with competition.

9. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    True. Perhaps the vouchers could also be used towards installing a Chargepoint - ie merge the two grants?

Duncan likes this.