Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Reward EV / low emission drivers - allow them in bus lanes?

953 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ringi 
#1 ·
What do people think about rewarding the low emission drivers by allowing them (soon to include me) in bus lanes? Given the quest to lower harmful emissions in towns and cities, why should some of the biggest polluters get their own lanes when the lowest don't?

#2 ·
Bad idea. Bus lanes are there to allow the buses to get through the traffic more quickly than the rest of the traffic so jamming them up with EVs is a bad idea. Much simpler just to ban all pure petrol and diesel cars from the city centres entirely.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I agree with Duncan, allowing EVs into bus lanes will eventually render them useless, it's difficult to offer long term incentives but some have done it:

MK has free parking for EVs and with the number of Rapids should be awash with EVs.

EVs are exempt from the Congestion Charge in London for £10 a year.

I think some councils struggle to see any benefits when offering any incentives and actually see EVs as a way of making money, looking at you AVDC.

#9 ·
MK has free parking for EVs and with the number of Rapids should be awash with EVs.
Its a real shame they put Rapids in so many locations, rather the cluster them in fewer locations, so making it more likely one will be free when a EV driver arrives. It will be very interesting to see if they make much difference to the take up of EVs, as few people will only drive in MK.

But we should at least see an effect on Uber drivers, if the rapids are in locations that are good for getting work, then a Uber driver can charge while waiting for the app to give them the next job. (Just need the 200 mile leaf to make to work.)

But wait for the outcry if MK every decides to charge to their usage......

#6 ·
some of the biggest polluters get their own lanes
dirty takis with only the driver in them flying past all the traffic.
Most of the taxis I see these days are a well known hybrid car, and buses are going electric or hybrid in at least some areas.

I know! we could allow EVs in cycle lanes as long as a no overtaking rule is in force.;)

#7 ·
Don’t like this ideal at all, as when EV become more common someone will have to decide the rules about old EVs using the bus lanes, but new ones not doing so….. E.g if it works, then it creates lots of issues and is not sustainable.

However I would be very happy for only electric taxies to be allowed in bus lanes.

#8 ·
Maybe bus lanes wasn't the best idea unless it's the out of town ones that have appeared in County Durham and serve very little purpose!

What about those lanes reserved at peak times for cars with at least 2 people in - now EVs in those lanes would work.

#11 ·
Ah but 'the poor' will be on the buses in their own lane, on a bike in their own lane or walking on their own footpath so they can't complain! Only kidding of course. I would really struggle to afford a new EV personally with the spec needed to aid my wife's back condition (camera, heated seats etc) - thankfully its a company car and on paper the sums look well stacked in my favour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.