1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Polar "EV experiences"

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by I'mleafingit, Feb 26, 2016.

1. I'mleafingit

I'mleafingit New Member

Hi everyone, I've had a Leaf since May but just got round to joining the forum, so hello all!

Now, despite just joining, it is difficult to miss the anti Polar / Chargemaster feeling on here, so I suspect I might not get any success, but I'll try asking anyway!

I've just signed up for the free 6 months with Polar and am intrigued by the EV experience scheme. Has anyone on here actually won a 1 week slot in any of their vehicles? If so, how many points did you have in the bank before you bid (as they prioritise the places to those with the highest points balance)?

For example, if in a few months time I've got,say 300 points, I could easily apply for a week with the i8 or the Tesla, however that would be a wasted bid if the people who are actually getting the cars typically have thousands of points, in which case a bid on a lower car (Golf, Outlander, i3) might stand me in a better position of actually getting something?

I don't plan on using Polar once the 6 months free runs out. I have an "old style" plugged in midlands card which was a one off fee and allowed me to use some posts for free. The problem is that since PiM became part of Polar, the map on the website doesn't show which posts will work with my old card; this caused an issue where I thought my card would be accepted, which caused a range problem...and nearly a divorce!
    So for the freedom of having the card for 6 months it has to be worth it during the free period.

Cheers,

Chris

Lee Dalton likes this.
  2. Jools

Jools Well-Known Member

EV:
    , Volkswagen Golf GTE
    After the 6 months, you can use Polar Instant in an emergency. No monthly fees, but a £1.20 "admin" fee each time you use a post - even "free" ones

3. Wideboys182

Wideboys182 Active Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    I am currently on the 6 month free trial due to end in June. I currently have 70 points and did a bid for a LEAF this month (bids are made in the first week of a month) and was successfully they have me 3 different time slots to have the car but turned it down. So am now going for the Tesla which you need 70 points for so am not too sure how successful I would be on that as that car would be a more sought for car than the LEAF.

Not you only get 10 polar points per charge at a different post, not the amount of charges you have in the same post.

4. Rory166

Rory166 Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    My reading of the terms of EV experience is that each month you get 10 points for charging in a postcode area. This is unfair on us county bumpkins who only have one postcode area, ie NR in my case. London area dwellers have many postcode areas accessible eg. N NE NW E SE SW IL RM WC and many more I am sure.

I suspect that not many people use these posts at all so this competition is aimed at getting some users, so that the government does not realise what a huge waste of money all these post have been.

5. proddick

proddick Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Per month in a different town or London postcode e.g. NW. So using three posts in Oxford in Feb only gets you 10 points. Use another in Oxford in Mar you get another 10 points.

I had a link to a blog where someone has done it but can't find it now. It is a bit of a faf. You collect and return to Bedford on a weekday but you cannot leave your car there :(

I have enough points but as a contractor it would cost me 2 days pay to collect and return, so not worth doing at present. I may take a gap after this contract so may bid closer to it ending.

6. Wideboys182

Wideboys182 Active Member

EV:
    Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
    I have 70 points and have only charged @ 4 locations I can confirm its per post as I have 2 down as my local Asda and got 10 points for charging at each.

Trust me try it out of you have 2 posts in the same location you might be lucky enough to get a bonus 10 points like I have :)

I didn't realise it refreshed each month so that good to know will be up to 100 by beginning of March then :)

7. Rory166

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    That is good to know. The writer on the website is clearly wrong according to your experience. We only have one post at Asda but there are others that I will now go and try. I think the points show immediately except during the bidding period which is ist 10 days of the month.

8. Rory166

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    That is a right pain, we loan you a car but you cannot leave your car. So a second driver needed. I thought it was Luton?

9. smartie

smartie Well-Known Member

You only get 10 points per 20 min charge per town per month. So using more than one post in the same area or the same post more than once will not gain you additional points in the same month.

I had 110 points last month but that was not enough to get the Tesla.

I'mleafingit likes this.
  10. proddick

EV:
    You are correct I had forgot location and Google gave me below

Mulberry House, Parkland Square, Luton, Bedford LU1 3LU

11. proddick

EV:
    I think they offered to collect him from railway station?

12. Rory166

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    Was about to like your post but then I realised that Is bad news. Where is the don't like button when you need it.

smartie likes this.
  13. Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith Active Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
  14. I'mleafingit

I'mleafingit New Member

Cheers for the replies. I think you are right Wide Boy, that the top 2 cars probably attract a lot more bids than the others which are more mainstream. I'd like to try some of the other EV offers though, Golf and i3 for example as well as obviously wanting to try the Tesla and / or i8.

I'm only about 50 miles away from Luton so it isn't too much of a faff for me, but I think I'll save up for a few months before bidding. I should be able to accumulate a reasonable number of points as we go to Milton Keynes reasonably frequently, which according to their website will give you 10 points credit for Wolverton, MK, Bletchley, Newport Pagnell as well as a couple of other posts we'll use in different towns.

I did ring Polar this week, but the lady I spoke to didn't know how many points were typically required for the Tesla.

15. proddick

EV:
    You only need 70 points for the Tesla. Do you mean your chance of getting one compared to others bidding?

16. proddick

EV:
    Good point. Going to that area soon so will split my charging over two of those ;-)

17. Tim Ostler

Tim Ostler Well-Known Member

EV:
    Volkswagen e Golf
    @Paul can you borrow the Facebook API for their new reactions..?:rolleyes:

18. proddick

EV:
    Sort of. Misses not being able to leave my car there which makes it much harder for me.

Rory166 likes this.
  19. I'mleafingit

I'mleafingit New Member

Yes, that is exactly what I meant...as smartie said, 110 points was not enough for him/her to qualify for the tesla last month. I'm also sure I've seen contradictory messages on the polar website. One said cumulative points are carried forward, but I'm sure another place said the people with the highest points balance from the previous month would be counted. I think this is important, if it is only last months points then you just bid when you've had a good month. If it is cumulative over a number of months then the best tractic would be to build a good balance up over a number of months before bidding, then each month you stand a good chance of being successful but only "use" the points for the car you go for (understanding that you can only take one of the high performance cars once every 3 months)

20. Rory166

EV:
    Nissan e NV200
    Your points balance at the end of the previous month. I imagine this will be dominated by London dwellers who can easily rack up 1000s of points. You only lose 70 for taking the Tesla so 3 months later will still have 1000s of points to take it again.