1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential EV owner from Warrington

Discussion in 'Ice Breakers' started by Peter Owen, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Peter Owen

Peter Owen New Member

Hi. I have become very interested in EVs of late. A friend has just bought a Gen 2 Leaf (2014 model) and since then I've been lurking round YouTube watching videos from a host of early adopters especially Robert Llewellyn and a couple from Leicestershire - James and Kate.

I'm retired and do about 3,000 miles a year. I rarely do more than 60 miles as a round trip so I think an EV might work for me.

John Riley likes this.
  2. BlackLeaf

BlackLeaf Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    If you are heading South on your trips it's a doddle as there are load of chargers down the M6 (Lymm, Knutsford, Keele, Sandbach ...)

If you are heading North it's a bit skimpier (Warrington Ikea, Charnock Richard ... um ... )

East is into Manchester where I think it's pretty good and I had excellent service from Westway Nissan Manchester charging my car up for me while I was at a conference.

West is probably not out of range anyway.

Peter Owen likes this.
  3. Peter Owen

Peter Owen New Member

Thanks Blackleaf. I reckon for 95% of my journeys I won't even come close to the range limits of the 24kw version which is now quite plentiful as a used car. I've just got one journey that worries me and that's out to Glossop where we used to live. It's a 70 mile round trip and we do it once or twice a year. Out there it's a charge point desert. I'd like to think with careful driving this would be doable on one charge outside of the worst of winter but some posts have got me worried.

4. Grum

Grum Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Hi Peter and welcome to the forum. I'm down the road in Middlewich & I've had a LEAF for 14 months. Stick around as there are answers to most of your impending questions on here.
    Regarding local chargers, don't rely on M6 Sandbach southbound because although installed a year ago it's never been connected. There are lots of chargers in and around Manchester so Glossop won't be a problem if you need to charge on the way back. The Nissan garage in Stockport have a rapid charger and are very helpful. Out of hours if necessary you could top up at Sainsbury's Wilmslow on the way back, or Lymm truckstop. I would recommend you download a charger map to help you find others wherever you are. I like Plugshare but ZapMap is also very popular.

GregH and Peter Owen like this.
  5. Hitstirrer

Hitstirrer Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    Warrington to Glossop return in a 24kw Leaf will be doable in summer, and with careful driving still OK in all but the worst cold and wet winter weather ( wear a coat ). To be belt and braces safe in winter a small diversion to the Rapid at Ikea in Ashton would work. By the time you have walked five miles in the maze that is that store your car will be back to 80%. And you will no doubt be able to find something there to buy to avoid the EcoT £6 charge. Is there nowhere in Glossop where you could plug in your granny lead for a few hours while you are there ? A relative there or old friend ?

Peter Owen likes this.
  6. Blackeunos

Blackeunos Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    I bought a used '64 plate 24kw Leaf last November and do a 70 mile round trip (think it could be a touch more) once or twice a month and haven't had a problem yet.

Although it is to my parents house, so have plugged in to top up when there using the granny cable, as I do use the car for a few miles when down there.

It sounds like the Leaf should be right up your street!

Peter Owen likes this.
  7. Peter Owen

Peter Owen New Member

Just an update. I've been looking at 30kw Leafs and I think that's the way I'm going to go. I rarely buy new cars and I have found only one 30kw Leaf - so far - that is approaching my price range and they wanted £13,500 for it. I suspect over the coming 12 months more will come on to the market especially when leases and PCPs start to run out.

I could certainly manage with a 24 kw but the 30 kw just nails every trip I'm likely to do so I'm going to wait. I will be lurking round this forum in the interim as I am becoming addicted to EVs even though I don't own one!

GregH likes this.
  8. ianatkin

ianatkin Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF
    I live in Warrington and have a 30kWh LEAF. I travel to Liverpool regularly and that's easy. I've also been as far as Preston and back on a single charge with careful driving. The M6 and M62 are littered with chargers so you can go a long way in any direction.

In relation to your trip to Glossop, one option would be to come back through Manchester and use one of the free GMEV chargers to top up enough to get home.

Peter Owen likes this.
Possibly Related Discussions… - Potential owner Warrington
  1. Blue Dragon
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. braggit13
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. MattD
    Replies:
    Views: