1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Speak EV, the electric car forum for all EV owners and enthusiasts.
    Our aim is to create the best, most inclusive EV forum for all makes and models of electric car.
    We'd love for you to join up and join in. It's quick, simple and free! Join Speak EV.
    Dismiss Notice

Rolec home charger issues

Discussion in 'General Charging Discussion' started by Andy4321, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Andy4321

Andy4321 Member

EV:
    , Volvo XC90 Plug in Hybrid
    Hi

Wondered if anyone has had the same issue as my 32amp Rolec home charger?

The blue flashing light is on, I can connect a car and the light goes green, after a minute or two there is an internal sounding clunk and then the light illuminates a solid blue and stops charging.

Have tried my wife's Leaf and my Volvo, both are the same. Both cars and cables work in other chargers.

Have tried tripping it out and resetting, no joy. Only fitted in January and has worked fine up to Monday night.

Any ideas?!

2. RickMGoldie

RickMGoldie Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Sounds broken to me. Have you looked inside for loose connection. Most likely complete controller failure.

-- Richard Goldsmith : Ampera (2012). EVangelist & Sustainability Champion.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy4321 likes this.
  3. Andy4321

Andy4321 Member

EV:
    , Volvo XC90 Plug in Hybrid
    Have to admit I haven't, I didn't want to invalidate a warranty.

4. Rob Cartwright

Rob Cartwright Member

I have the same, but wiggling the plug in the charger will get it green and charging. It's as if the plug isn't quite locating in the socket. I now wedge a piece of wood between the floor and the plug to keep it located in the socket and that seems to work.

5. bitmanev

bitmanev Active Member

warranty IMHO so call them up

Andy4321 and AtTheVan like this.
  6. Lee Howard

Lee Howard Well-Known Member

I wonder if your internal controller is a Rolec or a Mainpine. The LED indications possibly are the same between them, but they do match what the Mainpine EPC does.

Anyway, the "clunk" you're hearing would mean that the contactor opened. (You should hear a similar clunk when it first starts charging and turns to green when the contactor closes.) The steady blue light means that the EV is connected but that it is not charging. (Duh.) That normally happens when the charge finishes. In your case, however, I suspect that it means that the car was unhappy with the pilot.

It could be a faulty controller. It also could be poor connections. If it's under warranty with your vendor then just raise the matter with them.

Andy4321 likes this.
  7. neilev

neilev Well-Known Member

Just had this issue on a charge master socket turned out it was my cable. The signal wire had snapped and would work intermittently when wiggling the cable round I tested with a multi meter. I fixed it by taking a part the end with the faulty plug stripped back the cable to just past where the cable enters the plug, found the break and soldered if back together. How ever I had to tuck the access 230v wire into the plug as the connections are crimped. This would mean needing a complete new plug and crimping tool. If this is the case a new cable would be cheaper.

8. Vito

Vito Member

I have just had an issue with 32A rolec tethered home charger.
    went wrong last 19th Dec "Chargeev" out to fix this Fri 30th Dec. It charged car to 87% and wouldn't preheat it, completely locked in off position. will report what actually is wrong on Friday after visit.
    Luckily its only really used for school run so not required but could of been worse !
    Oh must add they said Rolec does come with a three year warranty- good job!!

Report back
    Had charger repaired free of charge at 15 months old.
    It was a simple fix just the RCBO -10 mins & job done, seems to be main problem looking at fitters faulty parts bin though I didnt get a definitive fault cause from fitter.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Parax

Parax Well-Known Member

EV:
    Tesla Model S, Vauxhall Ampera
    Seems to be multiple reports of issues with Rolec RCBO...

(first two pics by a forum member here, shared elsewhere)
    upload_2016-12-31_0-2-30.png upload_2016-12-31_0-5-7.png

and from facebook...
    upload_2016-12-31_0-4-19.png

and now on twitter...
    upload_2016-12-31_0-4-50.png

10. BeeJay

BeeJay Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30, Tesla Model X
    Now that I am pulling 32A for extended periods of time off the two Rolecs I have at home due to now having the Leaf and Tesla - and having read this thread and elsewhere I spoke to the chaps at PhoenixWorks who fitted them for me.

I have now pre-emptively upgraded my RCBOs.

I have replaced them with the ones that Phoenixworks recommended - GARO. These units are clearly properly built in quality from the moment you feel one, even more so when compared to the existing Rolec ones.

There were no signs of failure in either of mine as per the pictures above, but didn't want to risk it.

The replacement ones used are these: Product Detail

11. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Looks like several Garo models, e.g. 2 pole, type b or c. Can you clarify exactly which flavour is the correct one? Part number would be fantastic, thanks.

12. BeeJay

BeeJay Well-Known Member

EV:
    Nissan LEAF 30, Tesla Model X
    That link should take you straight to it, but it is a:

"40A RCBO 2 POLE 30MA CHAR B"
    Product Code - RCBOGRB40

HandyAndy likes this.
  13. arg

arg Well-Known Member Speak EV Supporter

EV:
    Tesla Model S
    Here's an online supplier for the one mentioned. Note the critical piece of spec "Type A" (type AC is not suitable, and parts that don't bother to advertise which type they are usually turn out to be type AC).

Search Results

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    HandyAndy and BeeJay like this.
  14. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

EV:
    Vauxhall Ampera
    Thanks for that, one on order! :)

BeeJay likes this.